Stopping Smoking

oakdaledave

When I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic I was advised to stop smoking right away. After 43 years I will find it hard, but have started a course of 'champix' today and have another 10 sessions with the nurse. Anyone else tried Champix???

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Re: Stoping Smoking

Hi Dave

Not heard of 'Champix' but I'm waiting for approval from the surgery for a drug called 'Zyban' for the same reason as I'm hopelessly hooked on the ciggies too but I know they have to go as I can't take the risk anymore.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

My doctor told me zyban was banned, he obviously knows a lot.

tree-peony

I used an electronic cigarette and it worked for me. I was a 50 a day girl and stopped in 3 days. I used the electontic version for about 4 months, weaning myself down to the zero nicotine liquid, then just stopped. That was 5 years ago :mrgreen:

Grazer

My mate went on champix. He was told he could still have the occasional fag on it during the giving up period. He had no ill effects, but a year later he's still smoking!
I cold turkey'd after 42 years, having smoked from 13 to 55 years old. It was compulsory in the merchant navy! My technique was to tell myself I HADN'T given up, because the thought of never smoking again was too much to bear psychologically. So every morning, I'd tell myself I hadn't given up, and that I'd have a smoke in the evening. That was no worse than not smoking on a plane on a long haul flight - have you noticed that's ok until the plane lands, then you HAVE to get out and smoke! All psychological!
Then, come the evening, I'd say "well, actually, I won't smoke now, but I'll DEFINITELY smoke tomorrow morning. Then, next morning, "Well, I'll wait till tonight then I'll DEFINITELY have a smoke" It seemed that providing I could trick my brain into thinking I would be smoking later, it was OK. Kept this up for over a month until I finally said "I've given up now!"
Since then, 7 years on, I've never ONCE even had a puff.
Still have dreams about smoking though!! But I don't miss it now. Well, most of the time i don't.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Best thing you could do Dave, hope you are successful :thumbup:

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

It is difficult to stop smoking.I have been smoke free for 11 months.I used the inhilator. I used it for a few days and since I have not had one.best of luck:)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I smoked 40 a day for about 35 years was sure I would never be able to give up.

Five years ago I tried hypnotherapy - it cost be £100 but has saved me thousands since (and my health). I did keep a pack in the kitchen after the hypnotherapy and I knew I could go and have one anytime I wanted - but every time I thought about having one it seemed like a bad idea. Now I don't miss it at all and find the smell of cigarettes quite disgusting.

The most important thing my hypnotherapist told me was that it's just a habit not an addiction. Habits are much easier to break.

I also still have dreams about smoking :lol:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Anyone giving up may like to use this site which is used by members on another forum that I frequent. The original poster using it has now saved enough for a decent sized boat and it has been a good visual incentive to stay free of the dreaded nicotine.

http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx

I hope that any members who are trying to give up smoking succeed as it is well worth the effort both for your health and your pocket.

I was a 60 a day addict who gave up 30 years ago so, by now, I would have smoked away a fortune and would probably be having to cope with a lot more than just my Diabetes.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The first week on it you can get away with smoking a bit however after that you can't. It's a popular product and works well.

oakdaledave

tree-peony said:
I used an electronic cigarette and it worked for me. I was a 50 a day girl and stopped in 3 days. I used the electontic version for about 4 months, weaning myself down to the zero nicotine liquid, then just stopped. That was 5 years ago :mrgreen:

Lol ur just a show off hehehe. xx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

I've given up smoking twice, use to roll my own. The first time about 10 years ago I just woke up one Saturday morning and just mentally decided that was it, didn't want to smoke any more and by some miracle it worked for the next 6 years then I started again.

The second time I gave up was the week of New Years 2011. I had already decided to give up and had booked an appointment with the anti smoking nurse as I wanted to try Zyban and they won't prescribe it until you've seen the nurse. Anyway the appointment wasn't until the second week of Jan but on New Years Day I decided again enough was enough and I'd just quit. To be honest, and I don't recommend this method, I spent 3 days on the settee in an alcohol induced daze until the cravings passed. When I went to see the nurse the next week she was not at all happy and because blowing into her meter thing proved I'd given up I ended up giving her permission to falsify a meter reading on her records so she could mark me down as a success!

