Neuropathy in feet

Bluefoxy

Hi,

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for some years now. As well as metformin, gliclazide and a byetta pen my doctor has also prescribed gabapentin to help with the pain of neuropathy in my feet. Having joined this forum about a month ago and going on a low carb diet my bg readings have come down quite dramatically and for the first time I feel I have some control over my diabetes. My question? Is the neuropathic complication in my feet irreversable? Or will the continuing low bg readings cause some reduction in the pain?

Ray

ticker7

Hi Ray,
I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in 1999. In 1995 I started getting neuropathies in my hands and feet. I lost all feeling in the outside of my left foot and toes, and it then started in my right toes. It was only after I saw a diabetes consultant in 2002 and started getting my blood sugars under control consistently that the numbness finally disappeared. So there is hope just get those sugars down! All the best

Chris

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I suspect that neuropathy can be reversed at some stages, but if it goes too far, that's it!
GOOD bg control, at or near NORMal should help.
Hana

Topsec

My T2 husband had quite bad neuropathy in his legs and feet, fortunately for him within a day or so of starting LCHF diet it disappeared 95%

It did come back one night though when we had had too many carbs at dinner :oops: So I figure it is just there waiting. I am led to believe though that the nerve sheaths can partially heal themselves over time so hopefully that is what they are starting to do now :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope the pain reduces over time BF :)