Flu Injection

jdm

Flu injection
I have been told by my DN that as I got T2 I will be called for to have flu injection.
Do you people have it?
If you have it once, do you have to have it every year?

Any ideas??
:?:

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the Flu Jab last November, not sure if you have to have it every year once you've started but if it's offered i will

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
yes I get it every year. I also got the Pneumonia one as well, which is just a once in a lifetime jab

Meg2009Arm

Hi JDM

I've had the flu injection last two years also on the advice of my doc but I won't be doing it this year. Both times I have developed a bad chest infection after a week or two of flu like symptoms and although they say it isn't a 'live' vacine I was told by my GP that it does have an effect like this for some people. The symptoms appeared with me about two weeks after the jab on both occasions. I'm sure it's fine for many people though, I just think I'm going to see if I get any colds/flu or chest infections next winter without having had the jab.

Meg

sugarmog

I've had it for the past three years, although last year was the first time I got it for free. No noticeable side effects and I haven't had flu either. ( although I didn't get flu in the previous 30 years when I didn't have the jab). Remember that real flu is a far more serious and potentially life threatening condition when you are diabetic.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i have received the flu injection every year since i have been diagnosed. most years i am ok with no colds/flu - but i have had a couple of years where all winter i felt i had a cold that would not go away...

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Don't know if I'd have the jab or not. Last year my (asthmatic) b/f had one and he felt awful for a few days afterwards!

Guess I'll be offered one, as I've now been diagnosed... But, as I said, I may not bother. :?

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Last year i was offered the jabs and couldn't make my mind up whether to have it or not. I spent a couple of weeks speaking to people on hear and researching on other websites. The conclusion i came to was basicly.. some people react and some dont and it felt like pot luck to me. I did have it in the end and had no reaction whats so ever. When my dad has it though he reacts badly. My advice would be to get it done and if you react dont have it done again.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may stop you catching certain strains of flu but I dont think it stops you catching colds
CAROL

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're right Carol, it doesn't stop you catching colds because colds & flu are two completely different things. "proper" flu can make you seriously ill, a cold although not very pleasant usually doesn't. I've had the flu injection for years now (as well as the pneumonia vaccine) and never had a problem other than a warm red patch and a bit of discomfort for a day or so, but that's just me.

Some people say that having the flu jab gives them flu which is impossible as it doesn't contain the flu virus, what actually happens is that the vaccine takes roughly two weeks to work so you can catch something after having the injection but before it starts to work, this is why people are encouraged to get it before the flu season starts.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
gillkin said:
You're right Carol, it doesn't stop you catching colds because colds & flu are two completely different things. "proper" flu can make you seriously ill, a cold although not very pleasant usually doesn't. I've had the flu injection for years now (as well as the pneumonia vaccine) and never had a problem other than a warm red patch and a bit of discomfort for a day or so, but that's just me.

Some people say that having the flu jab gives them flu which is impossible as it doesn't contain the flu virus, what actually happens is that the vaccine takes roughly two weeks to work so you can catch something after having the injection but before it starts to work, this is why people are encouraged to get it before the flu season starts.

Good post, Gillkin :thumbup: .

Flu is really very very serious. I've had it twice in my life, last had it in 2008 (pre-diabetes) and it very nearly killed me (or it felt like that!) - despite having had the jab! Must have been a different strain.

They like diabetics to have the jab because flu causes chaos with our blood sugars, and normally it's impossible to eat anything, or even take much fluid, 'cos someone has stuffed your throat with spiky golf balls and you can't swallow :shock: (my last experience anyway).

It's worth having the jab because it really is best for us not to have flu. If you react badly, maybe reconsider for next time. If you work with children or old people, it's best for them if you have the jab, too.

If you catch something directly after the flu jab, you probably picked it up in the surgery waiting room - most unhealthy place on this earth :lol: !

Viv 8)

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Go for the Flu injection, cos if you get it you wont be a very happy bunny. Very few have a reaction more than a stiff arm for a whille[thats what i had last year]. If you get it, well, i think its a no brainer, whatever anyone else says.

andy

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Having had flu really badly with horrible complications, I jump at having a flu jab. I never ever want to be as ill as I was with that. I ended up having 2 months off sick with it. It was just dreadful.

A

Anonymous

I have had it every year for the last few years - they just do it on my autumn/winter check up. Never had any bad affects.

Unbeliever

I always have it. Usually I have been fine but for the last 2 years I have felt unwell for about 3 days following he jab,
Hardly surprising as I understand the components were pretty much the same. At least I knew what to expect in the second year1

I have to agree with Viv however, The reactions , feverishness ,headache and a general feeling of "unwellness" are not to be compared with the real thing. I have had flu twice in my life. Not only did I feel that Ii was dying , I acually wanted to die!

If we, as diabetics ,are also more likely to suffer complications from flu , there is no question - I have it every ttime!