stress induced T2 ?

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
Hi - is this possible ?

I worked in an extremely stressful environment a few years ago, resulting in what ammounted to a breakdown and 6 months off sick.

Now I find I'm T2 and my practice nurse thinks there is a probable (though not causal) link

I'm very aware of the fight flight reflex and the subsequent raised horomones, including glucose designed to help us run from predators etc.

DylansDad

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This post made me think!

I came through a really stressful time prior to diagnosis but never thought about there being any connection, other than the ludicrous amount of chocolate I was eating for comfort!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly: according to this research findings show that various emotional stresses seem to be associated with the onset of diabetes. They do however add a word of caution; it suggests that some of the evidence from long term studies might come from what they call 'fishing expeditions' ie the results determining what paper is written (no association, no paper)
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Frans- ... onsortium/

Interestingly when I was looking it up I found one paper associating prior stress in children with the onset of TI.

In my own case I was experiencing a lot of stress and wasn't coping. That's why I gave up teaching and came to France where I promptly became very thirsty and lost a lot of weight. In retrospect I suspect it was the beginning of my diabetes ( I have LADA) Whereas in the past, my pancreas would have dealt with any rise in glucose caused by stress hormones, a failing pancreas meant that levels would have stayed high.
Unfortunately I had a very kind doctor who treated me for stress/depression and didn't look for a possible physical cause.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if stress contributed to mine. The last few years have been incredibly stressful and I've developed gastric problems as a result. I can FEEL my digestive system flooding with something (acid?) when the tiniest problem arises, or somebody else loses their temper around me.

I'm not a shouty person, I like the peaceful life... So if I'm stressed I just dissolve my own insides. :roll:

shop

Hiya,

Strange that you should say that. I have often wondered. I was very stressed when I was diagnosed with an over active thyriod yrs ago. I also had a fairly stressful pregnancy and got diagnosed with T1 just before my baby turned 1. I was always told these things just happen but strange how the two were surrounded by stress! :?: :?: :?:

Tootse

Hmmm, chicken and egg.

Did my high stress levels from my job play a role in my becoming diabetic, or did my undiagnosed diabetes play a role in my increased stress levels at work? :crazy:

hallii

Whether it is stress or something else or a combination I don't know. But I am convinced that there is an as yet unknown factor at work
that is the cause of the massive rise in cases of T2.

Maybe some chemical in the environment, processed foods, air pollution or whatever, or maybe it's because we are are overweight self indulgent couch potatoes? One thing is sure, the last cause is the one that many medical professionals and the general public believe to be the cause.

Stress and the way we cope with it is an individual thing, stress is known to be a factor in many illnesses so maybe T2 is triggered by stress where a person has some predisposition towards it, either hereditary or life style or both.

It is another chicken and egg question, until they do some serious research we will never know.

H

Reactions: 2 people

krazus

Dislikes
JAZZ!
A very interesting thread.

I too find myself in a very stressful enviroment, both at work and in private life. along with some mental health issues, the loss of my mum this year, work load ramping up ten fold and now this diagnosis (Found out this week). I am just about ready to explode.

I have a doc's appointment on Friday, to talk about the stress im under... and my mental health.
:crazy:

sAs a military wife constantly moving kids away at school tours in horrible places then hubby quit and we were left jobless with a house and univercity costs ect a very stressful few years I am not surprised I was type 2. In fact I was glad of the diagnosis as I had been pestering the DR for 2 years I knew something was wrong

kingofthetill

Hi reluctantdiabetic I really believe stress stress can have a adverse affect on us, I suffered a stroke in 2007 age 44 and 2 weeks later diagnosed T2 I wasn't before (had blood tests when I was at my previous job because I was offered them) when kids and wife have a dig at me because my memory is not the same etc etc I know I am either quite mad or under stress and then blood sugar seems to rise, I have recently taken up Tai Chi and for at least a couple of times a week I am unstressed. I now work part time for Sainsbury's, not a stressful job at all, all my best for you and your husband.

PS the other thing that stresses me is seeing a diabetic nurse who is larger than me and she telling me to exercise more to lose weight I remind her I am lucky to be able to at least walk after my stroke and my weight is slowly coming down I don't think I will see her again.

Karen8

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the original post was posted in 2012 but YES YES YES!

That is exactly what happened to me!

I was under major stress with my London job and after a good year or so, i had a break down and was off work for a year!! (as my managers mis managed) and then i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. i was in my late twenties and i resigned from my job as my managers did not care for my welfare.

Reactions: 2 people

mimo

I was diagnosed with T2 back in 2010 at 32 years old. No family history of diabetes. My GP discussed the cause being stress and working shift work which totally could have been the case. The more I look back at the time I was diagnosed it makes sense that it was stress and not lifestyle.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also suffered 2 strokes 3 years ago 2 weeks apart . After the first one I was not diabetic but after the second one I was . I had been through a very stressful time with our business and family problems so I am positive my diabetes was caused by stress as no history in family and not overweight. My doctor said stress is the silent killer for so many people.