swollen ankles - socks?

dmcd11

I have recently been diagnosed as t2. my fingers and ankles have swollen up. I have a problem........my ankles have stayed swollen for months now and I am having great difficulty finding socks that are not too tight on me. I have ended up using my normal socks and snipping the elastic in a couple of places, but then they fall down rather quickly.
I am on a limited budget so cant afford expensive socks
has anyone else had this problem?
can anyone advise me what sort of sock I need to buy please and where I might get them?
thank you

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi dmcd11, you can buy non elasticated socks that are specially made or at least recommended for diabetics due to some diabetics having circulation problems, they stay up fine without the use of elastic. They do feel a bit odd at first but you soon get used to them - I have a few pairs that I bought off ebay as I find it hard to find socks that are not too tight.

Dont know if you are familiar with the ebay auction site but go to http://www.ebay.co.uk and search for diabetic socks there are 100's if not 1000's of them. Below is a link to one that is selling 12 pairs for £9.90 delivered to your door :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330659169907? ... 3D1&_rdc=1 This is just one of many adverts selling these socks so just have a look through whats on offer and find some that suit you, I am not suggesting you buy these particular socks :D

C

catherinecherub

dmcd11 said:
I have recently been diagnosed as t2. my fingers and ankles have swollen up. I have a problem........my ankles have stayed swollen for months now and I am having great difficulty finding socks that are not too tight on me. I have ended up using my normal socks and snipping the elastic in a couple of places, but then they fall down rather quickly.
I am on a limited budget so cant afford expensive socks
has anyone else had this problem?
can anyone advise me what sort of sock I need to buy please and where I might get them?
thank you

Hi,
I notice from your previous posts that you have suffered with this before and extreme thirst. Are you dehydrated and is your Dr. aware of the problems you are experiencing with swelling? This is something that needs investigating IMHO. I do not know your age or sex but it can be a symptom of menopause, apologies if you are a male. :oops: It may not even be diabetes related or a side effect of a medication that you may be taking.
I think you should see your Dr. about this as he may decide to prescribe a diuretic. Celery and cucumber are good foods to eat to help with the fluid retention too.

As for the socks, make sure they are made of natural fibres and have no lycra or other man made synthetics in them.

Hope you can get this sorted, it must be very uncomfortable.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Further to Sid's idea, you can also search for "diabetic socks" on Amazon. They seem to have lots.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
I found my diabetic socks at my local market! Far cheaper than anywhere else I looked including ebay !!!
Got two types of socks, light weight soft stretchy ones and warmer lightweight thermal ones for when my toots get cold ...
If I need and wish to I can even wear the 2 different types together - layering them up on the colder days !
Method in my madness :lol:
Just thought I would add my idea and find at my local market here to help those who need to save the pennies!
Worth trying your local market 'sock' [undies] stalls ? Guy at my market buys proper diabetic socks in due to customer
demand ... !
I have poor circulation and neuropathy in my feet and they change in temperature by the hour some days!!! :thumbdown:
Hope this helps?
Anna.