Beach Body Ahoy!

pregan40

Hey Guys and Gals,

24 Year old brit, professional biomedical scientist, and part time masters student here! Now before you all start rolling your eyes I thought I'd start this post on a positive. The reality being I was diagnosed a type 1 at 22 (woah has it been that long?!) during my undergraduate finals at uni, and yeah despite the absolute S**t I've been through with diabetes I've still come out on top! So its possible guys!! :D

Right now, I thought I'd add a little twist into the whole forum posts that are currently here. I am a 24 year lad on a mission for that all important beach body! haha (Aren't we all!) I'm pretty podgy around the midriff hehe but wouldn't call myself overly fat or anything (CONFIDENCE!!KERCHING) My levels are relatively ok 4-9 most days, and I don't really tend to crash much unless my carb counting has been a little out! Like most of you in the short time of me having diabetes I've had the mood swings, the thrush (sorry for the visual hehe), the hypos, the blindness (due to bloodsugar spiking that was a scary moment I must say!) but after this "investigation period" if you will, I seemed to have gotten to a point where I am comfortable, and my levels are fine! I just need to shift this flab!!! hehe

I've done running in the past whilst, but that hasn't really gotten me very far with losing weight! Obviously we can't starve ourselves, but is there anyone out there who have done any muscle toning, fitness experiments/healthy food eating(realistic foods, not things you would need chef skills to make)and have had positive weight loss results for type 1 diabetes? I apprieciate thats it's going to take that much more extra time to get the holy grail six pack haha, but I'm really determined to have a go if not for me, for you guys out there to show that we to can flippin look good and be diabetic :D

Just a quick one about the mood swings, it's obvious that bad blood sugar levels cause us diabetics to start getting grouchy, when I started cutting out the S**T like (my personal love) Cookies and chocolate, I received positive feedback from my friends and family within days! Diet pepsi was a big part of my life at one point, to get me over the hunger pangs, but yeah, I'm not going to preach about it because I think I then started becoming slightly addicted to the stuff! I'm off and on diet pepsi now because yeah it is a handy tool, and it tastes FIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!! lol but you don't want to overdo it an completely rot your teeth out of you mouth!

Anyway, I shall update this site with any break throughs if I come across any! But for now, Happy sporting! XX Labtec

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I knew someone who did what you want to do by low carbing but increasing the amount of protein in their diet-more eggs,chicken and steak combined with weights at the gym that concentrated on the muscle groups he wanted to work on-his weight stayed pretty much the same but his physique improved 10 fold.
It worked for him but everyone's different.

Elc1112

If you find a miracle each body cure, please let me know!

I do a lot of spinning and cycling and it works absolute wonders for me, particularly lower body and midrif. I also do body combat which is sort of an aerobics based martial art class (I love it) - it's great for the arms and shoulders, legs and core too. I find the middle section the hardest and my tummy is definitely where I tend to put on weight. I find the above exercises help me to lose the pounds (and the inches) but not so good for toning. To tone up - sit ups, crunches that sort of thing. But I find then so dull!

Diet wise, I haven't found one diet that delivers great results and is easy to stick to long term. I gave the juice diet a go and it was great (lost 7lbs in two weeks) but it was hard work and definitely not a long-term plan! I try and stick to low carb/low fat/healthy foods. There are days though where I can happily wolf down an entire pizza lol. The insulin makes it hard for ne to shift the weight with diet alone, so I tend to rely more on exercise (obviously you need to match this with the right foods). I exercise 6 times a week most weeks. Having a routine has helped me to stick at it. Seeing a personal trainer every couple of months also keeps me on track - nothing like paying £30 an hour to be shouted at if you haven't met your goals lol.

If I do get hungry between meals I find drinking a bottle of water helps. Snacking is most definitely my enemy!

I think the trick is to find a diet and exercise an that you enjoy and can stick to. If you can't stand it chances are you won't stick to it. Be patient too. Once you've got the beach bod of your dreams work **** hard to keep it - it's much easier to maintain it than to retrain it (my personal trainers motto lol).

I'm going to stop waffling now. Best of luck with project beach bod!

Emma :)

pregan40

Hehe Lovin your work! Both of you!

Yeah, after the purchase of about 15 men's health fitness magazines I thought right lets do it! hehe

Sound advice from you both, I'll give it a try! Not sure I could cope with 6 days a week training, I think I would die! hehe but I'll give it bash, see what gives! Over an out! Labtec

Elc1112

It's my stress relief lol. Plus I drive right past the gym on the way to and from work so don't really have any excuse (other than all my gym clothes are dirty... Haven't tried that one yet... Hmm). Summer months I try and cycle to work too - it's about 16 miles each way. Only doable if you can shower at the office though!

travism99

Been type one for seven years now, was 280lbs not 230lbs in 90 days. Not starvation diets, but alot of hard work. Results in the picture. MEssage me and I'll tell you what to get.

-t

beginningtocurrent-1.jpg

stumac0127

There's a company called Beach body (American) they do a DVD set called P90x. It's a 90 day program you do at home. It comes with 13 DVDs and a diet plan. All you need on top of that is a pull up bar some dumdbell & a heart rate monitor. If you want to loss body fat you need to do weights (muscle eats fat). Use more calorie then you eat, eat more protein & less carbs. This can be tricky so blood test to make sure you are don't hypo because of the lower carbs. I've been doing this for sometime and have gone from a chubby 14st 8lbs 34% body fat to a much trimmer 12st 5lbs 16% body fat.(I'm 5,11)
Good luck it's worth the work. Ask my wife!

pregan40

Hey Pals,

Wow thats impressive, knocked down to 12 stone odd. Congrats! Yeah the reality of the task is hitting me now! It always starts off well, but then the complications of time management in life can get the better of me lol. I think someone should hold onto my wallet so I can't buy lots of rubbish to eat hehe! It's always the snacks isn't it. Anywaz, onwards and upwards! It's always comforting to know that type 1's are doing well with weight loss as well as type 2. There's a lot more emphasis on the type 2 losing weight than type 1's isn't there. When you read all these weight lost diets and stuff that they're on, I just think, yeah well!!! That sort of crazy diet or routine is just going to bring on an excessive hypo! Guess that part of the pyschological mountain I have to face. JUST DO IT FAT BOY!! HAHA