Benfotiamine and/or vitamin supplements for neuropathy

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
With apologies to moderators, I have posted on peripheral neuropathy earlier today, but later noticed an older post on acai berries and benfotamaine where users discussed their use and also vitamin supplements for the problem of peripheral neuropathy, and I am interested to know if any original 'posters' are still using the forum as I am quite interested in discussing this with them. I thought if I posted on the original post nobody would notice it :!:

Adam63

Re: Benfotamaine and/or vitamin supplements for neuropathy

I bought some of these pills from Amazon a few months ago. I have no idea if they are
effective, but as they are not especially expensive, I thought I would try taking them for
six months or a year.

I would be interested in any significant research in their effectiveness.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watch the acai berries if you have a sensitive stomach. I tried the capsules from H&B, they gave me an acid stomach and terrible pain. I googled this and this is a common side effect. Can't say they did anything for me either.

Adam63

Apparently benfotiamine works by helping the body metabolise what are called advanced glycation end-products. I suppose these relate to the glycated haemoglobin that is measured by the HbA1c test. It is elevated levels of these AGEs that are implicated in conditions such diabetic neuropathy. As benfotiamine appears not to be in any way harmful, being a freely available vitamin supplement, I am going to keep taking it, until some studies suggest otherwise.

I found some studies and they suggest quite a high dose around 500mg per day.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Adam63 interesting reply as I would rather try natural than chemical relieve and live on
Painkillers! Wondering if you could PM those research links to me please? As long as befotimone is
Not harmful ?

Defren

))Denise(( said:
Watch the acai berries if you have a sensitive stomach. I tried the capsules from H&B, they gave me an acid stomach and terrible pain. I googled this and this is a common side effect. Can't say they did anything for me either.

I am using acai berry's as a detox. So far so good, no side effects and I tend to have a sensitive tum but I do take Lansoprazole 30mg a day for acid reflux, so that may be why I am ok. The Metformin gives me terrible pain if I take it on an empty stomach though.

HpprKM

Dislikes
I take one slow release a day always after evening meal, not sure you should take on empty stomach. But the 2 a day regular metformin did make me nauseous that's why I switched to slow release.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks Adam63

Adam63

benfotiamine "ben - fo - tiamine" is a Benzyl Phosphate modified form of Thiamine i.e. Vitamin B1. It is more quickly taken up by the cells than Vitamin B1 as it is more soluable in lipids ( the fats in the body).

HpprKM

Dislikes
Well, I have looked at the links that Adam63 kindly sent me, and done some research of my own. As with most research on the internet there are many conflicting reports on the benefits and/or side effects of this supplement which often leaves the novice researcher more bewildered than anything. In my research I found this link that, with other findings, has kind of left me sitting on the fence with this one, at least for now:
http://www.raysahelian.com/benfotiamine.html
As a diabetic T2 with signs of peripheral neuropathy I love to think that there is a somewhat easy way to repair, reverse or eliminate just some of the discomfort caused, however, the sceptical side of me says that I just cannot believe it is so easy, otherwise why aren't all sufferers taking it :?:

I appreciate all comments and replies to my query, but for the while, without more concrete proof of the positive effects of Benfotiamine and more reliable evidence of its being harmless (other than that given by manufacturers' websites), with negligible side effects, I do not think it is for me right now.

I would also add, that I am not advising current supporters and users of the supplement to stop taking it!

However, I welcome all comments on this. :D

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I am astonished by how quickly and effectively benfotiamine works to reduce pain. I take it that this is basically an anti inflammatory.
I have suffered ankle and foot pain for many years, following really bad ligament damage long before I became diabetic, and amazingly benfotiamine stops the (arthritic) pain virtually overnight.

maccare

I used benfotiamine to cure my neuralgic pain in my scalp left over after shingles. Within a day my scalp was pain free. After a week the sharp pain in my ear went away. My wife, who is Type 2 and 3, is using benfotiamine to control her dementia. Five 250mg capsules per day in three dosages with meals.

maccare

Note to HpprKM:

Your source for info on benfotiamine, raysahelian, is not the best. There is a lot of work out there. benfotiamine.org for openers.
I'm new here so I don't know how many references I can give you.