medical exemption form?

A

Anonymous

Hi,I have had my first diabetic nurse visit today and I was told that they dont like to give T2s strips :( so looks like I will have to buy a different bg monitor with cheaper strips as I am still in the food experimenting stage.The receptionist also said that I am not entitled to an exemption form as I am not a T1 diabetic. I am on 1 metformin a day to start with ,from today, so I thought i would be,or have I got it wrong?Would it be a good idea to speak to the doctor do you think? Any information would be gratefully received.

Grazer

Doesnt matter if you're type 1 or 2, thats definite. You get a certificate for free prescriptions as a diabetic if youre on medication, and I'm 98% sure that metformin counts for "medication"

norwichbondy

go back to your doctor if you are T2 you get free prescriptions for your medication its down to your doctor what else you can have as everything in this wounderful country its down to money when i was first diagnoised i was limited to strips the test kit now should be i-sens caresens n all strips and lancets are cheaper but its still down to your local authoity to spend its money try 08008815423 support line you might be able to get some free samples and by the way you can claim back you vat on these as you have a disabling condition advice service for this is 08450109000 keep pushing

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all of you for your quick replies :D I will phone to speak to the doctor tomorrow,I'm just finding it confusing as to who to ask for supplies at the surgery but going from your advice it is most likely the doctor himself.
Norwichbondy, is the i-sens the test kit given out by some doctors?
Thanks again for your advice ,I really dont know what I would have done without this forum :thumbup:

LaughingHyena

FWIW my doctors did not have copies of the form for the free prescriptions card, there is a phone number on the link above I would ring and get a copy sent to you, then it just has to go to the doctors for them to sign it. In my case I left it with the reception desk and it was passed on to a doc to sign, I didn't need to make an appointment to get it done.

The medical exepmtion is for all your prescriptions too, not just the D related medications.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi merlin2k. You are entitled to free prescriptions as T2 so go get what is owing to you.

When you do get one then look at it VERY CAREFULLY. Here's what they sent me the first time :lol:

Had my local pharmacist on the floor when I presented it to him!

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3,336

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had a medical exemption fom when I was young enough to qualify. Now I get Old age exemption.

norwichbondy

its the one my local authority is giving to people i think they might have a good deal with them lol but the strips are good because they are non coded

rak2

The girl at my chemists gave me an exemption form to fill in and get the doctor to sign, which she did, no problem. Although neither doctor I saw mentioned it to me about filling in the form.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
xyzzy said:
Hi merlin2k. You are entitled to free prescriptions as T2 so go get what is owing to you.

When you do get one then look at it VERY CAREFULLY. Here's what they sent me the first time :lol:

:lol: This made me smile ...
Love posts like this one!
Anna. :D

A

Anonymous

xyzzy said:

Xyzzy That is sooo funny :lol: really cheered me up :)
Thanks again everyone for all the advice ,very,very much appreciated :thumbup:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The most embarrassing thing is I never noticed! :oops: Just stuffed it in my wallet and forgot about it. Wasn't until they sent a replacement and a grovelling apology two weeks later that it came to light.

Hope you got or get it sorted out soon.

A

Anonymous

I had a similar problem at a local optician. The girl behind the desk ticked Maternity Exemption instead of medical exemption on the forms that they send through to get the eye test charges back. About 3 weeks later I received a bill (from some NHS legal dept) in the post for the eye test plus £100 fine - accompanied by a threatening letter saying that they'd instruct bailiffs if I didn't pay etc etc..

I phoned the NHS department person and was told I had tried to defraud the NHS and it was a £100 spot fine or I could go to court. It took 2 days of threatening the optician with legal action before they'd admit their mistake and sort it out.

I clearly wasn't the only person needing their eyes tested.

keithyy

You can usually get a free testing kit and a starter supply of testing strips from offers on the Diabetes.co.uk site. I have tried a few and like the OneTouch Vario Pro best (which I got free from this site) as it needs the least amount of blood. There is nothing worse than having to prick your finger a second time unnecessarily just because you did not get enough the first time!

I am type 1.5 now, but had a medical exemption certificate as a type 2 (Metformin and diet).

Good luck.

glosman

You have been told wrong on BOTH cases.

Dealing with the second item first, ALL diabetics who require medication, even those who do not use insulin, can get a prescription excemption certificate. I got my first one several years ago when, technically, I was not diabetic. My sugar level was a little high, but not worryingly so, but my doctor put me on Metformin becuase it also helps to reduce blood pressure. At that point I was already taking three pills so I tried to say I really could not afford another med to which she replied "When I prescribe Metformin you will not have to pay for any drugs in future."

Now, to testing strips. The general rule that seems to apply these days is that if you need to test in order to get control (and if you are still in the early stages that certainly applies to you) then you get strips. If they want you to change meters to save them long term costs then they will provide you with the new one. I've had mine changed twice in the last 5 years. You will also get free lancets as needed. I get 100 test strips a month normally, but if I'm going through a bad time then I just put in a repeat request and I've never had it turned down.

Also, do you drive? If so then that is another angle that I've found works - you should not drive with either too high or too love blood sugar levels. Until you have learnt how you body feels when levels go wrong you need to test before you drive, and if it is a long drive then you need to test again part way (say after an hour or so).

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
glosman said:
The general rule that seems to apply these days is that if you need to test in order to get control (and if you are still in the early stages that certainly applies to you) then you get strips.

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with you Bob. I think you will find that although that might be applicable in your part of the country it is certainly not the case everywhere. You may also find in your own area that strips are not supplied to T2's who are just on Metformin. I see you are an insulin using T2. In my area I heard of case quite recently where a T2 on insulin was denied strips until that T2's consultant overrode the patients GP.

The argument that many of us have and the reason the T2 testing petition exists is that its just as applicable for us to "get control" via diet or diet + Metformin as it was for you to "get control" using insulin. In both cases we are trying to get our blood levels safe and should be provided with the tools to do so.

glosman said:
Also, do you drive? If so then that is another angle that I've found works - you should not drive with either too high or too love blood sugar levels. Until you have learnt how you body feels when levels go wrong you need to test before you drive, and if it is a long drive then you need to test again part way (say after an hour or so).

Again if the OP is only on Metformin there is no general reason for her to test prior to driving as she runs the same risks of hypos as a non diabetic. It is the reason that diet only or diet only + Metformin T2's do not have to report their diabetes to the DVLA. As an insulin using T2 your are quite right to highlight the dangers of driving if you haven't tested.

A

Anonymous

I will make sure I double check ,thanks for the warnings :thumbup: .Thats dreadfull Swimmer :shock: bet you could have done without the stress of all that.
I have phoned the surgery and spoken to a different receptionist ,who was very nice and helpful,and I can go and fill the form in and they will give it to the doctor to sign so I will make sure it is the right one.Dont know why they told me otherwise the first time :? Thanks for all your help :D