any1 got type1 diabetes and drinks alcohol?

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Type 1 for 27 years and counting....

I wouldn't want to live in a world without red wine! I have a couple of glasses every evening, sometimes more, and I credit it with helping to keep my blood sugars at a normal level.
There's very little sugar in cabarnet sauvignon, shiraz, rioja etc. and the alcohol has a lowering effect on blood sugar. This seems to be because it inhibits the liver from producing sugar to some degree. My levels are normally fine in the morning.

You can overdo it of course, and a few too many can increase the liklihood of hypoglycemia for hours afterwards. So, no benders then.

Cheers,

fergusc

LesleyB

yeah, as I posted somewhere earlier today, beer contains loads of carbohydrates and can raise your BS a lot

As Fergus says he has a few glasses of wine every evening, I have been told it is better to do this rather than have a major binge.

If you do have to have a binge (sometimes you just can't help it), make sure you have some form of slow release carbohydrate on your way home (bag of chips etc) otherwise you may hypo in the night - you may not notice if you are hypoglycemic due to being drunk, so you need to keep an eye on your sugars during the evening out.

Large amounts of alcohol are bad for you whether you are diabetic or not so I guess the advice would be to not consume massive quantities of the stuff.

Every now and again can't be sooo bad can it?

hails

I am quite a naughty drinker anyway and unfortunately im part of the binge culture! I dont have problems really relating to the diabetes and the alcohol. I dont allow anything to stop me living and me going out on a saturday isnt going to last forever. My levels are perfect so even though alcohol isnt good for a diabetic it is equally not as good for a non-diabetic!

sugar

I am not a big drinker...but like Hails said, don't think diabets should stop us enjoying life! I just treat it like I do any carbohydrate, and adjust my insulin accordingly.

Cheers!

deanfeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mondays
I have a drink most nights and i find that it keeps my blood sugars under control. When i dont have a drink i find that my blood sugars are always running high8)

It will all be fine....

shellie08

drinking alcohol makes ure bm go high and then low very quickly. After a night out, eat something on ure way home (bag of chips)/wen u get home, so that wen ure blood sugar falls due to the alcohol, the carbs will keep it at an ok level.

having diabetes shouldnt stop u from having fun........

KimSuzanne

been type 1 for 17 years and I drink every now and again as long as you r careful and know your limits I don't think you should stop enjoying life.
Just need to be careful not to get drunk coz a hypo and being drunk can look similar

Kimmy

lauren_gee_x

ii'v got type 1 and driink most weekends :d iits never done me any harm :d x

ii usually driink vodka and diiet iirn bru :D or ciider and blackcurrant :d x

xxlaurenxx

Sweet3x

Lauren, ouch on the cider and black! unless it diet black? Hard to come by, in pubs, though. The vodka is ok, though :) Clear spirits and diet mixers are the best to drink. Wine is ok. Liqueurs and sweet spirits aren't so good.

I think, as long as you are with someone who knows what to do, getting drunk occassionally is ok. I'm not a huge drinker but I have got drunk twice during my time in France, now. Fortunately, my boyf is very concientious, and as soon as he notices I'm getting a bit merry immediately stops drinking himself so that he can keep an eye on me. So, so far, no problems :)

Just take care, though. As someone says here, it can cause your blood sugar to drop, and send you hypo, and it may be mistaken for just being drunk. Carry glucose tablets with you, and try to train yourself to eat them as soon as you feel hypo. It won't stop you getting drunk (I think! I may be wrong here), but it will stop you going hypo :)

Marz Barr

i have the ocasinal drink but is very rare i like whit wine and lemonade i was given a bottle of wine for christmas and i have only drunk the neck

Sweet3x

Marz Barr said:
i have the ocasinal drink but is very rare i like whit wine and lemonade i was given a bottle of wine for christmas and i have only drunk the neck

Yurk! It won't be drinkable now! Wine ideally needs to be drunk within 24 hours at most - air gets to it, and it goes sour.

Marz Barr

i don,t know i will have to check it it,s in the fridge i have,nt touched it for months shows what a drinker i am. NOT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sweet3x

Marz Barr said:
i don,t know i will have to check it it,s in the fridge i have,nt touched it for months shows what a drinker i am. NOT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lol make sure you are by a sink if you try it, so you have somewhere to spit into ;) But at least if you do end up spitting it out all over the carpet, it's white so won't stain too badly :lol:

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Drinkies!

My mate Steve, who has retired, blast him, is a T1 and he LOVES his scotch - mostly single malt.

He ealso drinks red wine and lager - usually he drinks with meals.

Since he is a Parks ranger in the Peak District, I suppose he walks most of it off.

We go out regularly, and we all know food is imminent when Steve bolts out with his little package.

I'm T2, and I share his love of single malt.
I have changed the usual tipple from cider to lager, but I only have one. The rest of the time I'm on lime and soda.

I also drink wine, but since I am a martyr to migraine, it's usually white wine. :wink:

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
whitemare said:
Drinkies!

I also drink wine, but since I am a martyr to migraine, it's usually white wine. :wink:

lol whitemare...I'm the opposite, can only drink red as i suffer from major league migraines, through trial and error i found white and rose bring them on! :?

sportyclaire

Hi there,im 27 and been diabetic for 17 yrs now, i hardly drink alchol to the point only takes me 3 bottles breezers to feel tipsy!, i always eat crisps throught the night while im drinking and have somthing like chips on way home.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
sportyclaire said:
Hi there,im 27 and been diabetic for 17 yrs now, i hardly drink alchol to the point only takes me 3 bottles breezers to feel tipsy!, i always eat crisps throught the night while im drinking and have somthing like chips on way home.
Hi everyone i go out every weekend have done since i was type 1 at the age of 17.Used to drink pils lager years ago but now dry white wine and soda.I always end up cockeyed!!!But what the heck you only live once and i make sure i have a snack like crisps etc and something on way home from club.I nearly always still have low blood sugars next day (but its my own fault) but its part of being diabetic i suppose.My friends say they have hangovers but its worse for us type 1s because we get hangovers and low blood sugars.!!sometimes we dont get home till about 6 in the morning but im not going to stay in or come home when i am enjoying myself.I just inject my lantus the same time every night at 9pm and if i am out make sure i do it befor i get too drunk!!!I have to laugh in diabetic clinic when the docs ask if you drink.So i just say i have a bottle each night at the weekend!!!cheers everyone cant wait for the weekend.Wouldnt mind but it hasnt done me any harm and i now 54 and been diabetic type 1 since i was 17