Honeymoon Period

seabill

Hi All

Has anybody experienced the above (regarding diabetes!)?

I was diagnosed on 04/07/08 as a T2 by a Doctor, and he put me on Metformin.
15 mins later a DSN said I was T1. Decided to listen to Doctor
Went back to hospital on 07/07/08 for review, another Doctor said obviously tablets weren't working
so straight on insulin.

On Novomix 30 have gone from 24 units in morning/ 14 in evening
to 08/06.

Local clinic called me this morning really pleased with my BS control but shocked when
I told them of my gradual reduction on insulin.

She told me I must be going through a 'honeymoon period'.

Seabill

Geoff

Hello Seabill, Yes it is quite normal for most type 1 diabetics to experience a honeymoon period, were by your pancreas continues to produce vairing amounts of insulin for months or even years after your diagnoses. I have been a type 1 for more than three years and my pancreas still produces enough insulin in the morning, that I can eat up to 30grms of carbohydrate for breakfast and it has no effect on my bs, but by lunch time if I try eating only 25grms of carbs, without insulin my bs with go out of control.

seabill

Hi Geoff

Thank you for your reply.

Do you have an injection in the afternoon and night?

Kind regards

Seabill

caitycakes

Hello seabill,

I too was recently diagnosed and am "honeymooning". I was started on 10 morning and 10 evening and reduced to 1 in morning and 5 evening. I think most type 1's honeymoon for a while. I think it's because the pancreas has been slogging away without enough insulin to produce and when we start to inject it gets a helping hand so becomes quite productive for a spell. No-one can tell how long the "honeymoon" will last. Basically you have to keep an eye on your glucose levels and adjust accordingly.

Regards caitycakes

seabill

Hi Caitycakes

Thanks for update. I hope we both enjoy an extended honeymoon period.

It seems a shame that there is nothing we can take to assist the surviving beta cells.

Kind regards

Seabill

Katharine

There are some things that are at the clinical trial phases though.

Diapep, something related to the bcg vaccination and Dr Faustmann's chemotherapy regime are some things that won't benefit you but hopefully will come in time.

willogs

Hi I have been honeymooning since feb, drives me mad some days not knowing how my BS is going to be that day.Geoff I am so pleased you posted your reply as I am exactly the same where by I don't need any insulin of a morning but after dinner and tea I do. My DSN said it was unusual for this to happen. I only take 3 novorapid at lunch and 5 at tea. sometimes wonder if it is worth it but if I don't have any then my bs rockets its all very odd.

seabill

Hi Katharine & Willogs

Thank you for provided information.
I really appreciate your thoughts.
Going to research Diapep and Dr Faustmann, now.

Kind regards

Seabill

Geoff

Hi Willogs,

Yes that is interesting, I have been in the same position as yourself. You are the first type 1 that I have spoken to in the last three years that this happen to! How many units of rapid insulin depends naturally on how many grams of carbs you eat at each meal, but generally I use between 4.5 and 5.5 units with my main meals, this suites me up to a maximum of 48grms of carbs at each main meal.

Geoff

Hi Sebil, sorry for not replying sooner, I have be on the road, so as to speak for the last two days travailing back from India, where I work at present on contract.

In your question, "Do you take two injections, one in the afternoon and one at night" I presume you are referring to basal and not rapid acting insulin? if that is question, yes I split my basal (lavimir) injections, one mid-morning and one at night, twelve hours apart.

willogs

Geoff, how long have you been like this for? My consultant says that he thinks that we may still be in the postion a couple of years down the line. !! I forgot to take my 5 novorapid at tea and just did BS 18.9! Have now have 5 units and will test before bed. Do you take a slow acting insulin too? I was taken off that as I was having hypo's before every meal. Its crazy how the body works.

Geoff

Hi Willogs, I have been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic since June 2005, at the age of 49 years 10 months and after stabilization and coming to the conclusion after three months, that I was taking too much insulin on a day to day basis, I found that I could eat up to around 30grms of carbs at breakfast without it affecting my bg readings. I talked this over with my Diabetologist's and he thought the fact that i could do this, was due to my very tight control of my diabetes from the onset, this was taking pressure off my pancreas and allowing it to continue making small amounts of insulin. He told me this could last more than two years.

As regards your question concerning "slow acting insulin" I presume you are referring to basal insulin? Yes I take just under 50% of my total daily requirement as basal in the form of Livimir, split two time per day.

seabill

Hi Willogs & Geoff

Thank you so much for your positive postings. I plan to keep a tight
control. I've been taking 8 units of Novomix 30 with my porridge at 7am.

And 4 units with my afternoon/evening meal. Then exercising at night.

And thankfully, my readings have been good.

Kind regards

Seabill

willogs

Seabill

How do you find the Novomix30. I started on this but found this difficult to manage, e.g eatting at certain times etc. Have you thought about the 4 injections a day, it has made my life so much easier ( I am only taking 2 injections at the mo!)

seabill

Hi Willogs

It was what they presented me with on my first day.
So I dont know if Novomix 30 is the best for me.

I was going to go to 4 until I realised my gradual reductions
in units weren't affecting my BS.

I dont do any Carb counting as yet!

Have been blessed with this honeymoon period.
Your obviously going well, if you reduced from 4 to 2.
Regards

Seabill

willogs

As I said in my previous post, I don't need any 'slow acting' insulin and I don't need any in the morning. I first had diabetes in pregnancy and then did not need insulin for 6 months after but then my BS increased again. I had the novomix at first but was having hypos if I did not get my tea in time etc. I was worrying a lot about it as I kept thinking something might happen while I was home with my baby and my partner was at work, so my DSN suggested the 4 a day and it has made life so much easier. I think that my pancreas is still going great guns but has 'off' days. The prof has queried my diagnosis a few times but additional test have shown me to be ID. I don't carb count at the minute even though I do make sure that I am very aware of what I am eating and just stick at 3/5 at lunch and tea, sometimes my BS is highish on a night, sometimes it is normal. I think that when I have the insulin it gives my pancreas a kick and makes it produce again. I like the fact that I don't have to have a lot of insulin, but can get a bit stressed at not quite knowing what will happen each day.

seabill

Hi Katharine

Thanks to you, I researched Dr Faustman - and just watched online a 50 minute interview of her
by David Edelman. I learnt so much about T1 and the possibility of what might happen in the future.

I really appreciate the lead, Katharine.

Kind regards

Seabill

seabill

Hi Willogs

I agree with you that a shot of insulin gives the pancreas a kick.
The stressor for me is I check my BS at 10pm come in at 5.6, have 3 digestive biscuits with butter
and a glass of milk and check at 7.30 and come in at 6.9 - why the increase?

Kind regards

Seabill