Metformin and Vitamin B12 deficency

Franky69uk

Does anyone know if there is a link between metformin and Vitamin B12 deficency. A friend of mine who is D2 and on metformin had a blood test whcih shows this deficency. He is now having regular (ie once every two months) Vit12 injections. Apparently signs of the deficency are absolute fatigue, numbness in limbs some memory loss.
I spoke to a consultant about this and he said that he had never heard of it. looked it up on his computer and said that it only affected 1% of diabetics. Very slight I know but what if you are in the 1% bracket?
I'm seeing my doc on Monday and hope to ask him abut this. I'd be really grateful for any observations.
Frank

Franky69uk

Thanks for replies Catherine and Madmat. I'm just wondering why some docs say that hey have never heard of a link. I'm seeing my doc on Monday. There is a simple blood test apparently which can determine low levels. I'm going to ask for it so that I can delete it from possible causes of fatigue.
Forgive me for touching on one other point. I've been on Warfarin for over five months and am just about sick of tests to try and get it stable.. I've just been reading that a new drug called Dabigaran is superior to Warfarin and you don't need regular blood tests. So I'm going to ask about that too. Apparently it is not going to be generally prescribed because it costs more than Warfarin. Now where have I heard that whinge from the NHS before??
Thanks again
Frank

Defren

Funnily enough I bought some Vit B12 supplements only yesterday, and began to take them immediately. No changes yet, but they possibly will take a little time to work. I suffer with absolutely dreadful fatigue. My GP prescribes Adcal-D3 caplets, but I also bought a Vit D 1000 spray yesterday and started that as well.

C

catherinecherub

Franky69uk said:
Thanks for replies Catherine and Madmat. I'm just wondering why some docs say that hey have never heard of a link. I'm seeing my doc on Monday. There is a simple blood test apparently which can determine low levels. I'm going to ask for it so that I can delete it from possible causes of fatigue.
Forgive me for touching on one other point. I've been on Warfarin for over five months and am just about sick of tests to try and get it stable.. I've just been reading that a new drug called Dabigaran is superior to Warfarin and you don't need regular blood tests. So I'm going to ask about that too. Apparently it is not going to be generally prescribed because it costs more than Warfarin. Now where have I heard that whinge from the NHS before??
Thanks again
Frank

Surely the cost of Dabigatrin would be offset by the need for the expense of regular blood tests whilst on Warfarin.

There is an article in Pulse today which says the cost of Dabigatrin has been reduced by 13%.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsarticle ... uced-by-13

Franky69uk

Thanks ever so much for your input catherinecherub. I entirely agree with your thinking on costs and thats not taking into consideration the time spent by the patient in going for these blood tests . So far I've had 13 since November. And its still not stable. Anyway thanks again for your input. I appreciate it. Let you know what happens on Monday.

iHs

Hi

People can get hold of meters a bit like bg meters that will determine INR levels so that they can adjust the medication they use themselves.