Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

5.5 this morning :shock: well saw my endo yesterday and he asked me to drop my bolus as he doesn't want me below 5 in the mornings... should be between 5-6. Looks like it worked.... but I'm not used to seeing this higher number.... hopefully that doesn't equate to higher numbers throughout the day.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

17 :-/

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

today 10.4 ...yesterday i slept at 6.9, so definitely Dawn phenomenon at work. i am afraid that unless i sleep lower then the fasting will not go below 9 :( but it is going to be difficult sleeping at under 6.

Stevolution - i started off with fasting being 14/16/17's so hang in there!!!! it will come down :)

etippelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2

At the age of 58, I've been Type 2 for a few years and my morning B/G had crept up to a figure over 10, despite 3 x 500mg Metformin and 80mg glyclazide. I was also on hypertension meds and just about keeping Bp to 140/90 with 20mg Lisinopril. This was reduced to 15mg as I was finding my BP dropping to 60 diastolic after working in the garden and it was making me lightheaded.
I was also moved from Glyclazide to Sitagliptin as the former apparently makes you put on weight, but the end effect was that my fasting B/G crept up even more.
I read about the Newcastle diet here and decided that I needed to give it a try to see if I could get back to normal figures.
I stuck with it for two weeks, although the Slimfast diet caused very loose bowels, and lost almost a stone. After that I reverted to more normal foods, but strictly counting calories to keep intake to around 800 cals per day. My GP had taken me off Sitagliptin and upped my Metformin to 5 x 500mg per day. The results are extremely encouraging. After 5 weeks I have lost 17 pounds, my fasting B/G dropped to 5.4, and my BP had also dropped noticeably. I am now on 10mg Lisinopril taken as two doses of 5mg, and BP ranges around 115/75 when resting, with a drop in my pulse rate also. I have also dropped one of the metformin tablets so take 2x500mg in the morning, one at lunch and one at dinner time. I hope to drop below 15 stone this week, and the continued good results are very motivating.
So to anyone who is thinking about trying the Newcastle Diet, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are overweight and with elevated blood pressure. If you can stick to it for the entire 8 weeks then no doubt you will make better progress than I have. However, even a lesser period appears to have worked well in kick starting the improvements that the diet promises and if you can maintain your willpower to keep calorie intake low, then progress will continue.
Exercise is recommended, but in my case this has been limited to gardening as I have a rather sedentary job. However, a day in the garden has always worked wonders for weight loss!
Go for it!

ronjo94

My fasting bg is always 8 -8.5 but, after a good breakfast - porridge with blueberries and a couple of prunes - 2-3 hours later i can get a bg of 6 - this sometimes is after a bedtime bg the previous night of less than 8. Why?

Spaceage

5.2 This morning, had gastric bypass early Feb and been off metformin since mid Feb. Have to report to med team if my fasting blood sugar goes over 6.5 which it has twice so far.

A

Anonymous

ronjo94 said:
My fasting bg is always 8 -8.5 but, after a good breakfast - porridge with blueberries and a couple of prunes - 2-3 hours later i can get a bg of 6 - this sometimes is after a bedtime bg the previous night of less than 8. Why?

Hi Ronjo
I usually have porridge in the morning too and like you I get a good result a couple of hours later or so. I don't necessarily get a good result so much if I eat a wheat based cereal though. Obviously it's because oats is not spiking your BGLs due to being low GI. Some may get a completely different result... but we're all different... so it pays to know what works for you. :)

Alan Nixon

I was diagnosed two years ago, I was told as I was only type 2 I did not need to keep a check on my glucose levels so did not need a monitor and if I bought my own, I could not get the consumables on prescription. Is this correct? everyone on here seems to be checking levels.

Defren

Alan Nixon said:
I was diagnosed two years ago, I was told as I was only type 2 I did not need to keep a check on my glucose levels so did not need a monitor and if I bought my own, I could not get the consumables on prescription. Is this correct? everyone on here seems to be checking levels.

You will be a very lucky bunny indeed to get a meter or strips on prescription, nearly all of us buy our own.

5.6 this morning. Out of the 6's again. :D

Van1946

This morning it was 9.5 but I am still working on adjusting my insulin every three days, until I get three days in a row of 7 - 7.5, right now I am up to 60units at dinner time - I take Humulin I plus 2x500 tolbutamide. Is anyone else on Humulin I?

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't check it every day, however my reading this morning was a reasonable 5.4

Malc.

A

Anonymous

5.0 this morning :)

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

15.0 for me. Better than yesterday! :D

A

Anonymous

5.9 this morning

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

stevolution said:
15.0 for me. Better than yesterday! :D

that is an improvement which is a great thing :clap:

11.2 for me this morning...i am realising that i need to sleep with a reading under 7 to wake up in the 10s....
i hope that it will get better...i am afraid it is a losing battle against liver and dawn phenomenon :(

KaseyCoff

Usually in the 4's, tho occasionally it pushes up into the 5's - this AM, 5.2. Medication-free, lifestyle-controlled. So far, so good...

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks clay, hopefully the low carb is helping already! :thumbup:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.0 for me this morning and 5.6 two-hours after breakfast.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

I started a "Newcastle" diet last Saturday and the five fasting BGs since have been 7.4, 6.7, 6.7, 6.6, 6.7 - hoping for an improvement soon.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Alan Nixon said:

5.3 this morning.

Hi Alan. Most forum members would recommend you test. How else will you know that what you are eating day by day is safe. It is unlikely as Type 2 you will find your doctor will give strips out on prescription. The UK NICE guidelines state a T2 should be offered testing if it would be beneficial to them. Hardly ever happens though as the guidelines can be ignored. Perhaps the next time you see your gp you'd like to ask him what he's doing with the £2000pa he gets for you being on his books as a diabetic. Maybe he'd like to spend some of that on you! If you want to get your own meter then post a question asking for advice as to what one, how to get one and what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.