Shall be wary ofg what I type from now on!

shop

Hi Guys,

As you know I am reletively new to this forum. I posted on a topic re having a baby with T1. I answered with honesty. Too much Honesty and probably too personal. ( I guess I started to see alot of you as friends ) and wanted the person who had posted the question to know that I had once been in a similar situation. Also wishing her a postive and happy outcome.

I noticed last night that someone had quoted part of what Id said. ( under the name of hurricane ) but had not continued with a comment. I notice that quote has now been remmoved.

I have also been reading Whitby Jet's thread as we all have offered support. I noticed that there is mention of rougue posters copying posts that have been typed and reporting on somewhere else.

Whether this has happened in my case I dont know.

Either way I shall be a liitle more guarded in future. This is no reflection on the members I have encountered on here as you are all fab.

Still a little confused. :?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its always a good thing to be aware that the internet is public and anyone can search to find what is written. Its a bit like talking in a busy shopping mall. Anyone can overhear what is said.

Sometimes, in groups, we forget this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shop, any concerns of this nature then you should send a PM to one of the Moderators or Admin of the forum.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi Shop,

This may sound naive but it may have been an error on the poster's part accidentally clicking 'quote' and posting accidentally.

Unfortunately as you have come to see not everyon who joins the forum wants to seek help or help others as you so kindly did on that particular topic.

I have been subjected to particular vindictive behaviour as such, but i am not bothered by it one bit, keyboard warriors do not scare/intimidate me, as like many here i've developed a thicker skin.

I'd rather speak my mind and experiences to help or advise those for the better than sit back and bite my tongue in fear of these time wasters.

Don't worry too much Shop, the vast majority of people here are lovely :)

shop

Hi, Thanks Lucy Locket and Ebony and Noblehead.

Noblehead Im not actually sure anything sinister has occured and as Ebony said it could have been an error. It just made me aware as Lucy said it this is essentialy for public viewing. ( I suppose I forgot that for a while. ) This forum and its members are invaluable to so many who may not have anyone else to ask, talk to or turn to. As we have seen from some of the more sensitive topics on here.
The immense support and care shown goes to show the majority of good eggs certainly outweigh the occasional bad egg. :D :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
shop said:
The immense support and care shown goes to show the majority of good eggs certainly outweigh the occasional bad egg. :D :thumbup:

That's certainly true Shop! :)

Defren

ebony321 said:
Hi Shop,

This may sound naive but it may have been an error on the poster's part accidentally clicking 'quote' and posting accidentally.

Unfortunately as you have come to see not everyon who joins the forum wants to seek help or help others as you so kindly did on that particular topic.

I have been subjected to particular vindictive behaviour as such, but i am not bothered by it one bit, keyboard warriors do not scare/intimidate me, as like many here i've developed a thicker skin.

I'd rather speak my mind and experiences to help or advise those for the better than sit back and bite my tongue in fear of these time wasters.

Don't worry too much Shop, the vast majority of people here are lovely :)

Couldn't have put it better myself. Shop, all online communities there are trolls, baiters and flaimers, ever a medical self help one like this. The most important thing, keep yourself protected at all time. As questions as much as you need, and to use ebony's expression, let the "keyboard warriors" go yap to them selves. Don't worry, but do always stay safe.

hallii

As an old timer, well past retirement, I remember the time before the interweb thingy, before (gasp!) even computers, no one had a phone let alone a mobile phone, and milk and bread were delivered by horse and cart.

Yet, even way back then there were the gossipers, the liars and slanderers spreading rumour and malicious stories.

It's no different today, they have just moved to the internet where they can hide their pathetic little faces from public gaze and try to be as obnoxious as they can. I firmly believe that in real life they are the insecure, the failures in life, who live through the internet to try and become something they are not nor never will be.

So, be cautious, and learn to ignore them, they will eventually go away when they get no attention.

Most people on here are good friendly folk, don't let the the others spoil it for you.

H

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These people are so sad ,treat them like spoilt children and ignore them .They just want attention and they will be happy to read that they have upset you .
CAROL

shop

Thanks Carol and you know they havent upset me. Surpising how quickly you can develop a thick skin!! Someone once said that the best form of revenge is just to be happy......Soooo True !

