are salted peanuts allowed?

mandya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hello

i have type 2 diabetes. i love salted peanuts, but once i start i cannot stop eating them. they lower my blood sugar, are they good for diabetics or not?

MadMat

Well they are a bit high in salt, but I do eat some now and again as a snack. I am careful to put a small potion in a bowl though, as you say they are very more-ish, I'd demolish the whole bag if I sat in front of the TV with it!

Mat

Topsec

Mandya,

If they work for you and don't cause any bg issues, stick with them! :)

Still may need not to get too carried away and eat loads ;)

Reactions: 2 people

drew900uk

If you buy red skin peanuts from the supermarket, you can roast them yourself. 200C for 15 mins. They dont really need salt. Alternatively, take them out after 10-12 mins and mix them in a bowl with some kind of chilli/garlic sauce and whack them back in for 5-10 mins. You have to keep an eye on them as once they are overdone, they are inedible.

I;ve been doing that for years. Its much cheaper and healthier than buying the salted ones.

yummy!!

Reactions: 4 people
A

Anonymous

Salted peanuts are one of my staple snacks - carbs are fine (0.6g carbs per 50g)

bedshaped2000

Tent. peanuts are very high carb and technally they are not a nut they are a legume which i think is a type of beanI used to think they lowered bloods aswell. check bgs after three hhours u might get a hell of a shock. the reason thry lower bgs first is bcause of the fat con

Reactions: 3 people
A

Anonymous

I have never found that to be the case. They dont increase my levels at all.

agnostic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tent. peanuts are very high carb and technally they are not a nut they are a legume which i think is a type of beanI used to think they lowered bloods aswell. check bgs after three hhours u might get a hell of a shock. the reason thry lower bgs first is bcause of the fat con

Peanuts are not advised by several prominent doctors like Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Perlmutter and even Dr. Mercola. They are high carb and they definitely send bgs levels up, albeit after a while. Peanuts are NOT nuts, but legumes.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@MadMat wrote, "I am careful to put a small potion in a bowl".
I'm desperate to know, what does this witch's brew contain? Will it also act as a chocolate deterrent?
Sally

D

Deleted member 83869

16g of carbs in 100g peanuts so not that many at all, have always been told they are fine too! and they don't affect me either!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They certainly don't affect me either... Except for getting stuck in my teeth!

Careful that you don't shove yourself over on calories or salt..but as a snack they do not raise levels line grapes etc.. They give me some fat that I lack... Even with salt.. There are days when I only eat fresh fruit n veg n meat n dairy..andmy salt is lacking especially when working in the sun and sweating all day.

Its up to i dividual to find their tolerances....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone give us the exact carb count for salted peanuts I can't find it and different posters seem to have different numbers
CAROL

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Can someone give us the exact carb count for salted peanuts I can't find it and different posters seem to have different numbers
CAROL
Just checked the macronutrients. Per 100 g of salted peanuts:
Protein: 27 g
Carbs: 3 g
Fats: 51 g

I regularly have salted roasted peanuts, but I also use 'the-small-bowl' principle to have a semblance of portion control ...

annelise

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great relief they are my best fattening snack
CAROL

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We need to look after our blood pressure as well as our diabetes!

Why not try unsalted peanuts, they can be very addictive after you get over the initial shock.

jim

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some of us don't get salt from our food!!

Peanut carbs vary enormously per 100g. Best to check the packet...

I choose lowest and don't need a bolus.. But then again I don't have them daily.

I do walnuts daily and never count 6 halfs of those.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
The bag in my kitchen says 17.5 gms per 100gms. They are also the lowest GI of all.
I kind of wondered about this piece of information and rechecked the package. I see that fibres are at 13 g - and if counted as carbs (not declared as such though) - my 3 g quoted above + the 13 g fibres would tally with your number. - There may be a difference in inclusion or not inclusion of fibres in the carb count?

annelise