the sun???

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi all,
I'm lucky enough to be going on holiday in a few weeks to the SUN!! :clap: well not exactly but as the weathers been so miserable lately here it sure feels like it! any way this will be my first time taking my pump to a hot destination and am a wee bit worried how the change in climate will affect things. I've been on holiday before and even had a wee misshap where i left my pen almost in direct sunlight forgetting that it would affect the insulins potency ( that was fun!) My question really is how to keep the whole thing tubing etc out of the sun and cool enough? Any and all responses/ advice will be gratefully recieved! Thanx :wave: xx

Cheryl

You could purchase a Frio case, you soak the inner case in water & gel crystals expand, put it in the outer case & the evaporation keeps the pump at a reasonable temperature. They're ok, but the one I have has to be looped onto a belt, so is not the most practical item. I have only used it when sunbathing to put the pump in & then hide the whole thing out of direct sun under the sunbed.
I haven't had a problem with insulin breaking down in the heat so quickly that the stuff in the tubing doesn't work.
Other than that, I spent a few weeks in Brazil last year (no sunbathing, but hot) & didn't do anything differently to normal. My insulin supplies weren't refrigerated for the whole holiday & no problems ensued.
Personally, I don't concern myself too much, I just test a little more frequently as the food I'm eating will be different, I can't weigh all my carbs & the heat burns energy faster. You may want to consider programming a different basal profile, slightly below normal to cope with the effects of the heat.
Most of all, have a good holiday & remember that less than ideal control for a week or two won't do you any long term harm.

mindii

Dislikes
the rain and the cold!
Thanks Cheryl, was looking at getting a frio case but the dsn at hosp said that they can chill the insulin a little too much so i think i'll just go and see?! I'll just make sure i have LOADS of tests strips etc with me! Hhaha the airport staff must love it when we go through!!
Brazil sounds awesome!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Just to let you know I contacted medtronic today, the makers of my pump, and they have come back saying they do not recommend using the frio pump cases with their minimed pumps as moisture can leak through and damage the pump. It surprised me but at least they've given me a straight answer. They advise to try and keep the pump put of full sun as much as possible and to consider changing insulin every second day. They also said that many people use these pumps in hot countries without any cooling cover without a problem. Glad I asked as I guess my insurance would have questione it had I have used the frio around it and something went wrong.

mindii

Dislikes
the rain and the cold!
HI Riri,
Can U imagine the questions? i suppose that makes sense and was thinking along the same lines as changing the wole thing a little more often. Where are you going? Is it soon? Thanks for letting me know what Medtronic advise! Can I ask who u use for insurance? as I find that the premiums are going up sooooooooooo much every year?!!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hia Mindii - we go to a little island in greece on Wednesday :D I plumped for insurance4pumps as they are dedicated pump insurers and come recommended on a few diabetic websites including this one. £6.99 per month which I'm told is expensive but it's given me peace of mind at least. I may shop around and ask house insurers next time but I was late in getting insurance (already had pump for 6 months !) and they covered loan pumps too. All the best.

mindii

Dislikes
the rain and the cold!
Hi, Have an amazing time in Greece, I'm off to Crete in 2 weeks! I got my pump insured on ma home insurance for no extra per month! so it may be worth while to check out your home insurance provider (mine is tesco and they were great about it!) i've only had my pump for 3 months but CANNOt believe the difference already! almost forgetting how bad i felt on the old regime! I work in beauty and my clients are even commenting on much better and like my "old self" i seem and look ( not too sure about this compliment no one wants to look "old" eh? :lol: . but seen a photo taken at christmas just there and o my word yes indeed there is a huge difference! Any way have a ball in Greece. xxxx

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
His Mindii - posting this message from Symi in Greece. Well first time abroad in hot climate with my pump. To my astonishment I've needed to be on a temp basal of 140% all day only reverting to normal basal from 8pm to 10am. This is the complete opposite to injections and heat when I needed less insulin :roll:
I panicked a bit on day 1 thinking it wasnt working right and I even did a cannula change on day 2 (instead of normal 3) in case insulin in pump was getting affected by heat. But it just appears that I need more background insulin and this has brought my BS down from 13/14 to 8. I guess I'll always be learning with diabetes!!
Greece beautiful as ever and people still very cheery and friendly with everything going on in their country. Enjoy Crete
x

mindii

Dislikes
the rain and the cold!
Hey Riri,
Glad to hear your having a great time in Greece!!! hmmm gotta get reading up on temp basal rates!!! always good to know!!
I'll try my hardest to enjoy Crete! :lol: Pm when you get back to compare notes??? x

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Will pm at the weekend :) on way home now after a super week.