I tried Haggis today

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
We went out to the new Dobbies garden centre by us, its a bit upmarket and has things we dont see everywhere like Venison and Ostrich, so we had a look around, and I got some Smoked Trout and Salmon mix, some Black Pudding, and a little Haggis, that was reduced.
We got home stuck it in the oven and tried a bit, it was ... Interesting to say the least, tasted like a mix of very greasy stuffing and meatloaf, it was mentioned that it was no more than a fat ball for a bird.
Not sure I will partake again, but at 31 I can now say Ive tried it. But is it in the "ok as a treat" category or not?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy haggis pie from Aldi's at 99p and have it for dinner. Only 99p per pie and 12g carbs!

I live in Scotland so I don't know if Aldis down south will sell it.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
I have heard it can me used like mince, so can understand that. Are there different makes of Haggis? We got a proper Scottish one.
Yes we have Aldis, theres a new one opened up infact.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Tinytoez said:
I have heard it can me used like mince, so can understand that. Are there different makes of Haggis? We got a proper Scottish one.
Yes we have Aldis, theres a new one opened up infact.
Indeed there are different type of Haggis-Mainly each makers recipe will have it's own 'Secret spice blend' that makes it different but the same principle applies.I love Haggis and buy it from various supermarkets and Costco cash 'n' carry.
I guess it's a case of Eat and Test to see if it agrees with you. :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hall's do a nice version which is available in most major supermarkets, I like haggis but don't eat it that often.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
noblehead said:
Hall's do a nice version which is available in most major supermarkets, I like haggis but don't eat it that often.
+1 Hall's is a nice Haggis and Hall's Black pudding ain't bad either. :thumbup:

ricardian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Modern "music"
There is a vegetarian haggis!
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/411428_Macsweens_Vegetarian_Haggis_454g.html
The web page tells you how to cook it too.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Vegetarian haggis is nice :D