T1 diabetes and drinking = a death sentence?

TheSparkyPony

Am currently at university studying for a nursing degree. I love the course, and have some great uni mates. I'm currently working towards a first, which I am VERY happy about!

However, they all like to go out drinking. I don't want to be stuck on the PS3 at home or reading medical journals so I go with them.
Been out 3 times in 3 weeks, hardly a lot.

Went shopping yesterday and had a cocktail pitcher afterwards, and my friend posted a pic of me drinking on Facebook.

My mother saw the pic and went mental, and rang my DSN saying she was concerned. DSN now wants to see me on Tuesday to discuss drinking with me and implications on my pump.

Am I really that bad? Why can't I go out with friends and enjoy myself, and have a social life? It's easy to say don't drink, or just have one, but when all your mates are having fun, why should I restrict myself?

I realise I must sound like an immature idiot. But I don't smoke, don't do drugs, and before uni I never went out, par twice a year or so for friends birthdays. I look after myself, pay all my own bills, rent etc.

Am I being unreasonable?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
You are absolutely not being unreasonable!

However, it is a good idea for you to discuss how to stay in control whilst drinking. How to adjust for alcohol and ensuring if you do drink when you sleep your BG's are stable through the night.

I Personally don't drink often at all, once in a blue moon, but when i do, i go for it.. Through practice and with the pump my BG's are fine whilst drinking, because i know myself and my body enough to know when to correct or when to decrease my basal or how much to eat to sustain a good BG overnight.

You shouldn't restrict yourself at all! But you do definately need to have a chat with your Nurse so she can advise you on starting tips for diabetes mixing with alcohol and partying :)

Elc1112

I've been diabetic for over 20 years now and I see absolutely nothing wrong with having drink. It's a life-long disease, bit a life sentence. Some drinks make my sugars spike more than others. Cocktails, for example, make my sugars rise. Not to say you can't have them, just bear it in mind. My hypo awareness is also lower than usual if I've been drinking - it's sometimes hard to distinguish that hypo feeling from the "I've had too much to drink" feeling.

Ok, excessive binge drinking isn't going to e good for your diabetes. To be honest, it's not good if you're not diabetic. Just don't go mad and make sure you have something with you incase you go hypo etc and there is no reason why you can't go out and enjoy yourself. Also make sure your friends are aware that your diabetic and know what to do if you're unwell etc.

I always get a bit over-defensive web me DSN tells me not to drink or not to wear high heels etc. You know our diabetes better than anyone else and it sounds like like they are massively over-reacting.

Enjoy uni and well done for being on track for a first!

Emma x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
TheSparkyPony said:
I realise I must sound like an immature idiot. But I don't smoke, don't do drugs, and before uni I never went out, par twice a year or so for friends birthdays. I look after myself, pay all my own bills, rent etc.

Am I being unreasonable?

It never crossed my mind that you were immature SP and your certainly not being unreasonable in wanting a social live especially whilst you are working so hard. I think that if you speak with your SDN you may find her/him more sympathetic than you are perhaps thinking right now, these nurses are not a bunch of killjoys, and will no doubt advise you that when you have a drink to just keep an eye on your levels and perhaps eat some long acting carbs before going to bed.

Although a T2 I was put on insulin at diagnosis and advised to eat some nibbles, peanuts or crisps if I went for a night out drinking and to maybe eat a slice of pizza on the way home to ensure my levels didnt plummet during the night.

You sound like a very sensible young person and I'm sure your mum is very proud of you and just being a mum, and mums always worry about their children, its their job :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Sid is spot on!! :D
You work hard and a bit of playing hard is mandatory at UNI! :thumbup:
With precautions-ENJOY YOURSELF and GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR COURSE!! :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TSP, hopefully your DSN will give you some advice on drinking safely with diabetes, life is for living and enjoying and a occasional drink (in moderation of course) is far from being unreasonable.

I think it's nice that your Mother is concerned for your welfare whilst at Uni :)

TheSparkyPony

Thank you everyone. I think it just hit a raw nerve last night and I wanted to share my fury with fellow, hopefully empathetic diabetics! :oops:

Not quite looking forward to Tuesday though. I have briefly mentioned drinking before with my DSN, but she just recommends vodka and diet coke, and beer. Not quite the palatable drinks I was thinking of!

I just want to fit in with everyone else, as cheesy as it sounds. I know I can't be exactly like my peers, but I'd like to at least try! Sat with orange juice while everyone else sips wine just doesn't sit right with me (not that I could drink OJ anyway, too sweet! :roll: )

Thanks again guys xx

Cheryl

Unfortunately Bacardi Breezers & Crabbies Ginger Beer are out, but there is no reason at all why you shouldn't enjoy a drink or three. I wasn't diagnosed until aged 26 and I can say that a hangover with diabetes is far far worse than one without. Therefore I have learnt my limits. I was never one for getting falling over drunk anyway, but there is no way I could ever drink the same quantity that I used to, on occasion, before diabetes. I can drink spirits far easier than beer, wine is fine too. At the pub, diet coke or diet tonic are usually the only diet mixers available, so Pimms jugs are out (which I would love to share with friends in summer) and so is anything with Lemonade.

I have to say that I'm rather appalled that a parent of an adult child thinks that they have the right to discuss their adult child's health with an HCP without the adult child's consent. Personally, I don't think that the DSN should have entered into any sort of conversation with your mother without speaking to you first. I'd give my DSN a good talking to for that alone, but that's just me.

Being on a pump does make things a bit easier, I consider a temp basal of 95% if I've had a couple too many.

Enjoy life! Just be safe.

sophie7

I definitely don't think it's unreasonable at all! It was one drink! Uni is the time to enjoy yourself - I personally don't drink but then I've had a problem with hypos for a while now, and to be honest don't really trust any of my friends to keep an eye on me for hypo warnings! At the end of the day, as long as your sensible and eat when you drink, and make sure your friends who you go out with understand you situation, than there's nothing wrong at all!

I know about over-bearing parents, believe me - just be honest in your appointment - tell them what you've told us. They can't be mad at you!

Good luck :) Hope it goes well.

Sophie