VICTOZA users

whizzyweb36

Starting my 3rd week on tuesday.

Had a really bad time with the 1.2mg dose and my dr has told me to go back down to the 0.6 again for a month. As the 0.6 dose seems to be helping me out enough.

So fingers crossed I wont have to go back on the 1.2 as the headaches i got were so severe it effected the sight in my right eye and put me on my back for 2 days.

sammywebby

Hi I was on Victoza a couple of months ago never again, it made me sooooo ill. I will being violently sick even after just one injection, really dizzy felt awful. This went on for 3 weeks and never settled down. So I am now on Humulin I and S and am fine.

rsg1

Hi I was the same when I started victoza last november after searching online about anti-sickness tablets i read that taking anti-histamines could also help within 3 days of taking a anti-histamine 1 only in the morning 10 minutes before injecting i was fine all side effects gone was on them for 3 weeks then no longer needed the anti-histamine. Try it it worked great for me I have lost 12Kgs in wieght and Habc1 is down from 7.8 to 6.5 yesterday

Vintagemalt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Diabetes, Arthritis, Hypertension to name but three
Greetings to you all,
Although I rarely post on here I do read other contributions with interest,
I have been on Byetta Exenatide for about 2 years but my BG has been creeping up a lot recently.
My consultant today has changed me from Byetta to Victoza starting from tomorrow.
Has anyone any comments as to what i may expect? :?: :?:
From tomorrow I will be on;
Metformin 4 x 500mg, Glimepiride 1mg and Victoza for my diabetes
Amlodipine 5mg, Losartin & Bendrofluazide for BP
and Atorvastatin....
Regards
Stephen

Bobbylinks

I have been Using Victoza for a few years. The first year was great then after the year and overnight my appetite came back and I was eating normally Unfortunately my glucose readings rose alarmingly. I am now on the full dose of Victoza and almost 100 units of insulin a day At one point I had a glucose reading of 29. Unfortunately my insulin was discontinued and I was prescribes Humulin M3. I have no confidence in this insulin. The doctors at the clinic seem more interested in my blood pressue which is normal as I check it myself The prescribed a third Blood pressure tablet which I refuse to take as I doo not need it. I go to the clinic today and am going to hammer out these problems and get them to listen. Years ago I pleaded to go onto insulin and it took a year. The relef when I went onto insulin was great. I honestly think you are a number to the medical profession I wonder if Victozw works now

Jackie1966

Hi Bobbylinks,
How did you get on today at the clinic? :)
I'm interested to hear what they had to say about your Victoza, as I too found my appetite returned to normal after a few months of being on it,
but my overall sugar levels still seem to be doing ok though, and I'm still on my reduced insulin units.
I'm due back to clinic in May :shock:
Let us know how your appointment went.
Kind regards
Jackie

daintytweety

Hi everyone
I am on Victoza on 0,6 for 1 month.
it would be very nice i think if you could make a Victoza support group,where everyone can give support to each other.Anyone has an idea how to do it ?maybe on the internet?
Thank you

happypixi

im on metformin but have started to get some side effects, such as stomach cramps and diarrohiea(c**p spelling!!!)
never had them at the start but do now, i take 1000mg per day

just wondering if this would be better than metformin

edshazell

I would stick to Metformin for the time being, you will get over the side effects in time and you are still only on a half maximum does. The Victoza can be added later if need be.

m4z

Hi there... old member coming back to the fold here!

A couple of years ago, I was on Byetta, had great results, and the nurse took me off it, and I was just on Metformin (2 x 500g twice a day).

Sugar levels crept up, and she put me on Januvia - but my last HBA1C was 9.9% so I've been started on Victoza. (only now on the same dose of Metformin and the victoza).

I must admit I haven't been blood testing when I was on the tablets, but started monitoring sugar levels more closely.

I've been on Victoza two weeks, one week at 1.2 and my morning sugar level is always 17 - this is before breakfast, and after a brisk 20 minute walk to work... not quite what I was seeing on Byetta!

