Just started Byetta

Sarah1005

Hello.

I am new here and would like some support please, I was diagnosed T2 in Jan 2010, I take metformin and glyclazide.

I started Byetta last Tuesday, along with my other meds. Does anyone here have any experience with Byetta? I am finding the side effects a bit harsh and was wondering if they get better with time?
I am ringing my nurse tomorrow to tell her how I am getting on. On the plus side Byetta is working and having the desired effect but if the side effects persist I may have to stop.

Feeling a bit dis heartened!

Thank you

Sarah

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
hello, as is now evident the forum tends to be quiet on weekends. I reckon everyone logs on instead of working! But there are some great & wise people who can help & will do shortly. I'm only on a tiny metformin dose so don't have the experience to help, sorry but welcome anyway.

Dottybagpuss

Hi Sarah

Can't give you any help regarding Byetta and its side effects I'm afraid. Just wanted to say "hello and welcome, from one almost newbie to another"... :)

I do know, however, that you will get lots of help on here from others who do have experience of the drug. Just watch this space!!

FairyElephant

Hello

I am only on metformin, but I did see a thread in the drugs and medicine section of the form entitled byetta, it's massive about 30 odd pages long, with lots of people's experiences and side effects.

Sorry I have no idea how to paste the link for you. Hope you find it.

Hope the side effects don't last long ( a few weeks of sickness from what I read)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum :) Here is the link to the main Byetta thread where you will find all the information you need:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12086

hawksey

Hello,
Ive been on Byetta for about a year now. First couple of weeks I had a lot of nausea but that went and it happens rarely now.
Ive lost about three quarters of a stone as it slows down your digestion and you dont feel hungry. I find it very difficult to eat large meals. I feel hungry, cook a big meal and then can't eat it!
My Blood sugar levels have definately improved. Within a month I had gone to single figures for the first time.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Paul

SueR

Sorry but I can only give mixed comments about Byetta. I had an awful time on it and ended up on insulin.

The first eighteen months on it were fine, yes I had side effects but milk settled the nausea, I lost weight but my sugar levels never really went down. I had frequent upset stomachs and sickness and barely ate anything - but I battled on, until a check-up revealed that my levels were not dropping.

I was then put on insulin and told to continue the Byetta but had a severe reaction to the mix and stopped using Byetta. I have since been told that I am allergic to Byetta and have built up the allergy to it. It leaves me very annoyed because I had battled side effects and made it known that I had them. The continuing side effects were an indication of me being allergic to it.

My advice to everyone using it, is take note of the side effects and don't suffer in silence. If it makes you feel continuously ill then say something. Please do not wait until you have the same reactions to it that I had. I have heard of other people being ill with it too and having to stop using it.

Byetta doesn't work for everyone, so please be aware of this and don't feel a failure if it's not for you.

norwichbondy

hi i have been on byetta for about 8 months the first side effect is feeling sick but you are started on 5mg the sickness does fade it might come back when you go on to 10mg they can put you back down to 5mg for a while then increase later but dont give up it realy works but dont inject after food it really drops your level very quickly

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Oh no!! :sick: I'm starting Byetta friday but these side affects sound quite nasty! :thumbdown:

norwichbondy

dont worry just try it read up on it it has a weird origin as it produced from a lizard saliva yuk eh but i could never get my score down from 13 ish now its sits about 6 up a little when eating but it quickly drops it will also stop you feeling hungry

Sarah1005

Thanks everyone for replying, I have experienced 2 hypos since starting byetta, one today and one yesterday, both in the morning while at work, I work in a special needs school. I have now gone down from 4 glyclazide a day to one, its hard trying to find the right balance between byetta and the tablets, I have also reduced my food intake quite a bit since starting it.
I am still feeling shaky and nervous, strange really, I cant decide wether I am hungry or not, hope it settles soon, only been a week so, the nausea is slightly better but still there.
I certainly dont want to go up to the 10mcg dose while feeling like this!!