success! :)

LauraNoraLoo

for anyone that has read my posts before, some people may know that i am one of the unfortunate people to suffer from severe insulin lypohypotrophy around the stomach area. i have a rare form of it so when i say it looks disgusting and im ashamed to get intimate with my boyfriend because of it, i really mean it.

for years me and my mum have been repeatedly asking at clinics about having someone look at it and seeing what can be done and time after time i have been told that it will go down in time and to avoid injecting in the area. i took the advice but years later my stomach was still the same, with bruises from years ago still on it. going back to see my consultant and showing him my stomach didnt work however and he sent me away yet again. he told me that nothing could be done on the NHS as it would be seen as cosmetic surgery and they do not pay out for that now.

Me and my mum decided to go and visit a private surgeon who was brilliant and talked me through what my problem was and what could be done. either liposuction or a tummy tuck kind of procedure. this would obviously cost thousands of pounds however so nothing ever came of it.

enough was enough and about 6 months ago i went to clinic and told my consultant that i wasnt leaving until something was done about it. he seemed suprised and admitted that he knew that this day was going to come at some point. he said that he would refer me to someone in Royal Preston Hospital that would be able to look at my stomach and advice me on what to do next.

i am very proud to say that i recently went to that appointment and the consultant that i visited has said that i can have the procedure (a tummy tuck) performed on the NHS as it is classed as medical aslong as i lose a little weight! I am really really glad that i carried on asking my consultant about the problem and that i finally got them to listen!

i use an insulin pump so that helped my case also.

this time next year I could be the owner of a brilliantly flat new stomach :)

sugar1970

Hi Lauranaraloo so happy for you for being able to have your stomach operation.I have been injecting insulin for over 42 years now.Im in my 50s and my poor stomach has taken a battering from all my injections.I am only slim but my stomach is full of lumps.Ive also had four caeserians which doesn't help.I have asked my doctor for a tummy tuck and he just laughs!!!i am due at clinic in a few months so i am going to ask again.Good luck with your op.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Excellent news Laura, I remember you mentioning the lipohypertrophy and so pleased will have some corrective work carried out! :D

LauraNoraLoo

sugar1970 said:
Hi Lauranaraloo so happy for you for being able to have your stomach operation.I have been injecting insulin for over 42 years now.Im in my 50s and my poor stomach has taken a battering from all my injections.I am only slim but my stomach is full of lumps.Ive also had four caeserians which doesn't help.I have asked my doctor for a tummy tuck and he just laughs!!!i am due at clinic in a few months so i am going to ask again.Good luck with your op.

do keep on at them! i dont know whether I had the young adult card playing with me but whatever it was worked! I was asking every time i went to the clinic and i just got laughed at (same as you) and said that there was nothing that they could do because it would be seen as cosmetic.

Luckily I had family who work in the NHS and seemed to think that I had more of case than the DSN and consultant was letting on so i went to clinic one day with the mind set of not leaving the clinic until I had a definate answer! Everthing points to it being a fault of Diabetes and Insulin taking - i was underweight when i was diagnosed, i never had a stomach, it hasnt gone down any less after not ijecting there for two years, and lumps are still there for ages ago! Finally he gave in and i cant believe how easy it was for him to sort out for me!

good luck!!

jopar

Glad to hear you've managed to get some success and finally getting it sorted!

I've been pretty lucky, as no signs of lypohypotrophy at all phew..

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
BE assertive!
Hana