I spoke to the nurse last night, and she advised to stay on it for 3 months :roll: if not, I have to go onto insulin. I asked about Byetta again, and she implied I'm being a little bit awkward :|

I'm so utterly tired all the time, and still getting the heartburn/sickness side effects...

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

Garfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Victoza for over a year now @ 1.8, which is the highest dose. I have lost 6 stone and had only slight sickness feeling at first. I prefer it to 4 injections per day. Other side effects - Nil. Each to his/her own. Oh yes, i go the gym 6 days a week. :D

edshazell

Hi Garfield

How did you get on 1.8 I thought 1.2 was the maximum dose in UK, do you pay for it yourself? I have been on 1.2 for nearly a year and would like to try 1.8.

Ed

layla b

Hi there

Just started Victoza a few days ago. No very obvious side effects so far. I feel a little woozy from time to time; getting the odd headache; and I'm feeling a bit tired. Appetite a bit less, blood sugar 8.3 after a meal this evening, a little lower than usual for me.

I had a terible reaction to Metformin, (diarrhoea, nausea, weight gain, lethargy, depression) with no drop in sugar levels, so this is good in comparison.

I am not on any other medication except for levothyroxin to boost my thyroid levels.

I heard about Victoza from my brother who lives in Denmark, where it is being hailed as a 'wonder drug for diabetes'. He lives just down the road from the factory, and saw the medics on tv saying how wonderful it was, so he phoned me up to tell me about it.

The diabetes nurse from the gp surgery couldn't prescribe it for me, so she referred me to the Diabetes Clinic at the local hospital and the consultant agreed. So wish me luck. Hope it works.

Layla

happypixi

my DSN wont prescribe byetta or victoza, metformin is giving me diarrhea, just had dose reduced from 1000mg to 500mg because of diarrhea, but no change.

going to speak to DNS next week if there is still no change.

Bridie

Dislikes
People who treat me like I`m an idiot just because I`m overweight.
Re: Victoza mentioned on This Morning

Dennis said:
Victoza is the new rival to Byetta. The significant differences are that Victoza is injected once a day against Byetta's twice a day, and that the main ingredient is liraglutide against Byetta's exenatide. It seems to work in a similar way to Byetta by reducing BG and hepatic glucose production, suppresses appetite and slows the rate of digestion.

My big concern about it is that the EU have approved it for public use only a couple of weeks after the US authorities refused to licence it because of concerns that it can cause thyroid cancer. This has been put to Novo Nordisk who are playing down the fears on the basis that because it does that in rats it doesn't mean it will do in humans. My own thoughts on that are, if rats are so different that the results are not comparable and should be ignored, then why did Novo test it on rats in the first place!?!

Like Ken, I'll stick to Byetta thanks very much. There are one or two things I tend to value, like my well-being.

Hi
I have been approved as a good candidate for Victoza by my doctor, but when visiting my DN to be put on Victoza, I asked her about the risks of Thyroid Cancer as I was born with Hypothryroidism and have been taking Thyroxine since I was 18months old, now being 53yr. I have never suffered any problems with my Thyroid Glands, but am naturally very concerned about the risk of Thyroid Cancer. I want to know whether by having Hypothyroidism increases my risk even more of getting Cancer!!! My DN nurse did not go through with the appointment, instead she asked me to leave it while she talks directly with the Victoza Rep, to see what they have to say. I have an appointment on Thursday with my DN so we shall see what they have said.

colinbw

Hi... Iam a new user to Victoza...

I was initially horrified when the doctor told me I needed to inject but heyho...it's no biggie now and I don't dread it at all as it's totally painless and easy to administer.

I have been on it a week so far at 0.6ml and on Friday I had my first dose at 1.2ml.
I haven't noticed any side effects so far apart except I don't seem to poo so often or as regular even though I''m definitely not constipated or feeling bloated.
I also haven't experienced any nausea..I must be made of tough stuff :) as I didn't get any reaction when I started on Metformin.
either.

