Type 1 + crazy weight gain

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, i'm type one diabetic - have been for 10 years now - but for the past week i've been trying to get my blood sugar under control. I'm eating a reasonably healthy diet, with no more than 2000 cals a day yet i've gained almost a stone in 1 week!? I'm using the carbs and cals app to monitor cals and get my insulin:carb ratio right. i'm putting on more and more every day so getting a bit worried people will notice/comment soon.. :S
Does anyone know if my weight gain will stop soon!? or what i can do to stop it? :(
Thanks.

Elc1112

Fun isn't it?! Diabetes under control, wedge suddenly out of control! If your diabetes hasn't been tightly controlled then you probably will find that you put weight on easily as your sugars come down. A stone in a week does seen like a lot though. I'd try cutting your calorie intake and making sure that you're getting the right kind of calories. I tend to stick to 1200-1500 calories a day. That keeps me full and maintains my weight.

Hope you manage to find the right balance soon!

Good luck

Em x

s230787

When you say you are eating a healthy diet, have you increased your carb intake, hence increasing your insulin dose?
Have you been injecting too smaller quantities but now upped the dose as you take more control?

Insulin is a growth hormone, and if you are taking increased amounts it may result in weight gain, not sure how quickly this would work though. Have you looked a following a low carb approach? this would mean you get lots of yummy food (meat, cheese, cream, eggs etc) but can generally reduce the insulin dosage that you are taking due to the smaller amounts of carbs? Mine dosage has probably reduced by 1/2 now.

I also recommend keeping a food diary so you can see easily what agrees with you.

Keep at it and good luck :)

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am having a simiar problem and it has shocked me how quickly my weight has shot up. It doesn't help people commenting on it never mind my poor hubby being told constantly how fat I feel. If you find an answer then let me know as I am dying to get rid of this extra 2 stone I have put on. It is really upsetting me x