Feebiecat

I stopped smoking 4 years ago after 13 years. I just went cold turkey and was absolutely fine. I think this was because I just knew i wanted to stop. (I had previously tried and failed about 3 times). I didn't find it hard at all and i don't think all these adverts on the tv and such advertising nicotine products etc are necessary and they brainwash people into believing that it is hard when it is not - if you listen to the language they use it is very negative and so people believe they have to have pretendy nicotine to stop when really that is what keeps you addicted.
I would recommend reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I bought this from Amazon for about 6 quid and found i could relate to everything he said. This sort of proved to me that i was ready. I tell everyone I know who smokes and faffs around trying to stop to read it but no-one ever has!

Good luck!
Feebie
x

C

chris lowe

Good luck to anyone trying to give up. I gave up using patches, during a very hot and humid summer and the only place I could get a patch to stay on was by sticking it on a boob covering it with my bra (prob too much info I know) After about a week I popped the patch on in the morning and then realised when getting ready for bed it had disappeared - I don't know where or when. I realise then that the patches were more of a psychological prop and didn't bother with them again. Luckily I've managed to stay smoke free since but even after more years than I like to remember I still feel that old urge for a puff especially after a good meal. I think now that the smoking ban does it for me - I can't think of anything worse than standing outside a pub or restaurant in the rain/snow/wind/hail/frost and everything else the British weather throws at us.

Don't give up giving up!

Mileana

Hi,

I stopped smoking with help from Champix, however, as soon as I was over the initial physical withdrawal time of 3-4 days, I stopped using them again. My philosophy here was that the sooner I exposed myself to smoking triggers as 'myself', the sooner I would learn to cope.

I am not a great fan of meds, but I had tried everything else. I used them maybe 14-20 days total and they did help in that after a couple weeks, I stopped on the date I had decided and compared to anything else I had tried, it was 'not so bad'. I stopped from 30 ish a day, so pack-n-a-half, for maybe 10-15 years.

I have had a small relapse and that was tough to get over - so I would recommend decide to never smoke again once you're off. Some people can, most people cannot, and you could find yourself instantly addicted again like I was.

I have been quit now for 8 weeks minus the hiccup.

Write down now any problems you have from smoking, honestly, note down any improvements you see during the first week or two - like more energy, better breath, less smelly clothes and all those things - you may need to remember them.

There are some resources online, like a downloadable quit counter and the whyquit webpage - both have been helpful reinforcers.

The meds - they do help. I had some minor side effects along the lines of what it said in the list - nausea, mainly, but nothing I could not cope with.

Nothing does it alone, of course, so find your best reason to quit, all the help you can find, and focus on this as the main goal for a while and then you will be fine.

-M

paul_melb

I've quit twice. Once cold turkey, stopped for 15 years. Second time using e-cig same as tree-peony with a gradual reduction. Now I sometimes 'vape' (sp?), using a non-nicotine version. ...I think it's harmlessui Good luck with it.

david200110

I smoked for over 40 years, having unsuccessfully tried all stop smoking things, and gave up completely in January thanks to electronic cigarettes.

I would highly recommend them to anyone trying to quit.

david

simply_h

Hi all.

Hummmm Smoking, I should not say it I guess, BUT I will always miss it and everytime I have given up, once even for 2 years, I always long for a cig at certain times, like hot weather, beer garden, nice ice cold pint (now a vodka in diet coke)... A cig would just complete it....

But on the giving up train... I have have been smoke free for 5 weeks now, I am using 24 hour patches and nagging from the other half. I hope this time is the last time, but I seem to say that everytime I try and give up, but we can hope.

Good luck to every1 that is currently trying to give UP and to them who arn't, come on its time to give it another go :D

Take care,

Simply_h