The one thing I was hoping for however was a loss of appetite. Should I be getting a loss of appetite as I was hoping to lose a little weight?
My doctor told me that this medication very often leads to weight loss but is this totally down to a loss of appetite or is there some other witchcraft :lol: involved ?

dcg

2004 I was diagnosed with Type 2. My records from my first tests in June of that year showed an Hba1c of 6.9 (in the old way of measuring). Through the following years I struggled badly. Diet and exercise for 4 years and all the time my Hba1c rising steadily after each test. Metformin prescribed with dosage increasing after every test then Glipizide - again dosage increasing, Hba1c rising relentlessly - hopeless and depressed and desperate to the point that I gave up. I was referred to the local hospital in Perth to see the consultant at the diabetes clinic. 'We will need to do better, ' he said. I naturally assumed that meant me - but I was wrong. 'No,' he said, 'We your care team need to do better for you.' He told me about Victoza and sent me to a clinic on 13th March 2012 to be given an introduction to the use of the Victoza pen etc. Here is where I was at that point EXACTLY three months ago. Hba1c - 76mmol/mol - that's 9.1 in the old style of measurement - up 2.2 whole steps from my original tests in 2004. My blood glucose was tested at the Victoza clinic that day and it was 15.9. I was taking 2 x 1000mg of Metformin in the morning every day and 3 x Glipizide. Maximum dosage of medication you can take really. Glipizide is infamous for making you gain weight. A hopeless vicious circle from which I was powerless to break out. Weight goes up because of medication - more medication required - more weight loss follows - etc. I could hardly exercise as my leg muscles would cramp extremely painfully after walking a few yards. No exercise, loads of weight gaining medication, no hope for the future other than waiting for the stroke, or the heart attack or the amputations. You get the picture. At the clinic - exactly three months ago, I injected myself with the first shot of Victoza.
Today I got the results of my Hba1c test which was taken on Wednesday.

It is 50 mmol/mol or 6.7%.

I have reversed the trend of rising Hba1c for the first time since I was diagnosed.

My results are BETTER than they were in 2004 when I was first diagnosed.

I am not taking NO Glipizide whatsoever.

My Metformin is down to 1 x 1000 and 1 x 500 slow release a day.

I have lost 9Kg without really trying

My blood glucose control was set a target of beween 4-7 before meals.

Apart from an initial fluctuation in results until the correct dosage of medication was identified my blood glucose control is now PERFECT. At the follow up appointment at the clinic they called my results 'staggering.'

From being unable to walk even a few yards - my leg functions are now FULLY restored. The way I describe it is like the feeling you get at an airport when you step on a moving walkway. That's how I feel all the time.

I have NEVER in my life done anything sporting. Not once - not ever - NEVER! A few weeks ago I entered an 8k fun run to help celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. I managed to get round the entire course - not running all the way - but occasionally breaking into a trot.

I am a 62 year old male. Victoza has given me my life back. I cannot find the words to say how much this means to me. If ever the words 'miracle drug' deserve to be used - then it most certainly should be used when discussing this wonderful drug.

If you have any reservations about starting Victoza or using Victoza - then get rid of them! My extraordinary results have been achieved with minimal effort and minimal inconvenience or discomfort. If I can help any of you with any questions, then please ask. If my words have inspired you to try it and you get even half of the success and results which I have, then I am pleased.

Thanks for reading this long post. Best wishes form Scotland.

hugsee

Dislikes
cheese
Hi All,
Have been on Victoza for 6 weeks now and my BG is fantastic....had rotten control before hand. Have lost 15lbs so far Yay :D no side affects thank god. After a month I had my first hba1c and it came back 7.7 Doc is really pleased me I am ecstatic.
Due to other health issues I lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle the only exercise is a short walk to the bus stop when the pain allows. I do not eat fast and never have done but can now finally recognise that feeling of being full. Fruit and veg intake up especially carrots raw. I love the feeling that it is a great positive in my life and finally getting control that has been sadly lacking :clap: :clap: :clap:

flooze

I have been on Victoza for about 3 months prescribed by my consultant. My blood sugar is now under 5 and I have lost 1 stone 6 lbs. the first week I was very nauseous, but I started taking the medication before bed rather than in the morning and this seems to have worked