Type 1's What is your BG in the morning?

thetallerpaul

Hello all,

I have been posting in the Type 2 version of this thread as I was told was Type 2 initially but GAD results led to switch to Insulin and new diagnosis so would be good to see how Type 1's get on?

Mine was 6.0 this morning which is currently the low end of normal for me. Not sure if I should put up my Slow acting insulin units before I go to bed as have never got lower than 5.5 and am regularly above 7.

Paul

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I've just changed departments from Type 2 to a Type 1 recently so Hello fellow club member! :D
18.2 this morning-not good but has been higher recently.I'm setting a goal to get it down to 10 and from then on to be at least in single figures.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
thetallerpaul said:
Hello all,

I have been posting in the Type 2 version of this thread as I was told was Type 2 initially but GAD results led to switch to Insulin and new diagnosis so would be good to see how Type 1's get on?

Mine was 6.0 this morning which is currently the low end of normal for me. Not sure if I should put up my Slow acting insulin units before I go to bed as have never got lower than 5.5 and am regularly above 7.

Paul

You wouldn't want to increase your 'Slow acting' Paul if you are trying to avoid lower morning fasting readings.

Mine was 4.1 this morning and 4.4 yesterday so will knock a unit off tonight's lantus to get back in the 5's.

thetallerpaul

Noblehead,

This is why I want this thread! I'm trying to get my morning reading down as I thought 6-8 as a range was a bit high so was thinking of upping to see if could hit 5-7 but is that me being influenced by the shiny low numbers the type 2's talk of? Would 4.4 not be a good result?

Paul,

I like this department. In my Type 2 office I blamed myself for all my eating habits. Now it was out of my hands. Somehow this makes it easier for me to deal with.

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
thetallerpaul said:
Noblehead,

This is why I want this thread! I'm trying to get my morning reading down as I thought 6-8 as a range was a bit high so was thinking of upping to see if could hit 5-7 but is that me being influenced by the shiny low numbers the type 2's talk of? Would 4.4 not be a good result?

Paul,

I like this department. In my Type 2 office I blamed myself for all my eating habits. Now it was out of my hands. Somehow this makes it easier for me to deal with.

Paul

Paul, you could try increasing it by a unit if you are looking to get numbers below 6 but I took it in your last post that you were worried about being in the ''low end of normal for me'', if you do increase it then make sure you test for a couple of nights.

To answer your question if 4.4 would be a good result then I'd have to say no (personally) as I prefer to wake with levels in the 5's, I'm a type 1 and have been for the last 31 years and have always had good strong hypo awareness symptoms, I believe were I too aim for lower numbers much like some type 2's do then I may see my hypo awareness diminish and consequently lose my licence and job.

Paul1976

Dislikes
thetallerpaul said:
Noblehead,

Paul,

Paul
Me too!! Low carbing and oral meds and then being rewarded with my blood glucose increasing drove me mad in all honesty!
I'm dealing with it a lot better now mentally-I'm just hoping some of the more unpleasant physical side affects of being uncontrolled will resolve themselves with better control.

Paul

thetallerpaul

Noblehead,

Thanks for that. It was low for me but thats a good thing. I'm not sure about it as being low in the day when I can react is one thing. Going low when asleep I'm less happy about the idea. I might speak to DSN again but I know they'll say don't do it. I'm like you pretty lucky with hypo awareness. Anything below 4.5 and I start to feel it./ I've never gone below that though so no idea what sub 4 feels like.

Paul

Hope so too!

TTP

Pneu

If you are waking up in the low 4's then its worth doing a couple of checks in the night to make sure your not dropping to low... although Lantus / Levemir have relatively flat profiles our bodies do all sorts of things in the early hours and your insulin needs aren't the same say at 1am to what they are at 5am...

Myself I woke up at 4.7 mmol/l today and thanks to my darling daughter I know that I was 4.2 mmol/l at 3am :)

AMBrennan

4.2 mmol/l i.e. on target [consultant said to adjust Lantus until I get >5.5 so I'm deliberately ignoring her advice here because CGM shows BG is constant all night, and I don't drive or operate heavy machinery]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
AMBrennan said:
4.2 mmol/l i.e. on target [consultant said to adjust Lantus until I get >5.5 so I'm deliberately ignoring her advice here because CGM shows BG is constant all night, and I don't drive or operate heavy machinery]

Around 5.5 is where I'm most happy to be honest and this figure is what my consultant says is acceptable....but no lower, my night-time bg has been steady for some time so a reduction in the dose is on the cards tonight.

Not driving or operating machinery does allow people (should they choose) to aim for lower bg figures than those reliant on a licence for their living.

freddddy

5.9 this morning and yesterday morning. But like thetallerpaul i also used to wake up in 6's or 7's. I deal with that by increase my Levimir from 9 units to 10 units

xorsyst

I aim for 6-8 in the morning. I hate night-time hypos, and would rather be on the safe side without being too high.

I'm slightly unusual in that I take my Lantus in the morning (about 7-8am), rather than at night. I found that helps keep a more normal profile overnight for me, and it works better for timing for me too.

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I try not to go to low at night, usually go to bed with an average of 6. If any lower my liver dumps and I can wake up in the 20's!

Lorna

Paul1976

Dislikes
20.6 this morning so slightly higher than yesterday although this morning I tested after my cup of tea instead of first thing so that may have made a difference.

shop

Hi Guys,

My morning bg was 6.8 this morning. Terrible day yesterday with 11. something all day up until bed time which was 5.6. Dont know why but not bad this morning! :)

CageG

Re the comment about Lantus> I'm slightly unusual in that I take my Lantus in the morning (about 7-8am), rather than at night. I found that helps keep a more normal profile overnight for me, and it works better for timing for me too.

I found that when I took Lantus in one large dose it had a significant onset affect (literally would send me low about 90 minutes later), so I split it into 2 equal doses, 1 at 8am 1 at 8 pm. This works much better for me, the morning dosage still has a small onset effect but this approximately offsets the dawn effect (BG rising in the am without carbs), +/- a hobnob or two if I skip breakfast, and the evening gets absorbed into my humalog dosage for my evening meal.

On subject I aim to wake up in the low 4's but don't drive for a living; sometimes much higher if I've eaten something with slow carbs the night before.

Type 1 since 2004
HbA1c's around 5

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I knocked 2 units off my lantus and woke with a respectable 5.6 having been 5.2 before bed, might have to put it up by a unit yet but will wait a day or two.

thetallerpaul

Mine was 5.2 this morning. Just tested after lunch and was up at 8.8 though. I've not had a bad day by any means so not sure whats the big idea there? I'm looking at you Pancreas. Don't try and hide behind the spleen. I can wait all day.

Paul1976

Dislikes
Naughty Mr. Pancreas!! He sounds as Lazy as my workshy one!! perhaps i should have it out with him on The Jeremy Kyle show! :lol:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 this morning, after which I have to battle against DP (treacherous liver).

I also split Lantus morning and evening as it doesn't seem to work the full 24 hours for me.