Daft hobbies

Craigybus

Do any of you have any shall we say, slightly unusual hobbies? I confess that I'm a 35 year old bloke with a Lego addiction. Gives me summat to do on dull, boring days & stimulates the old grey cells

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I'm 54 and I collect Hello Kitty stuff! :lol: I don't buy everything with Hello Kitty on (there are too many) but quirky things, useful things and really pretty things end up being MINE. :D

I've got a big pink Hello Kitty bag that I carry my stuff in when I do my radio show, a Hello Kitty purse, Hello Kitty socks, A Hello Kitty computer mouse and laptop case, a Hello Kitty T shirt etc. etc. etc. PLUS an enormous Hello Kitty "shrine" of odd things, some posters and a light-shade AND my Hello Kitty DVD collection. I especially like the episode where she plays with her sister on a bus, clumsily bumps into an old lady and brings dishonour onto her family, or something. :lol:

Craigybus

shop said:
Hi Craigybus,

I wouldn't say that's unusual Lego is simlply addictive. Its ace :)

You have said it:) Some of the things I've built are rather unusual, such as a burger van, and Mister Softee ice cream van. I even made a stills vid of the Softee van and youtube'd it. Warning, you may want to mute the audio, as its the american Softee chimes on a loop.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjnzVTibYhI
softee10.jpg

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Glados said:
I'm 54 and I collect Hello Kitty stuff! :lol: I don't buy everything with Hello Kitty on (there are too many) but quirky things, useful things and really pretty things end up being MINE. :D

I'll never be able to take you seriously again.

My step-son has Downs Syndrome and loves Hello Kitty too. Nothing like seeing a big strapping 18 year old lad in his Hello Kitty slippers!

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
borofergie said:
I'll never be able to take you seriously again.

My step-son has Downs Syndrome and loves Hello Kitty too. Nothing like seeing a big strapping 18 year old lad in his Hello Kitty slippers!

I don't care how seriously you take me... All *I* care about is where he got Hello Kitty slippers in an adult size! :wink:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Craigybus - I love the video and the model! Haha! You're really good at it but also a tiny bit mad... :crazy: :wink:

Craigybus

There is nowt wrong with your Hello Kitty hobby, and if anyone tells you otherwise, just stick your tongue out and go nerr. I have rather a lot of Lego, which is slowly taking over the flat, as well as my growing collection of die cast model cars. And mad??? Moi??? Muahahahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

By the way, I've also got a mate heavily into Lego who is the same age as me (35). He even went home to his parents recently to find his Lego from his childhood. We often spend hours chatting about our latest creations. He also goes buying new stuff with the excuse it is for his 3 year old. Good man! By the way, the burger van is equally as nuts, and even has a caravan to go with it :)
snack_10.jpg

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I'd laugh at you more Craigybus but to be honest my (toy)boyfriend is 32 and has loads of Games Workshop models (he used to work for them), plus his mate (34) collects Transformers.

And a large group of us hold Role-Play evenings (dice games, not sex games) about twice a month. I'm a female Knight in one and a WW2 lady spy in the other. :lol:

This thread is gonna get me locked up in a padded cell. :silent:

Craigybus

The thing is, I suffer quite badly from depression (several suicide attempts), and when I get bored, it really starts to hit, so Lego occupies my mind, thus keeping away those horrid thoughts.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
That's a shame Craigybus, so sorry to hear it. My boyfriend had a nervous breakdown a while ago and like you he finds the distraction of a good hobby, or two, VERY helpful. I mentioned in another thread that I go to Church for comfort, but my boyfriend is NOT about to join me there. :wink:

I like the artwork you've created to add authenticity to your models BTW, that's quite some dedication to detail. Do you belong to a forum for this kind of thing? I love playing with Lego myself but when we ran away up North my son (now 16) left his Lego behind and recently my Ex sold it (didn't ask first)! Booo!

My (aforementioned) boyfriend has turned all the operational sounds on my laptop (logging on, receiving emails etc) into extracts from Hello Kitty vids and songs. Hahaha! I suppose that is better than buying me flowers (at least in his head). :D

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
The Lego is amazing :D

I'll confess to being somewhat of a Lord of the Rings/Tolkien geek.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I read!,
but recently, I was staying with my brother and sister-in-law on their farm in Wales and got bored. Our elderly [94] mother was there too and everyone else was taking an after lunch nap. I ended up cleaning the whole kitchen.
The look on the face of the lost van driver who came to the back door to ask the way was a picture as the woman in apron and rubber gloves with wet cloth in hand told him she's a stranger.
I do knit and sew too, but not often nowadays
Hana

Craigybus

I'm on a couple of Lego fan sites. It actually took me about 2 weeks to design and build them to a point I was happy with. I'm hoping to be back in work soon, so the Lego hobby will go on the back burner, as the job I'm waiting to hear about is permanent nights & 12 hr shifts.

All the graphics on them are made using Corel Draw & yoinked GIF imges from the t'interweb, & printed onto self adhesive paper. All very time consuming, and keeps me from doing owt I shouldn't.

SueR

I go along to model plane events with a radio controlled plane mad 'other half' - who is also diabetic. We even have a caravan and spend the summer months at various events. He flies his planes most weekends too. We have a wide and varied circle of friends as a result of this hobby and travel all over the country. He spends all of his free time building the planes too and is a very good flyer.

I leave him to it and sit and read.

Boys and their toys !

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
I am naturally creative and brilliant at visual details ...
I do sketching and drawing to destress and find it really soothes and relaxes my mind.
Wouldnt call it a daft hobby but it DOES help me , plus when I see my finished work am quite 'proud' of myself too.
LOVE the lego pictures craig , theyre brilliant!!! :thumbup:
Anna.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Brilliant thread! :)

Craigybus, I think you might be surprised just how many of us have depression, I'm one of the elite same as your good self. :wink:

I haven't got a daft hobby (puts on a superior air and a saintly expression :angel: ) but I learnt another language and I keep myself up to speed with that. I took evening classes during an extremely difficult period of my life and I think that diversion was a life saver. Seeing as I am rather skint-ish, I scour charity shops for books in my favoured language and set myself to reading them, really takes some concentration so my mind can't wander elsewhere. I am also a member of some other non-related forums so that keeps my mind busy too.

As for lego and other such activities- nah..can't do it. Hate jigsaws with a vengeance (no patience), can't paint, can't draw or do anything of an artistic nature.
While going through a bad period of anxiety and depression, being the pro-active person I am, I thought knitting would be a good pastime, something relaxing for me to do.

Pffft. :evil: :evil: I stabbed myself in the hand with the needles, some stitches were so loose they dropped off the needles, some so tight they squeaked and just when I thought I was getting somewhere the ball of wool rolled off my lap, across the floor and ended up under the bookshelf, gathering dust bunnies as it went.

The wool and needles are in a box. In a cupboard. Hidden beneath a million other things..and they are staying there.

Kudos to all you arty, handy types out there..I'll stick with my imperfect tenses and my reflexive verbs.

:D

Should have mentioned that these are great Lego creations Craig :clap:

Craigybus

My other half draws rather a lot, and also plays the computer game Spore, and her creations are often quite bizarre, but good.