Upset stomach

Leeds Lass

Hi all

My T1 boyfriend has had an upset stomach now for about 5 days, he's got diarrhea but only been sick once. He is eating toast and last night he had a proper meal but this morning the diarrhea contiunes.

We have been checking his blood regularly as it is running low and checking for ketones which are fine.

My question is can he take off the shelf supermarket diarrhea tablets or immodium just to see if it calms it down abit?

Many thanks
LL x

Grazer

I can't really answer as I'm a type 2, and don't use insulin. I think you may get a quicker response if you post this on the "type 1 diabetes" forum.
Good luck!

shop

Hi LL,

My doctor told me that tea and coffee will make an upset tum worse. He told me to half my dose of insulin ( Not basal ) and to drink drinking chocolate so that I could take insulin and have something for it to work on, ie not have a hypo. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Keep checking his sugars and for keytones ( which its sounds like you are doing anyway )

The first time I was ill since diagnoses I had food poisonind and couldnt even keep water down, glucose tabes were making me vomit and I was scared of going into a hypo and not waking up. I made the mistake of just taking my basal. and stopped taking my bolus, starved myself as a non Diabetic would. I ended up with very strong keytones and my doctor told me I must take my insulin. Hope he gets better soon. Oh rest and keep hydrated were also mentiond

Hope this helps.

Lucy. :)

Leeds Lass

Thanks for your replys.

I was a bit worried last night because he was eating and drinking plenty and nothing seemed to get his bloods up. He even managed to eat his dinner last night which had 3 roast potatos with it and he had to inject an 1 1/2 after he's eaten it because he was low before and even when he did inject he only had 1 unit to keep ketones at bay because he was still low.

We went to bed and he was 6.8 and woke up this morning and it was 3.3! Which is a complete surprise as he suffers with DP and normally wakes up about 8 or 9!

I'll grab some drinking chocolate on the way home tonight and feed him that, as he does drink alot of tea and coffe.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Leeds Lass said:
My question is can he take off the shelf supermarket diarrhea tablets or immodium just to see if it calms it down abit?

I would be inclined to go to a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if they have something suitable for someone who is insulin dependant, off the counter products should say in the patient information if they are safe for diabetics but I would still ask a pharmacist especially if he is on other medications.