Couple of questions - high fasting reading & weight loss

Topsec

Hi,

I'm sure I really already know the answers to these two questions but if anyone could help I would be grateful :)

Hubby is long term T2 recently under control with low carb. He was dropped down to 1 x 500mg SR metformin a day after years of really high readings after we discovered LCHF!! We are currently in USA for 6 weeks (travel often) and he forgot his SR met and was taking some of his older non SR met 1000 mg by mistake, anyway it gave him the runs badly and because he has got it into his head that he will be able to wean himself off met completely soon he stopped taking it. We have noticed his fasting readings are now coming up at 7.7 for the last few days (stopped his tabs last week). Is this likely to be as a result of ceasing his meds? Daytime and evening readings PP are mid to high 6's so no problems there. Is it DP, if so, anything to be done?

I would like him to go back onto his met but I fear he will resist (at least until we get home in a couple of weeks and he can get back on SR)

The other issue is weight loss. We LCHF but he has lost about 22lbs and is now getting uptight about losing any more, he doesn't need to lose more so I see his point but he is panicking that it will keep falling. I said I am sure his weight will stabilise and stay pretty constant when it reaches his 'ideal' weight but he is worrying about continuing to lose. I am pouring double cream on his berries and plenty of butter on his crisp breads and such to try and up the fat but am not sure what else I can do? I tell him to snack on more nuts and cheese but am worried that too many nuts will affect his bg's. His BP has dropped a little but I am wary of too much fat because of other health issues. What can I give him to arrest the weight loss?

Apart from the above he is feeling great after years of problems with his diabetes so overall we are happy!

Thanks guys :D

Defren

I can't help with the Metformin, but perhaps can with the weight loss. I am loosing weight at a rate I thought may harm my health (approx 10 - 12 lbs a week). I read a lot, and asked here. Some one said something to me that made sense. Our fat is stored in layers, and gradually layer upon layer we loose it. However, once there is no 'safe' fat to loose, our bodies makes it incredibly hard to loose any more. I would suggest, while hubs feels well, no fatigue, brain fog, struggling to do his usual routine, he will be fine, as his body is taking away and using any excess fat he has. If he starts to feel ill in any way, then try to get him to up his calories just a little. Meat is a good source of calories, along with the cream etc. I'm sure he will be fine. Give him a good ole USofA mega steak or three :D

Grazer

I agree with Defren, the weight will stabilise. I had the same problem. Weight shot down, and I thought I'd end up like beanpole. It steadied on a BMI of 22. I ate loads of nuts to help it. Nuts shouldn't hurt BGs providing your hubby stays of cashews. Walnuts seem particularly good.
Metformin does help Fasting BGs so coming off them could give him the higher readings. Why does he want to come off them? Apart from potential tummy probs, their is no downside. Doesn't strain the Pancreas, very safe, and good protective against future cardio probs. I'd say stick with them unless he has other problems such as kidney issues.

Topsec

Thanks guys :)

I think he is being a bit of a slave to the scales and I agree his weight will steady at some point. Been making him eat more cheese and nuts this last day or so! Fortunately he isn't keen on cashews so we're OK there, they're my favourite but I'm OK to eat them (this low carb has made me lose weight too but I can sneak in the odd carby thing when I'm with friends so mine will be fine)

He has got this bee in his bonnet about all meds Grazer and seems to think they are doing him no good, only messing up his system :? He has been on various meds for 12+ years and seems to think he can just come off them! Hopefully between me and the doc we will manage to get him back on the SR met once a day when we get back home. Low carbing has been brilliant for him with his neuropathy and he seems to think he is 'cured' - not literally though. We did have a bad day a couple of weeks ago when we moved apartment here and were doing lots of physical stuff so he thought he could eat what he wanted, however after dinner reading was way high and his legs hurt in bed so the glucose was 'attacking' him straight away - made him realise he wasn't cured!!