• Start Date

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
AMBrennan wrote:If there is evidence, then the NHS/ NICE/whoever makes these recommendations would have to very stupid and/or malevolent

Malevolent, perhaps not....
perhaps they are just being good bureaucrats. and not questioning!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Us low-carbers ought to be able to sign too! What will I do if they add tax to cheese, butter, meat . . . mayonnaise :!: Aaargh!

Amazing what lengths they will go to, to squeeze money out of us on the grounds it's good for us!

Viv 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
viviennem said:
Us low-carbers ought to be able to sign too! What will I do if they add tax to cheese, butter, meat . . . mayonnaise :!:

No! I couldn't live without (full-fat) mayonnaise!

It's a serious problem though isn't it? It is difficult enough trying to eat a healthy low-carb diet with shelves and shelves of "low-fat" products (but hardly any "low-carb" or "low-sugar").

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
More seriously, I could personally just about live with a tax on manufactured foods that have a high fat content - but not if they're going to tax what I would call 'ingredients', which includes butter.

But this is really going to hit working mothers who have very little time to cook from scratch during the week. Force 'em out to work - then tax 'em to the hilt!

Viv 8)

PS AMBrennan - not all low-carbers follow Bernstein - he's too extreme even for me!

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
It's a serious problem though isn't it? It is difficult enough trying to eat a healthy low-carb diet with shelves and shelves of "low-fat" products (but hardly any "low-carb" or "low-sugar").

Groan. The only consolation is that low-fat margarines will be taxed too. But will manufacturers alter the fats in foods to get under the bar by increasing vegetable oils, and will livestock be fed more vegetable oil? Ugh.

The Swedes ran out of butter in some areas because of the rise in demand from low-carb-high- fatters. They will be pleased to see all that Danish butter coming over the border.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Patch said:
Our government SURELY can't be foolish enough to do this?

If they FORCE the population to eat that cheap **** by making everything else unaffordablE - THEY'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INEVITABLE CONSEQUENCES.
Patch, Don't be so silly, HMG are NEVER responsible for the consequences of their actions :twisted:

rfmiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people talking as fast as TV actors, newsgroup spammers
Re: Fat Tax

carty said:
Do you think us skinnies should start a petition or at least apply for an exemption on medical grounds :?
CAROL

Yes - you might need to gain weight.

A tax on fat is likely to interfere with the most effective method for controlling type 2 - a low-carb diet. And I don't mean the old definition of low-carb that called for more calories from carbs than from either fats or proteins. I mean low enough in carbs to reduce your appetite, control your weight, and control type 2 as well.

Also, I've found that it can be important to distinguish the ALA type of omega-3 from the more useful DHA type. The human body is very inefficient at converting ALA to DHA - less han 1% is converted.

The ALA type (found in walnuts and flaxseed) is useful for controlling neuropathy.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/Tara-Dairman/antioxidant_ala_eases_pain_from_diabetic_neuropathy/

The DHA type is an essential nutrient for human health. It's found is some fish from cold water (such as salmon and sardines) if they are caught wild, but often not if the same fish are farmed with a different diet. Also found in oysters, krill, and krill oil. Found in grass-fed beef, but not the cheaper and more common grain-fed beef. Cattle are able to convert the ALA found in grass to DHA.

http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/top_sources_omega_3s

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It won't improve anything!
Hana

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
My guess is the Danes are anti fat simply because the Swedes are so pro it :lol:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Perhaps "Nurse Death" from my surgery is Danish! :lol: She was not amused by my snack choice of Pork scratchings!! :twisted:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
xyzzy said:
My guess is the Danes are anti fat simply because the Swedes are so pro it :lol:

Having spent a few days in Copenhagen and Malmo last year (neighbouring cities in Denmark and Sweden), that's probably a fair observation, they seem to delight in doing things differently from each other.

TypeIIDieter

Such taxes have the immense political advantage of charging just as much to the poor, who are unrepresented in government, as to the wealthiest. All governments need to do to make a serious upward redistribution of wealth is to come up with enough excuses.

combatfoo2000

This was introduced as a bill into parliment after the PM'Qs last week by a type 2 diabetic MP , personally fat tax nope - don't believe in it as its carbs that are the main concern and as a hypoglyceamic -I need both carbs and fats, I think this needs to be re thought.

Pickwick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors who tell me how I feel rather than ask. Hospitals where clericals outnumber medical staff. Actually - hospitals in general - I stay out of them.
Standard bureacratic response these days from people without a glimmer of imagination of initiative. They see the problem (actually ALL problems) as simple. You need a set of rules - tick all the squares and the world will be perfect. Not working? No problem - we simply need more (and more, and more) rules. It's the way so much of our politics law and public life is run these days.

In Cameron's case, he's just after the cash. The alternative - tax his rich City friends - would just be too silly if he wants to retire in guaranteed luxury.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Personally, I'd have no problem with processed foods that have a high fat content being taxed....but I also feel we need to make healthy options more affordable - by this I mean fruit, veg, fresh meat & fish. Obesity is only going to keep on increasing whilst we make the high trans-fat, processed diet so much more affordable for those who don't know any better. Any taxation gained from this should be re-invested into educating people on how to eat a more balanced diet - let's not overlook the majority of people AREN'T diabetic and it's OK for them to eat carbs as part of a balanced diet - as well as the healthy fats found in things such as Olive Oil & advocados for example.

HOWEVER, if Shameron and Co are planning a blanket tax on foods with a fat content over, say 5%, this is frankly absurd and unhelpful - the human body actually REQUIRES fats to function...Anyway, I thought one of his promises was to get rid of the so called "Nanny State" - yet another big fat lie!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
combatfoo2000 said:
This was introduced as a bill into parliment after the PM'Qs last week by a type 2 diabetic MP , personally fat tax nope - don't believe in it as its carbs that are the main concern and as a hypoglyceamic -I need both carbs and fats, I think this needs to be re thought.

Can you remember the name of the MP? I'd like to email him. All their emails are available at www.parliament.uk.

Viv8)