:D :D :D :D :D

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Don't let a few bad eggs spoil things for you. It's such a shame when people are nasty on the internet. I'm a great believer in Karma and it will bite those that take pleasure in hurting others.

What worries me with all the recent unpleasantness is the effect that it has had on newly diagnosed people who have come to the board to seek help and instead of finding an oasis in their desert of fear, they find a dry parched area of people being hurt by other people. I worry about how many newly diagnosed people have taken fright and moved on to somewhere where the information they may find is not as helpful as here. I know that if I had come to the board for the first time in the last few days, I would have gone and not come back. It is frightening enough to be newly diagnosed without coming into board rows and not knowing where to turn for help.

I apologise if my post upsets anyone, but that is how I have perceived the last few days. The majority of people here are wonderful and helpful and I'd have been lost without this board and the fantastic advice I have been given. I would hate for any newly-diagnosed people to be put off coming here.

shop

I agree Didie. It has surprised me how many newly diagnosed people there are that come looking for help. Let all us GOOD EGGS drown out any negativity hey!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ebony321 said:
I have been subjected to particular vindictive behaviour as such, but i am not bothered by it one bit, keyboard warriors do not scare/intimidate me

If everyone had your attitude we'd have NOTHING to worry about. :clap:

All of this gets blown out of proportion.

C

catherinecherub

I would like to add my 2p worth here as it seems an appropriate thread.

I have been away for a few days attending the funeral of a very dear friend of mine who was 54 and died in her sleep. Outwardly she appeared a fit, healthy woman but she had a heart problem that was unidentified and caused her death.
She was my best friend and when I became a single mum, a widow, with three children still at school she made me a promise that she would take over the parenting of my kids with her husband if anything ever happened to me. I am still in a state of shock and finding it hard to come to terms with.

I came back last night to see there were p.m.'s waiting for me on this site and I have recently read them and the posts that I am supposed to have made on a blog. The finger has been pointed at me and the judge and jury have decided that I am guilty of writing anonymous posts about people on this forum on a blog. That is not my modus operandi, I don't do anonymous and I feel saddened that my integrity has been brought into question.

I have been a member of this forum since 2009 and have had my fair share of arguments and debates but I am astonished that people jump to conclusions like this. Has anyone stopped to consider that this is the work of trolls trying hard to disrupt the forum and cause a big division between posters?

I am repeatedly mentioned on a disgusting blog and I try to ignore. There was one time I answered a particularly misinformed topic about myself but I did sign my name, as said before I don't do anonymous.

My intent on this forum has always been to offer advice, diabetes related or not and these bullies and trolls who know who they are will never make me question myself as I am well aware that their behaviour does nothing for them other than for others to keep well away from them and ignore the way they operate. It also makes me wonder what they hope to achieve in behaving this way.

I am glad that when I first came here I took the advice from a Moderator never to divulge my e-mail address, my home address or my telephone number as people might appear charming but they can change their persona at a later date. We are all strangers on here with a few exceptions and anybody can pretend to be who they want to be.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that, Riddler (name rings a bell, maybe? maybe not?)

All you have to do is not do anything. If you feel you have to respond/participate, then the stress of doing so will get to you.

Just ignore it completely. Even if it is aimed directly at you (and for me, sometimes it is!), just don't engage. You don't HAVE to respond/defend yourself.

Not responding/defending yourself (and a lot of people feel that they DO have to defend themselves vehemently) does not make you a weaker person, and not defending yourself does not make the accuser right.

Not responding/engaging just makes life easier! :thumbup:

Arguing with a fool is pointless. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you on experience

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont fight with a pig .You get dirty and he likes it :lol:
CAROL

A

Anonymous

catherinecherub said:
I would like to add my 2p worth here as it seems an appropriate thread.

I have been away for a few days attending the funeral of a very dear friend of mine who was 54 and died in her sleep. Outwardly she appeared a fit, healthy woman but she had a heart problem that was unidentified and caused her death.
She was my best friend and when I became a single mum, a widow, with three children still at school she made me a promise that she would take over the parenting of my kids with her husband if anything ever happened to me. I am still in a state of shock and finding it hard to come to terms with.
My condolences on your Loss Cherub x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:

I'm truly sorry to read this Catherine, this lady sounded like a true friend and it's such a tragedy for her to leave this world at only 54 years old.

Take care!

Nigel