How do they get round this one?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I got a sheet of paper from my GP practice about the new driving regs.It says I have to test before driving and every 2 hours of a long journey. I also must carry my blood test gear and some glucose.
I'm not actually subject to hypos, but they have been refusing to prescribe strips for me for about 4 years. the doctor who sent me the sheet of paper did let me have one pack of strips. My T1 husband was seeing him at that consultation. I RARELY go to the doctor's. unless I'm driving some other member of the family there. Or I've been ordered in for a review.
How are the PCTs going to reconcile their attitudes to self testing with the driving regs?
Hana

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I'd heard about Licensing conditions tightening for insulin users but not ALL diabetics :shock:
Have you got a link so I can read up about what you've been told?
Thanks for the heads up.

Paul 8)

MaryJ

Interesting one

Do you think the doc gave you the sheet of paper in error - should have been for a T1 or T2 on other meds?

Surely as a T2 on diet and met you can't be subject to this? We don't even need to advise the DVLA.

So, if it is correct (which can't see it) surely they will HAVE to prescribe them

Mary x

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
MaryJ said:
Interesting one

Do you think the doc gave you the sheet of paper in error - should have been for a T1 or T2 on other meds?

Surely as a T2 on diet and met you can't be subject to this? We don't even need to advise the DVLA.

So, if it is correct (which can't see it) surely they will HAVE to prescribe them

Mary x
This was my understanding too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've misplaced the sheet, which was printed at the surgery. I'm happy to carry glucose and my meter. I certainly don't get hypos.
Hana

MaryJ

But it's a MASSIVE implication if it's ALL diabetics.

Surgery over-reacting? but might be a plus point for you Hanadr to get your scripts

Mary x

jopar

The new regulations haven't changed for T2 diabetics who are diet controlled or use oral medication that doesn't increase insulin productions..

I very much suspect what has actually happened is that your surgery has posted the new information to all it's diabetics whether the new regulations effect them or not...

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can see, after having a Google, is that Type 2s on diet/tablets only need to report their Diabetes to the DVLA if they develop certain complications.
By law you must tell us if any of the following applies:
. You suffer more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months. You must also tell us if you or your medical team feel you are at high risk of developing severe hypoglycaemia. For Group 2 drivers (bus/lorry), one episode of severe hypoglycaemia must be reported immediately.
. You develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. (Difficulty in recognising the warning symptoms of low blood sugar).
. You suffer severe hypoglycaemia while driving.
. You need treatment with insulin.
. You need laser treatment or Anti-VEGF treatment to both eyes or in the remaining eye if you have sight in one eye only.
. You have problems with vision in both eyes, or in the remaining eye if you have sight in one eye only. By law, you must be able to read, with glasses or contact lenses if necessary, a car number plate in good daylight at 20.5 metres (67 feet).
. You develop any problems with the circulation, or sensation in your legs or feet which makes it
necessary for you to drive certain types of vehicles only, for example automatic vehicles, or vehicles with a hand operated accelerator or brake.
This must be shown on your driving licence.
. An existing medical condition gets worse or you develop any other condition that may affect your driving safely.
In the interests of road safety, you must be sure that you can safely control a vehicle at all times.

I have given a full quote in the interests of accuracy.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067957.pdf

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
jopar said:
The new regulations haven't changed for T2 diabetics who are diet controlled or use oral medication that doesn't increase insulin productions..

I very much suspect what has actually happened is that your surgery has posted the new information to all it's diabetics whether the new regulations effect them or not...

Sounds like it to me too. Aren't they going to have fun when all their T2s phone them demanding test strips! You could have fun with this one, Hanadr - get your request in for test strips on repeat prescription, and if they object, show them their own letter :D

Viv 8)

calisto51

I think they have circulated the info to all the diabetics in their practice. I know as an insulin user that a consultant or doctor has to ask questions about your hypo control during your review and that information is sent to the DVLA. If you are on insulin you also have a restricted licence that is renewed very three years subject to good hypo control and meeting good visual requirements

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
calisto51 said:
I think they have circulated the info to all the diabetics in their practice. I know as an insulin user that a consultant or doctor has to ask questions about your hypo control during your review and that information is sent to the DVLA. If you are on insulin you also have a restricted licence that is renewed very three years subject to good hypo control and meeting good visual requirements

Calisto, is it sent or is it not requested when the DVLA renew your license?

gwoody

i was told by GP 3 years ago that I would not need to test leveLs, therefore no need to get a tester,strips etc.
last summer I got a letter from him advising that i collect the full testing pack which would be provided by the local chemist.
On my next visit I questioned this and he mentioned that the car insurance companies would use not testing if diabetic, either T1 or T2, to not pay out on claims. He also mentioned that all results should be written down not just recorded on the tester/reader.