Type 1 can i have a baby?

jaradethan

Hi, im new on here so im really sorry if i have put this in the wrong section.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 8 years ago during my pregnancy with my twins at age 25, but now my boys are 7 years old we would like another baby but my mum is really worried about my health and now its got me worried and questioning mine and my husbands choice to have another child.

I had a blood test about 2 months ago and my kidnys, liver, colestrol etc are all normal and healthy, i do ware glasses but my eyes are healthy, my bloods avarage about 6-7, so to me i am fit and healthy.

Am i being selfish wanting another baby? i know i had a bad time with my twins because of diabetes and i think thats what she is worried about, but that was different, i and the docs didnt know i had diabetes until 5 months into the pregnacy and even then we had two healthy big babys.

I really dont know whats the best thing to do as i so want another baby!

Any advice would be welcome, love to hear from mums who have had children while type 1 diabetic. xx

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

There is no reason why you can't have another baby, or even more!

I would recommend you speak to your diabetes health care team before you do go ahead and conceive as it's a very good idea for you to take supplements before you start trying and ensure you have optimum control too and they will advise you on any tweaking you may need to do.

I can assure you lots of T1 women with many children will be along soon to tell you the exact same as me :)

shop

Hi,

I know a little of what you are feeling. I am 42 had a bsby at 35 and found out I was T1 at 36. I had a really bad time a couple of years ago as I longed for another baby. My husband was not keen as I had to have an emergancy section with my little boy, he was 10lb. ( This was obviously nothing to do with diabetes as I wasn't diabetic then. ) I am also on medication for an underactive thyroid. I am also alot older than you. My Mum also had a congenital heart defect and died when I was 7. All these factors made me realise I had a haelthy little boy and should be happy with my lot.

Had my Husband been more keen and my family ( none of which were encouraging me ) I probably would have tried for another. It was horrible I almost felt grief for a baby that I might have had.

Anyway I came through it and out the other side. ( It wasnt meant to be )

You are young and may regret not trying again. If you have your husband behind you and a good diabetes team with preconceptual care there is no reason why you shouldnt have another healthy baby :)

Wishing you all the luck health and happiness in the world...xxx

Lucy. :thumbup:

jopar

If your control is good and you'll healthy then no reason why you shouldn't have another baby if you want one...

I have 3 children (adults now, so they tell me!) 2 of them I had as a T1 diabetic...

The best thing you can do is talk to your DSN, she can arrange for you to be seen by the diabetic pre-pregnancy clinic who can not only ensure that you are in the prime position for trying to conceive, if not they will work very close with you to get you there... But they will also go through all the in's and out's of risks etc that you need to know..

Good luck with what ever you finally decide what you want to do

jaradethan

Thanks so much for all your kind words, i am due to see my diabetic doc in June, so i think i will use the time to continue to be in good control with my blood sugar, i want to loose a bit of weight too, so i can talk to them then about having another baby and see what steps i need to make. My husband is 100% behind me and wants another baby as much as i do.
I feel alot more possitive now, thank you ladies! :wave:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jaradethan said:
Thanks so much for all your kind words, i am due to see my diabetic doc in June, so i think i will use the time to continue to be in good control with my blood sugar, i want to loose a bit of weight too, so i can talk to them then about having another baby and see what steps i need to make. My husband is 100% behind me and wants another baby as much as i do.
I feel alot more possitive now, thank you ladies! :wave:

Good luck and hope you are both successful and go on to have a beautiful healthy baby! :)