free prescriptions question

chili

2nd question lol be gentle.

i was always led to belive that diabetics get free prescriptions, however it would seem this is not the case. i am newly diagnosed type 2 and have been told because i am not on any medication yet they are not free :(
i belive this is a way of keeping the costs down ie no medication, sort yourself out via diet, save loads no free prescription.
i am hoping to get the glucose test strips etc off the doc for free if i can talk him into it :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Makes sense. Why should anyone get free prescriptions if not for the condition in question?
Hana

jaykay

When I went to fill my prescription for my testing strips and lancets, the pharmacist told me I was entitled to free prescriptions. I said I didn't think I was-not because of being diet only-but because I hadn't had a blood test and wasn't really certain what was going on. She insisted I was and told me to sign the prescription accordingly. Now I know better, I'll pay for my next one if I'm still diet only!

jane22

You are supposed to show the pharmacist a medical exemption card which you need to apply for if you are on medication for diabetes. You can get the form from docs surgery or the pharmacist and I think if I remember correctly the doc has to sign. Apparently they can do spot checks on people who claim they are exempt. My doc forgot to tell me about it but after I had paid for a couple of prescriptions the pharmacist informed me.

Dippy3103

if you frequently have prescriptions for other items you might save money by buying one of the pre payment certificates.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
I was also told it was only for those on medication, in fact my GP told me about the exemption form and signed it for me when she gave me my first prescription.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
The only perk we get 8)

I have a NHS payment exemption card , Given me as T2 on medication my DSN sorted mine :D

This also covers for all the other non diabetic medication I need to take

for info : http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1126.aspx
and http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/2095.aspx

There are other ways in which a person may get free NHS prescription charges. These include:
because they, or their partner, get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit;

NHS Tax Credit exemption certificates, if they or their partner receive tax credits and satisfy the conditions to receive a certificate;

NHS Maternity exemption certificates, if they are pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months;

the NHS Low Income Scheme, because they have a low income.

If you have to pay, but need lots of prescriptions, you could also save money by purchasing a Prescription Prepayment Certificate

chili

my point about this is that if you are required to test your glucose levels etc then surely these strips and lancet things should be provided....for free :) otherwise how do you know what you are eating is right or not. other than this i am not a pill popper and work full time

anniep

I was impaired glucose toerant and then non medicated diabtetic for some years before starting metformin a few months back.

In all that time of course I had to pay for my prescriptions but at least the cost of the prescription is a lot less that the cost of the strips, probably about a third of the cost.

My problem was that berfore I officially became diabetic, I had a doctor who gave me a presciption for strips quite happily, and I didn't realise how lucky I was. I moved house and the new practise refused to give them to me so I had to pay full price for them. It was only when I was eventully medicated that I was given a prescription for the strips by my current practice nurse, and it was only done reluctantly as 'we don't like you testing.'

Of course in the time I was with my current practice my situation deteriorated until they allowed me to manage my condition my own way. (I was also told in no uncertain terms not to low carb as well as not to test)

If they will give you a rescription for strips that is great as it is a lot more that many of the people on here get. :D

I Now have my strips and low carb and my medication has halved.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
my point about this is that if you are required to test your glucose levels etc then surely these strips and lancet things should be provided.

And that's the point GP ,PCT, NURSE ,ect are now saying you don't need to test :?
existing T2s are getting strips stopped or the amount lowered ?
T1 are also being told not to test as much ?

If you get test strips prescribed Good on Yerrrrrrrr

loads of us don't or did not until medicated and that's still no guarantee you will get them
I was on medication and my old GP would Not give them out to any T2 medication or Not

I tried to fight it with letters to MP PCT PALS all with no effect :evil:
All this did was to stress me out :twisted:

You could get them from Ebay like me and save winding yourself up , then test as much as you like (you will still get told not to test even with your own strips)

Better to get your head around your diabetes 1st
Then at a later date fight for your strips

I only had my strips prescribed when the main practice GP left
recently new nurse was trying to stop my strips ??? :evil:

rpage

Hi
Perverse that you have to pay for lancets and strips when you have been diagnosed as diabetic but get them free if you take medication. That's an incentive to go onto expensive medication rather than try to control it by diet and exercise. Unfortunately, despite diet and regular exercise I have only been able to reduce my blood count down by 50% to 7. I am pleased with that but now I have been told to go on to Metformin. Not that I want to but my NHS charges will now be exempt. Just wish I had been told to ask for the exemption certificate to be completed at the same time as I was told I had to go on medication as it would have saved the effort of having to claim back the first set of prescription charges.

