Im petrifeid of school injecting my daughter!

kellyahayes

Hi there im new here and after a bit of advice. My daughter was diagnosed when she was 3 and has remained on 2 injections a day. The team are now putting the idea across that very soon she is likely to need to move up to 4 injections a day to gain better control. This is absolutely fine by me but im so worried about the lunchtime injection at school. This is all very new to her teachers and my daughter only allows myself or her dad to do them. I can see the worry in her face everytime the subject is discussed. Do people think that a pump would be a better way to go as i have no idea what to do. Many thanks xxx

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hi Kelly

Welcome to the board :)

I can't help you because I'm a Type 2 on no medication, but hopefully someone with experience of your situation will be along before too long.

shop

Hi Kelly,

I don't have a T1 child but my friends little boy (T1) started school full time in September. He was fitted with a pump in December and she says it is magnificent. She also has a teenage daughter who is T1 who injects. (recently diagnosed) When the hosp realised that it was difficult for her having 2 T1 children they sent someone to the little boys school to educate the teachers. I dont know the specifics but she used to go to school with him for the 1st yr ( he only did 1/2 days then .) Now he is Full time @ school and she doesnt have to go with him. Would it be worth speaking to your hospital to find out what is available.

Also I am sure I saw something on here about Juevenile Diabetes and a School pack.

Hopefully someone else might have some info.

Hope you get some help and advice though

Lucy xxx

kellyahayes

thank u for your replies. Im more concerned that my daughter is so scared of anyone else doing it. Im sure the teachers would cope fine as they have done up till now if she would just let them. Im just wondering if the pump would maybe make things easier. Think i will have to do more research into it xx

Hazza

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 6 and the teachers were only too happy to help in any way they could.
My wife and I used to go into school at lunch times and giver her the injections and we taught a couple of the teachers how to inject her and what to do in case of a Hypo.
The DSN also went in and covered everything with the school including a care plan.
I hope that your daughters school is as helpful and understanding as ours was/is, although she is now on a pump and it is much easier as she does know how to do things for herself. She is 9 now so has had time to learn, and is very sensible.
They grow up so quick.

All the best and take it one step at a time.
Harry

elainechi

hi i.m not sure that the school staff will or allowed to give injections. many won.t even put suntan cream on children. i think you are going to have to go in and give the injection. you might like to think about trying to get your daughter to inject herself or start thinking about it. eg clicking the required amount of units to start with. maybe injecting teddy. good luck. x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Kelly.
Could you or her dad not pop into school at lunchtimes to give her her insulin shots initially,
then as she develops trust with one or two of the teachers, teach the most trusted teacher your
daughter feels most relaxed and comfortable with , to start giving her an insulin shot.
It is a huge step starting big school for the infants, plus the trusting a complete stranger to administer an insulin
injection into them! Bless her.... She has some huge things to adjust to . [so young in age too]
You could all work together on this one, over a bit of adjustment time hopefully you will start to see your daughter look and feel more confident in letting someone else do it eventually ... ?
In the meantime keep reassureing your little girl and build up her trust and confidence.
It must be hard for you to see this and you will feel for her during this .
Please keep asking all the questions you need here.
There is always someone willing to offer help and support.
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x :)

serankine

I had the same problem with my daughter.
Although i worked at the school and could do it when she was first diagnosed i need to get Leah (since she was diagnosed age 4 half way through reception). When she started year 1 i new she needed to gain indpendence and i cant always be there at school for her (e.g if im ill or something happens in class).

We moved on to the pump for this reason. Leah wouldnt let any one else inject her apart from us since she kicks and wriggles. And is very emotional for us and Leah.

Being on the pump means we can do all the canula changes at home. All school need to do are her B.Gs which Leah can now do the just supervise it and her Carbs in the han held. They contact me if she has been 'high' twice in a row. so we can orrect with a pen and change the line if needed.

Leah loves the pump it is hard work, at the start we are still learning about it but it is on going. But it has made Leah life more 'normal'.
When on holiday if she wants an ice-cream with others for a treat she can have one without having an injection we just buzz her insulin.
At parties she doesnt have to leave the table for an injetion again we can just buzz her.
We were lucky and manage to try the pump first to see how Leah got on.
Hope this is useful.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I was in your place and my daughter didn't want a staff member to inject (personally I don't blame her), and if I was "petrified of the school injecting my daughter" then I'd push for a pump and forget about MDI. If it's not practical for a parent to be at school every day without fail at lunchtime and you and your daughter are not comfortable with a staff member (not a medical professional) administering an injection then I would ask for a pump on the grounds that using injections is not practical. If on the other hand your daughter and you are not keen on pumping then you need to look at either being there every lunchtime to help her until she is able to inject herself (if the school will allow that), or overcome her objection to having a teacher inject - assuming the school is willing to do that. My daughter's school would not inject and would not allow her to inject herself - rule about children not being allowed to self-administer medication - so I had to be there every day for lunchtime until we got a pump.

kellyahayes

thank u all so much for your replies. i think im definately going to discuss the pump with our diabetes team on our next visit. Caitlyn is such a worrier and i know if she knows she has to do it she will become so distress and she has coped so well up till now. I will find it impossible to be at school every lunch time as i have 2 younger children and one attends playgroup and needs collecting at the same time. And also the thought of the school not being allowed to do the injections never even entered my head, i just assumed they had to do whatever was nessesary for the health of the child.

brightstar

My daughter is T1 and is on a basal/bolus regime, she has to have insulin for lunchtime in school.
I visit the school every day and inject her.
The school wouldn't even consider getting a teacher to inject her, or even supervising her if she injected herself. She is still too young to let alone with her pen as a half a unit the wrong way and she could hypo (that is an ongoing issue due to sensitivity).

