Carbs / sugar in Lemsip ?

MadMat

Anyone know how much carb / sugar in a lemsip drink? Got a stinking cold and would like to take on before work tonight!!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Save yourself some money and take two paracetamol and sip some lemon in hot water. It's the same.

wiflib

Grazer

Lemsip powders have quite a lot of carbs in the form of sugar. i don't take them. The lemsip capsules are ok. Have a capsule, or as wiflib says, paracetamol and a hot lemon drink. Same thing and cheaper. Chuck in a tot of whisky, even better!

Grazer

Sorry, just spotted your taking it before work, so maybe the whisky isn't such a good idea! :thumbdown:

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Snap. Much to the embarassment of my local <well named UK chemist> the staff opened up various boxes of the satchet stuff and we couldn't see the sugar/carb content...bizarre.

I thought as Diabetics and therefore more vunerable to colds etc we may present a market for sugar free stuff!

I was craving a hot lemony drink basically and ended up buying lemon flavour dissolving tabs instead (they had Aspartame...I know not very healthy equivalent but better than taking unknown quantity of sucrose I suppose) I then just continued to drink Green Tea flavoured with lemon all afternoon.

Think I'll keep it simple and follow wiflib's solution next time.

Incidently, I was sent home from work yesterday anyway because I was a zombie! Go figure.

Do Diabetics suffer worse with a cold? I don't remember a time when I called knocked me out so much I just couldn't engage my brain at all and was so fatigued.

MadMat

Grazer said:
Sorry, just spotted your taking it before work, so maybe the whisky isn't such a good idea! :thumbdown:

Indeed not, "I've got a cold" isn't going to work if I get breathalysed :)

I'm sure theres more than just paracetamol in lemsip (the ones I have in the cupboard are Lemsip max flu) they do a much better job with a cold than just paracetamol.

Active ingredients list a decongestant I just noticed.

Mat

Defren

MadMat said:
Grazer said:

Indeed not, "I've got a cold" isn't going to work if I get breathalysed :)

I'm sure theres more than just paracetamol in lemsip (the ones I have in the cupboard are Lemsip max flu) they do a much better job with a cold than just paracetamol.

Active ingredients list a decongestant I just noticed.

Mat

Try some vapour rub as well. I hate colds, but find if I use a vapour rub and can at least breathe it doesn't seem so bad.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MadMat said:
Anyone know how much carb / sugar in a lemsip drink? Got a stinking cold and would like to take on before work tonight!!

If ever in doubt about a product being suitable I find it's best to ask the Pharmacist for their advice on choosing something for diabetics, if you use the same pharmacy all the time it's even better as they'll have a list of your current meds.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I seem to get a lot of coughs and colds and have put it down mainly to frequent contact with young grandchildren. However i noticed it's listed as a side effect on the leaflet of my Candesartan tabets. Anyway doctor thinks it's a combination of the 2 and has let me come off the tablets. BP was 100/? when he measured this afternoon.
Hana