Worried about eyesight!!

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only been diagnosed for a week so working hard to get my levels down. Saw my GP last week & he has referred me for retinopathy check but didn't give me an idea of how long I'd have to wait. Anyway since then my eyesight has really deteriorated- I usually have to wear reading glasses but prescription is not too strong. Now I just can't see properly at all. Yesterday I was trying to pay for something in a shop & just couldn't see the coins in my purse- I had to just hold out a handful for them to pick from like when you're abroad!! Today I can't see my drug packets properly-or anything a couple of feet away- it's really scary!! -Long distance is ok.
Might it be due to my BG levels coming down? Should i speak to my GP?
Thanks.

jonesd

I should go th the gp as soon as you can or an optician. I had an eye test yesterday and apparently have high pressure in both eyes which can be a sign of glaucoma. One more test to go and if the pressures are high again then I have to got to the eye hospital. Was given a hand out on eye problems and it does say that any sudden changes in eyesight should be checked immediately.

Helenababe

It's common to get blurred vision in the early stages of diabetes because of the BG levels being too high. Once you have brought your levels down, and they are stable, the blurriness should clear up. Even now, if I have a meal that spikes my sugar, I can still get blurred vision untill it comes down. I don't eat anything when I'm due for an eye test so I get my vision as clear as possible.

Helena

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jonesd & Helena - reassured that this is a part of recently diagnosed db with high & changing bs- have read lots of threads now. I wouldve gone for immediate check Jonesd but I have just recently had a full check up at the opticians only a few weeks ago & my pressures were ok. So think I'll hang on a bit & meanwhile use it to help my motivation to do my best possible to avoid eye problems!!

Defren

I'm sure I read that when you begin to low carb it can effect the pressure in your eyes. Once you adjust to the new lower carb diet, your eyes should settle. Hopefully the author of that post will see this and tell you more.

Grazer

Higher BGs affect the density of fluid in the eye and effectively change the shape of the lens. This is why you should never have an eye test for new glasses with high BGs; you'll get the wrong prescription. As your BGs lower, the eyes should adjust.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update - in case anyone newly diagnosed reads this. I am now 5 weeks in with much lower & more stable BG levels & my eyesight has really improved. Still need my reading glasses but everything else is back to normal. Have also had my Retinopathy screening & all seems ok.

MaryJ

good news update,

sure it will help newer members as the eyesight problems seem to come up a lot

Mary x