To be perfectly frank about it, if I was put in the position and asked to inject a child, I probably wouldn't want to, so I wouldn't put a teacher in a position and ask them the same question.

My daughter will soon be put on a pump, and even then I would be cautious to leave her control her insulin and will still probably call to the school to monitor her. She is very careful and has excellent understanding of T1, but still she is a child and they are so easily distracted. A pump isn't the easy, fastest answer I'm afraid.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even though I inject myself, I would be petrified of injecting a child. and would refuse. I trained to teach not to nurse.
In the past all the children I taught were on 2 injection a day regimes so the question never arose ; more a question of snacks at the right time and knowing what to do when a child was hypo. t is a real problem with modern regimes.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In our case what made it easier with a pump and why the school was more willing to oversee administration of insulin through the pump rather than injection is because the pump makes all the calculations for us. With injections the person administering the insulin needed to calculate a correction dose based on the blood glucose reading (if one was needed), plus add that to the amount of insulin needed to cover the lunch. Plus there is the dialing up of how much insulin is needed onto the insuiln pen. A number of opportunities in these actions for miscalculation or errors. With the pump, provided an adult is there to oversee the numbers (BG reading and carbs in lunch) are inputted correctly, then the pump makes all the calculations and delivers the insulin giving less opportunity for error. I also think people/staff do find injections more intimidating and I wouldn't ask a staff member to do that on my behalf unless they were comfortable about doing it.

xxmush1983xx

My daughter was diagnosed about 3 months ago, and to be honest the school has been fantastic with the injections. They do, however, have a full time first aider and some teachers are trained in giving injections. The DSN has visited the school a few times and I had to go in for the first week or so. There was already a pupil there with T1, so perhaps this contributed to ease with which they accepted it. The school will not, however, apply sunscreen or give antibiotics or anything like calpol, but I think schools need to realise that at the end of the day they have a duty of care and that insulin isn't just run of the mill medication, it is essential to prevent the child becoming ill. Is there a first aid team at the school? Even if you were to be present until your daughter was comfortable with others injecting her. The beauty of children is that they adapt so quickly, my daughter is 5 and has gone from being petrified of needles to injecting her self and pricking her finger to do blood tests. Have you had a meeting with the school about it?

Michelle x

moesherrie

My son is 4 years old, and we just placed him on the Omnipod Insulin Pump---no more shots. My son was diagnosed at 2 years of age. This insulin pump is exceptional. It is a remote system---no tubing. Basically, the pod is attached to a fatty area on your child after the pod is filled with insulin. My son's pod is on his buttock. Once the pod is set in place on your child, the remote PDM tells the pod to release the catheter (a small teflon needle) into the skin where it will remain for 72 hours before the pod has to be changed. It is virtually painless, except for a small sensation upon the catheter going in. After that the feeling goes away and no pain. Now all you or anyone has to do is prick your child's finger, test her blood using the Omnipod or another glucose meter, type in carbs that she will eat each meal and the machine will know how much bolus to give automatically. The handheld PDM walks you through it all. No need for another painful shot and a crying toddler. Since it is a remote system, you control the remote and your child can't over bolus themselves. Also, you doctor will set the program to basal your child throughout the day automatically. I am able to test my son and administer insulin at night without even waking my child. I am thankful for Omnipod. I hope this helps your little one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Contact Diabetes UK. They have excellent advice services for parents of diabetic children. Look up the careline number on their website.
Hana

Dannymum

Hi there,

My son was diagnosed with Type 1, 2+ years ago, when he was 4-5 yrs. I understand your concerns.

For the past year, he has been on mdi, 4+ injections per day, at first I had to go in each lunchtime to do his injection to cover lunch. I did this for the whole reception year. The school were happy to do the tests OK.

However, this year the school have been trained by the Diabetes team to give injections. This has worked out OK as I attended the meetings with staff and voiced my concerns.

You always have the option of going in each lunchtime to do that jab. Then over time, once the staff have been fully trained they could take over the task, to give your daughter time to adjust. If you are happy with that.
My son's school has 2 staff, a person doing the test/jab and a checker.

The school do not work out the insulin dose, I work it out according to his meal / carb intake, this is written in a red notebook each day, with test results, food intake etc. It goes into school / home each day. They phone me if he is too high b4 to adjust the dose.
The book is kept in his bookbag and goes back / forth to school each day.

There is a big change to go with MDI, alot more work is involved, and it takes time to get used to it. I have looked into a pump bit will wait a while yet.

Good luck with it all , Lois

raesj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your daughter will definitely be better off with a pump. It would be a good idea to initialise over the summer holidays so that you and your daughter are fully able to understand how it works. Get cracking IMMEDIATELY with support on how to get her on the pump ASAP. It will be the most wonderful choice for everyone involved in your daughter's diabetic care; both long term, and of course - short term. Good luck and all the best.x
:D