Now I will continue to work to drive down my bloods by diet and exercise and have the added boost of medicine to drive it down further. The more I can get it down the further away future medical complications are pushed out - I hope!

I do feel strongly that strips should be provided so that one can test for say of 6 times per day. Especially as I have paid in to the NHS via my National Insurance contributions since I was 18 and have had no claims until now.

deli di

I have Type 1 or insulin dependant diabetes. I get my prescriptions free, but I think it is because, as indicated in the name, "dependant",I would die if I did not take insulin, whereas type 2's on diet control would certainly feel unwell,
and could cause damage to themselves, but death would not be imminent.

jamesni

Hi
i am type 2 and live in northern ireland.i get free prescriptions for my test strips. i think its madness the some people in differnt parts of the uk have to pay. when i went on medformin i was given a free meter. if i was to buy the strips for it they would cost £25. im sure there is thousands of people like me getting free £25 strips. my point is if we where given a more cheaper meter and cheaper test strips surley we could all have them free in the uk.

Cheers
james

gillianre

I have always had free test strips - the nurse goes mad that I test my blood but pffff how do I know what i'm doing if I don't?

Anyway, my Dr has never argued over the strips and put them on my repeat prescription list.

Funny how something so small is causing such problems depending on where you live.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Anyone who has a low income but who does not get free prescriptions can apply for help with health costs - ask for form HC1 at the GP surgery.

It covers prescriptions, dentists and the opticians. You get free prescriptions and checks, a voucher towards glasses/contact lenses, and something towards dental costs. Every little helps :D .

Even though I am over 60 and therefore get free pescriptions and eye tests, I still have an HC2 (the certificate saying I'm entitled) because pensioners don't get free dental checks!

The HC2 is renewable annually.

Viv 8)

C

chris lowe

If you get a prepaid card (I think it's something like £104 for 12 moths at least it was last time I got one) it works out a lot cheaper even though you have paid upfront. They will also give you a refund if you become reliant on medication and eligible for free prescriptions

debbiem1

oh my Longjohnsilver i am so glad that i did not read your post a year ago as you would have had me crying all over the place. a year on and i can say that even though i do not get any free stuff i am getting better each day with my diet and my levels are good. i have a great medical team that do all the regular test and i do not want any more medication that i take already to clutter up my cupboard. i just hope that what ever has upset you gets sorted it you are not happy with your medical care seek advice about it but for goodness sake don't come onto sites like this and write things just to frighten people.

and a question for you do you have diabetes or are you one of these people that just post nasty things on forums for the fun of it

Admin please delete if this is not acceptable but i was so shocked to read his comments that i had to say something

Defren

debbiem1 said:
oh my Longjohnsilver i am so glad that i did not read your post a year ago as you would have had me crying all over the place. a year on and i can say that even though i do not get any free stuff i am getting better each day with my diet and my levels are good. i have a great medical team that do all the regular test and i do not want any more medication that i take already to clutter up my cupboard. i just hope that what ever has upset you gets sorted it you are not happy with your medical care seek advice about it but for goodness sake don't come onto sites like this and write things just to frighten people.

and a question for you do you have diabetes or are you one of these people that just post nasty things on forums for the fun of it

Admin please delete if this is not acceptable but i was so shocked to read his comments that i had to say something

Admin wont delete for saying the truth, which you have. I read the post and chuckled and chose to ignore it, but believe me, you will see a lot worse than this from time to time. Just laugh and walk on by.

Welcome to the forum by the way!