HELP!!!

going mad

Hi there, I have had type 1 since i was 13 months old!! I very rarely get bm's below 15 and am quite often running above 25. I struggle coping with my diabetes and often cannot be bothered with it as i have got myself into a routine of thinking well whats the point as i still cant get control even when i do try. When my diabetes team ask how my bm's are i tell them the are fine, i always 'forget' my record book at appointments and wont tell them anything even though they are there to help me. The only way that i can think of describing this is like being addicted to drink or drugs as i know that it is harming my health but i cant seem to stick at doing things properly. i dont talk to anybody about this as i think they will blame me which i know sounds silly as i am writing this now!! my last hba1c was 12.8. i am in desperate need of help and advice, or just someone to talk to that mite know what im on about as i cant go on like this for much longer!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi going mad,
I'm in 2 minds how to answer your post. On the one hand, you clearly need and deserve help and support to get yourself in control, quickly. On the other hand sometimes the last thing anyone want to hear is a smart-**** like me telling them how they should be doing it.
My guess is that you have been discouraged by your efforts to gain control and have resigned yourself to the cycle of failure. Your care team won't be deceived that your bs levels are fine. One look at your HbA1c will tell them that your bs is permanetly in double figures, and high ones at that.
I have a feeling you really want to end this cycle, but because you haven't asked for help before you have made it impossible to get it. That cycle ended with your first post.
You can and will get this under control. You have no other choice. We can help you do it.
Please tell us your age, your insulin regime and daily doses, your diet, your bs levels during a typical day, and your blood lipids, if known.
We know precisely how hard it is to be in control, but many of us now know how to do it.
Check out the success stories thread if you need any more inspiration.
Now it's down to you. Please keep in touch and we'll support you.

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As Fergus has written, I suspect you want to get on top of this. You know you need to, because of the consequences of not doing so. you also sound young.
If you give us the answer to Fergus's questions, we'll know enough to help you. In any case, we'll support you.
there's a lot of knowledge and experience here for you to draw on
All the best
Hana

going mad

hey fergus
yes i think i am definately discouraged by the way things are going and yes i am in a routine of well it doesnt seem to work when i try so why bother, although i probably dont stick with it for long enough i dont have the patience anymore!!!!!! i am 20 years old and am currently taking lantus in am an humalog with meals, i am on 1 unit per 5g cho plus 2 units which can get a bit confusing!! my meal time are pretty iregular due to my job i cannot always eat proper meals at set times. i used to think i ate fairly healthily but im not so sure any more my daily carb intak is prob somewhere between 300g - 500g. my bs vary drastically and swing drastically. they can be anywhere between 5 and hi, although usually above 15mmol/l. i keep saying that next time i see my dsn i will tell her wots really happening and how i feel but i find it difficult to open up to people. the only family member i feel comfortable talking to is my brother but he lives in wales. also im ashamed of myself for letting this go on for so long and that i have let everyone down!! definately need help posibly mentaly as well??!! :cry:

going mad

hi sarah, i have previously tried spliting my lantus with no luck, i was having hi's during the day which i do anyway but was constantly going hypo during the night. i am currently trying to get a pump with the help of my dsn but have been told that i am borderline on qualifying for one and that i wouldnt get one before the middle of next year :!: i have tried in the past writing things down for people ie counseller a few years ago but this did not really help, she felt that i did not particulaly need to see her again which i found odd considering i told her pretty much everything i have told you in this forum :?: :!:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi goingmad,
I think the anonymity of the interweb is a great resource when it comes to talking about subjects like this. I'd bet 90% of the members here have told each other things they would find impossible to discuss anywhere else. It's like a virtual confession booth!
You don't have time to wait for a pump. Your bs numbers are doing you permanent harm right now, but it's easy to see you are highly intelligent, so this won't be news to you. I can hear the groans of the other members ('jeez, here he goes again!') but your problems are I suspect almost entirely due to your 'healthy' diet. 3-500g of carbs per day isn't healthy for anyone, but for a diabetic it's more like a suicide note!
You will get a lot more info from some of the 'carbs' threads, 'success stories' etc. than I can cover here. In essence, injected insulin cannot cope with those levels of carbs. It's inevitable that your bs will be up and down like a toboggan ride. This is not your fault, any of us eating that way would face the identical problem.
You must radically alter your diet. Eliminate as far as possible all refined and starchy carbohydrates, the carbs you eat should be from unrefined sources such as vegetables, some fruits and nuts. You can eat more protein foods and fats (except the trans fats in refined foods of course.) You will dramatically reduce your need for insulin and your bs will become much more stable. Once you have that stability (a couple of days, tops) you will quickly find the confidence to lower your average bs value.
One final promise. Do this carefully and determinedly and by Xmas you can have non-diabetic HbA1c levels. Imagine that, an HbA1c of 5%! You can do this if you really want to.

All the best,

fergus

going mad

hey
thanks again for yor help!! i think that the only reason that i have 'told all' is because im not talking face to face and dont feel as though anyone is thinking well she is obviously doing this on purpose which i have had said to me in the past as most people on the forum can probably simpathise and understand my dilemas. i will take note of my carb intake for the next couple of days and see when i am having most, my first bm of the day was 16 so will work on that!!
thanks again, its good to have people to chat to and know that i am not alone!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
On this forum, you're never alone. ssomeone always comes up with the answer for you
Hana

Lel

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel and i really sympathise.
I didnt have a clue about diabetes which is why i let myself go for so long and i could totally kick my own ass for doing so.

I joined another forum like this one and it has made all the difference to me so you have taken a step in the right direction.

The first thing i would suggest you do is restrict your carbs, eat as little as possible until you get yourself under some better control and then you will start feeling better as your number go down. this is what i started doing a couple of weeks ago and i totally wish i knew to do it sooner.

Once you have a bit more control things wont seem so dire anymore believe me.
It sucks to start cutting out the foods you love but as time goes on you stop craving them and then you are able to look forward to having them as a treat.

I hope things work out for you ok and if you need any help or support i would be wuite happy for you to PM me and ill help you as much as i can, im only 24 so not far off your age and it helps knowing someone knows what your on about.

Take care xx