Dating sites: opinions/experiences

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seen as you are all a mixed bunch of lovely people from all walks of life and have all different experiences, I thought I'd ask your opinions on something totally non diabetic related.

I've been separated almost 2 years now after 21 years of marriage. It's been a really difficult period in my life but I feel now that I would like to try to move on. However, the extent of my social life is the weekly shopping in Asda!! :(

Has anybody on here had any experiences, good or bad, on dating sites that they would like to share with me? When I last dated (1985 when I met my husband) dating sites didn't exist.....in fact computers hadn't been invented!! :lol:

cteld

I think they, along with other internet social venues, are the wave of the future...heck, the present...especially for anyone who doesn't regularly meet scads of new eligibles every day. I don't know how it is over there, but in the States, I swear they're becoming the only sensible way to meet people.

The voice of common sense and tradition will say that they're scary, that anyone might be anyone, that "you never know who you'll meet." But if you take precautions, use common sense, and share details and meeting times with others, you'll enjoy the benefits of knowing straight off if they're a smoker/non-smoker, want kids, are married, have allergenic cats, have exactly YOUR wacky sense of humor, live within range, etc. - all the stuff covered in people's online profiles. This is WAY more than you usually know about someone you meet at a party, or even at work or school or church - and you get to find it out BEFORE you even contact them. Many people who meet traditionally don't find out this sort of stuff until they've been dating for a year!

And just as in person, some people lie, but most people don't. Some dating sites are fee-based and have identity checking services to help protect their users. You definitely DO have to be careful. Then again, so do you in "real life." And on the Internet, at least, you're less likely to fall victim to someone's charm. Charm does NOT a permanent relationship make, but it can surely waylay you for a long time...!

I met my significant other through a dating site and know many people who did the same. It's like self-publishing in today's technology-enabled world - not tawdry anymore. :)

The big challenge with online dating is actually figuring out HOW to find the one who's right for YOU. How to recognize that person in writing and photos or videos, and how to present yourself to candidates. It's a skillset in and of itself!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I too was divorced at 40 after 20 yrs of marriage and 4 lovely kids. I was 43 when when I decided to try and meet someone. The Guardian newspaper has a supplement The Guide. In there were sort of dating lines, free for women, anyway, long story short, I met my partner through it. We have been together 14 yrs now.
Happy hunting

A

Anonymous

I started using Love and Friends after I got divorced (after being married for 19 years). Met some nice people through it over the course of a few years.

Met S through the site and in a few days we'll have our 4th wedding anniversary :D

S

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats great reading all these success stories!

Congratulations to you all and thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm still traditional and old fashioned but I suppose it's like dieting in that it helps to read about other peoples successes. (real people and not manufactured stories for advertising!)I have registered on a free one but I'm finding it rather daunting to say the least!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been using online dating sites for years but don't let my lack of success put you off!
The things to be aware of are:
- Fake profiles. If you have an ounce of intelligence, these are easy to spot.
- The 'men' that use them for sexual encounters and nothing else.
- The old lady chasers. I'm 51 and apparently very attractive 25 year olds.
- Be prepared for the stupid and rude. I recently got a random message form some moron who said I would never 'get' anyone because my dreadlocks are disgusting. Silly boy.

Put a photo on your profile. If you don't some 'men' will assume that you want sex only because you are hiding.
Log out and do a search for women that match you to see different good and bad profiles.
If you are on POF, you can see my profile under sagefemme. Send me a message there to say hi.
Enjoy it. I have had some wonderful relationships and have made many friends from dating sites. I have many, many friends who have meet and married that way.
My lack of success is probably because my look is only attractive to a minority and I've always been a bit odd!

wiflib

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Avoid all contacts from third world countries and some Northern European especially Russia.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Us girls don't get that Bob. It's usually the other way round. We get African men pretending to be US soldiers that need help in getting out of the army.

wiflib

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
More to these dating sites than you realise :eek:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's spiffing fun!

Any single men here who would fancy a coffee with a quirky woman?

wiflib

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey I never thought of trying that!!! +1 :lol:

It's becoming a bit of an addiction now. On the plus side it's keeping me away from the chocolate!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You wait until you download the app. I'm forever on my phone to see who's viewed me and when I get a message it's like a parcel has arrived.
It is filpping addictive and I love it!

wiflib

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid I've got an old fashioned phone that doesn't do apps :( :oops:

But it definitely is becoming an addiction and I know what you mean about the excitement of getting a message :D

I can't get anything else done!!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I've met 2 women from sites & personally found them both quite dull! Due to personal issues right now I'm not actively loooking at the moment-sorry if that upsets any of the fine ladies here!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No offence taken but just because we use dating sites, doesn't mean we are any different from the rest of the population!

wiflib

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Absolutely no offence intended in my remark, every one is individual but so far in my limited experience I've met 2 individuals who weren't for me. My friend on the other hand met someone & together they've emigrated to new zealand. I am aware that not all dating site users are dull after all i'm on there & my life ain't dull, in fact right now I wish it was!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
wiflib said:
It's spiffing fun!

Any single men here who would fancy a coffee with a quirky woman?

wiflib

Don't be ridiculous. You should never have relationship with another diabetic, it wouldn't last a week. How would you protect your squirty cream and sugar-free jelly supplies?

Grazer

I'm devastated Choco. You'll meet a nice Ram and run away to have little lambs together in a pasture far away, and i'll never hear from you again! :cry:

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wiflib

Your too youngand far too pretty for an old git like moi :shock:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I thinks she looks a LOT younger than her age,surprised she hasn't been 'Snapped up' yet! :)