Can you stop or treat neuropathy?

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi all, i have been a type 1 diabetic for 17 years.
I'm very happy with my recent HBA1C result (52%). But, for 4 months I've been getting pains in my feet. There is some pain nearly all the time but it is more prevalent at work (I stand up all day on a hard tiled surface). I also get pain, swelling and pins and needles in both my hands and feet at night. The D.N. Said this may be carpal tunnel (in my hands due to scissoring at work) but that I may also have preneuropathy in my feet. She advised me that there where some tablets I could go on to help the symptoms but they had some bad side effects so I've decided not to take this option yet.
I'm only 33 and I'm worried sick about loosing my feet! I can put up with the pain for now but I'm wondering if there are any other options. Maybe herbal treatments etc. Also if you would like to share your experiences I'd be interested.
I am physically fit and have regular exercise. I'm a good weight for my height and monitor my carb intake well.
Thanks for your time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Apart from keeping tight bg control and taking the meds to ease the pain and discomfort I don't know of any other options, perhaps some others may suggest something that are experiencing the same condition.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
there is some evidence that REALLY GOOD BG CONTROL [ around 5] can put neuropathy into remission. It's worth a try It's safer done with low carbing than maximising medication.
hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I had neuropathy in my toes on diagnosis, and for the 8-9 months afterwards. Since I hit the VLC (and got my HbA1c under 5%) it has completely disappeared.

Stephen

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My foot neuropathy symptoms have gone since I lowered my bg's from prediabetic to normal.

Topsec

Same as above - hubbys neuropathy disappeared with low carb diet (he had had it for years and we had no idea what it was :oops: ) It does flare up immediately if he has a high carb day!

marleemacd

Sorry this doesn't answer your actual question re stopping or treating neuropathy, but would you be able to get anti-fatigue or ergonomic mats in your workplace? We have a warehouse at work and we provide this matting for staff who stand all day.