how much is...

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How much is too low, carbs that is? Can you go too low for health?
I say this because after yesterdays very low carb approx 15/20 % carbs, and this mornings cheese omlette I had a level of 5.2 WOOOOOP. First time ever. Great but is it healthy?

MaryJ

Carbs are the only food group not to have a recommended daily amount.

From reading peoples posts on here, there have been no studies to definatively say it is not a healthy way to eat.

I'm am sticking with it. I eat between 30/50 ish per day, some days less some days more, my food intake is more varied and I think healthier than pre DB, my HBA1c is down to 'normal' levels and I've lost 2 stone.

There are other members who have been low carbing for years and are testament to no detrimental effects.

Mary x

Defren

dawnmc said:
I say this because after yesterdays very low carb approx 15/20 % carbs, and this mornings cheese omlette I had a level of 5.2 WOOOOOP. First time ever. Great but is it healthy?

At the moment I am on 9g a day, and have been for 2 weeks (ND). Before that, I had days with 5g. I am fitter, healthier, more active and alive than I have been in years. My GP knows what I am doing (not the ND) but ULC and is fine with it.

Brilliant news on your 5.2, really thrilled for you.

josie38

Hi dawn,

I would like to say that there are times when i dont eat any carbs with a meal. I'm aT1 on a pump and it doesn't affect my healthxxxxxxxxxxxx

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
dawnmc said:

It's very healthy. Not only is it healthy, but it's probably closer to what you evolved to eat. Compared to some of us, 15% carbs is not that low at all (but judging from your scores it seems to be low enough for you).

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient, you could get by with 0g per day (although you'd probably need some supplements to keep you healthy long term).

However 0g a day is neither parctical or necessary. Just make sure you save your carbs for healthy vegetables like brocolli or spinach. I get enough healthy vegetables and vitamins on less than 30g a day.

Well done by the way!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ok thats so good to know, thankyou. Its getting easier for me now being a vegetarian to eat low. Took a bit of researching but I'm there now, thanks again.

Grazer

Their is a "guideline daily level" for carbs, which is 250 grams for a woman. But there is no convincing evidence I've seen that says low carbing is bad for you. I have, however, seen extremely good evidence that says high blood sugar and being overweight is very bad for you. So whatever level of carbs you need to sort those two demons out are what you should go with. So go for it! And well done on the figure - the 5.2 that is! :oops:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
My average carbs are around 50 to 60g a day sometimes less but anything over 80g in a day and my BG levels start to rise so that's my limiting factor. I have seen no evidence that a low carb diet does long term damage.