Long Haul Flight Advice

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

Am flying from Paris to Toronto in a couple of weeks time so wondering what should I look out for?
Don't want to take diabetic meal as heard there c**p lol
So will I just explain to air hostess when entering that I'm diabetic?

Also should/will I reset times on pump when I arrive there?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Richard

I cannot give any advice about the pump but can say that in economy, only those who previously declare get meals which the airline feel are suitable. If a diabetic meal is not requested then you will get one of the standard meals and have to eat from it what you can. In Business and First you may be a little more lucky if you haven't booked a diabetic meal. I generally book a diabetic meal and have found them OK in economy and business.

Have a good trip

Doug

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried checking the airlines website to see what they list in their menus?

I flew to the USA last year and checked the airlines site beforehand and as a type 2 their diabetic meals were no good as they were based around the starchy carb ideas!! :thumbdown:

HTH
Angie

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
If you want a Diabetic meal you'll have to notify the airline before hand (they only load exactly what was ordered). To airlines "Diabetic meal" means "not including sugar". I wouldn't trust anyone elses defintion of a diabetic-friendly meal, unless the executive chef was Whitby Jet.

I usually don't bother with airline food (unless I'm flying in First). At Heathrow I get a Gordon Ramsey Plane Food picnic box, but you could simply pack yourself a diabetic friendly low-carb packed lunch.

It's worth noting that if you order a "special meal" you have a zero probability of an upgrade (because they won't have loaded the meal in the class above).

C

catherinecherub

irishrichard said:
Hi Folks,

Am flying from Paris to Toronto in a couple of weeks time so wondering what should I look out for?
Don't want to take diabetic meal as heard there c**p lol
So will I just explain to air hostess when entering that I'm diabetic?

Also should/will I reset times on pump when I arrive there?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Some good advice here including timings on your pump. It is an American site , some may not be relevant.

http://www.travmed.com/health_guide/ch13.htm

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies folks

Have decided to bring my own food with me, a few sandwiches etc just in case, with some coke etc in case of a hypo!
I've never had troubles with 2 or 3 hr flights so this is my first long haul flight so want everything to go perfect

Reactions: Bunnyluv_

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Enjoy your trip Richard! :)

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Noblehead!

I intend to so making sure I've every area covered lol

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With the timings of your flight and pump rates, try to get your pump onto Toronto time as quickly as you can bearing in mind sleeping hours and eating times. I regularly fly long haul from South Asia to the UK and the trip often takes up to 24 hours so each hour I adjust the pump back by 2 hours. I also use the temp basal rates too so that I don't go hypo. I would rather run my BS high for a few hours than risk a hypo on a plane. Just gauge it as you go along and test regularly. Once you hit Canada and have got to your destination, then you can resolve any high blood suagrs and sort your pump on Toronto time if you haven't already done so. Good luck x

Steveee

I regularly travel long haul. The best advice I can give is set the pump time to match your destination time on departure. Then try to eat/sleep in line with destination.

As travel can be stressful, and stress can increase blood sugar, you may need to increase Basel slightly. Generally I increase it by 20%.

Finally, I find airline diabetic food lousy. Their concept is to provide a low carb meal! I eat the same food as everyone else and treat it as a restaurant meal, I.e. make a best guess.