Fear not. Private Health Care on the Horizon.

C

catherinecherub

I really don't understand this one, private health care firms bidding to take control of chronic conditions and in so doing lessening hospital admissions.

What will this mean for us, we have a chronic condition and the private sector are going to hand any profit made back to the NHS???????? Private sector don't have loss leaders in health care do they. They would soon ditch them if they did.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsarticle ... conditions

I have my views on this but wondered what others thought?

smitha48

Hi Catherine,

My personal opinion is that i would be happy for private companies to deal with long term or short term illnesses/conditions, as long as the provision was still 'free' to the patient, was provided at no additional cost to the Central budget, was at least as good as your current local arrangements (but i believe it would be better). An advantage could be that care will be'standard', which currently does not happen in the NHS........T2's are fully aware of this......Test strips etc

One thing we should all think about is the amount of waste in the NHS, which private companies do not put up with!!

Lets face it your doctor can refer you to the private sector NOW, so why not involve them straight away.

As long as the caveats are in place to protect the patient(s), then why not :?:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I can't see private companies being interested in diabetic care. It is too chronic a condition with multiple complications and will eat up their profits. It's the same scenerio as private health insurance companies who refuse to insure people who have been with them for many years as they get older or push up their premiums so they are unaffordable, or exclude a condition for which an individual has previously had treatment. It's all about the profit :(

jopar

Those Private health care providers who bid for care of Chronic conditions within a pilot scheme will be doing so on a long term investment in other area's!

I personally think that these scheme's will be purely be based on 'Getting the foot through the door' no doubt we might see some improvements in our treatment, but I seriously have my doubts, any improvements will be to appeasement of the decision makers who give contracts out!

If we look at the history of the NHS and how they contracted out many different services to outside agents/organisations... Outcomes have been pretty poor, take cleaning contracts and flogging off their car parks, we've got dirtier hospital and excessive parking fee's! And the latter the hospital doesn't receive a income from, the using private sector to build hospital etc... What happen here, yes an initial minimal investment required but then tied into an contractual agreement that they will never own the building and an ever increasing cost! The only winner being the private provider!

Another thought, is that under the new NHS reform, their are a lot of other changes happening, such as in around 2014 NICE guidelines will go back to it's beginnings with no clout, as around 2014 what treatment we receive a group of GP's will decided what treatments they want to provide... This coming in depends on when the New NHS reform Act is passed!

And with the NHS reform act comes our NHS will no longer be answerable to the government, until now changes etc to how our Health Service is provided needed Acts of Parliament to change how it's run... Once the Act's gone through our health services is no longer answerable so can do as it's pleases, change how it provides our care as it wishes..

So yep, if the Private Health Care provider takes over our diabetic clinic's, it won't be long before they started heading it towards charging us for our care!

smitha48

jopar said:
........If we look at the history of the NHS and how they contracted out many different services to outside agents/organisations... Outcomes have been pretty poor, take cleaning contracts and flogging off their car parks, we've got dirtier hospital and excessive parking fee's! And the latter the hospital doesn't receive a income from, the using private sector to build hospital etc... !

Sorry to disillusion you Jopar, the hospitals make a very tidy amount from parking charges :!: They contract out the management and keep a large percentage of the fees. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:

As we know from people's experiences on this forum the care they receive can be hit and miss, for those who are unhappy with their care they may see an improvement but for those like myself who received excellent care it could go the other-way.

Unbeliever

noblehead said:
catherinecherub said:

As we know from people's experiences on this forum the care they receive can be hit and miss, for those who are unhappy with their care they may see an improvement but for those like myself who received excellent care it could go the other-way.

I read about the prposed hiving off of diabetic care quite sme ime ago. This explains - to me at least- why many GPs are distancing themselves from diabetes care in the Pracice and leaving it to the Nurse. The proposed new system was planned as "nurse-led"

This would be fine if we could be sure of a properly trained corps of nurses -could be much better than what many of us have to endure now - but also it might be just a scrapyard for redundan pracice diabetes nurses .
I remeber another thread on here a while ago where someone {possibly catherine?} found that there was no standard qualification for DSns in general practice. While some were highly qualified ,others -were not ,shall we say?