sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi Everyone,

I have not been on here for quite some time. but i need some advice.

I went for my annual eye screening test a couple of weeks ago i told the woman who was taking the screening that a couple of weeks previous i went blind in my right eye for a few mins... Scared me to death it did, when she took the pictures of my eyes i could hear her umming and ahhhing as they do. When the test was finished she told me all was ok and someone else would look more indepth at my pictures.. Today i have received a letter saying that there are changes im my eyes and that it looks like im in early stages of retinopathy but not serious enough for treatment and i will be called back in 12 mths time for my next eye screen and if any probs to either go see my doctor or optician. What im asking has anyone else had this happen to them and what did they do ..

Thanks Sandra .....

Carolineliz

Hi Sandra,

I got exactly the same results as you, I went for my first screening after being diagnosed in September and the optician said my eye looked healthy but the hospital wrote to say there signs of damage but not enough to do anything about it. I have not had any problems with my eyesight though but it really scared me! I wish they would explain the results a bit better.

Caroline x

MaryJ

Hi Sandra

I had exactly the same , optician said fine letter said early signs of diabetic changes, repeat in 12 months, reduce BG and BP. The end result is no different to what the optician said so not concerned.

I did question on here at the time if we've been sent a 'standard' letter and they don't want to say 'hey - your eyes look good' - in case we go off the rails. Think I will take the letter in to the optician and see what she says.

Re the blindness for a second did the optician comment on that?

Mary x

gillianre

I was exactly the same, told that as I was newly diagnosed the damage should revert with lower BS etc etc.... I was terrified when I got the letter thinking I was going to go blind, came on here and felt better right away!

FractalFragger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this is my major concern as im already severely short sighted and it is getting progressively worse. MY career is IT so if i cant see then thats my career over with.

Im waiting on my referral fo my first eye screening but do i tell my current optician that i have been diagnosed with diabetes?

MArk

MaryJ

Yes, you need to tell them - if there are any changes they would tell you anyway - that's how some people are diagnosed.

My own optician was on the list of the screening people - some people go to a hospital or clinic, it's different all over the place.

Also, many people see changes in their eyesight (for the better) when they start bringing their BG levels down.

mary x

FractalFragger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for that info Mary, really useful

i have been wearing corrective eye wear for 20 years now and that was a major concern for me.

i will get on the blower to my optician today then

MaryJ

if you do a search you will see people who have gone back to prescriptions they wore years ago.

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi evryone,

Thanks for th replies i forgot to add that it wasnt my 1st eye screen, this was my second screening, i do wear glasses for reading and distance im due a test soon and will take my letter in with me when i see the optician...

Once again thanks all..

Oh and 1 other thing my bp is fine and just below the guide lines also i have been on metphormin for just over a year and have lost a stone in weight, Diabetic Nurse is well pleased and i dont have to have any more blood tests for 6 mths...

Thanks

Sandra ....

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had the same thing a year ago. Had no problems and then suddenly told I had background diabetic retinopathy by the hospital. Frightened me to death. Its just a standard letter with a leaflet and when I went for my recent check up this year it was the same standard letter. There is no indication as to whether it has got better or worse or stayed stable.

When I was diagnosed with the retinopathy last year I went to my optician for a routine eye test and I told her what had happened. She did a separate eye test - it was £10, but it was effectively the same eye test the hospital had done. She showed me the results and explained what it all meant. She then showed me other peoples eye tests but covered their personal details so not breaching any privacy stuff. This was very reassuring as I could see mine was a lot better in comparison. She said they save the results on the computer and she suggested I went annually to her for this test as well, inbetween my hospital ones, and she could compare the results on screen with me at the time. So at least I can have it all explained and have more detail of the results. very helpful and very reassuring.

I was also told at the hospital that a sudden drop in sugar levels can trigger background diabetic retinopathy (flaming typical) but that it can improve over the years if sugar levels are kept under control.....

:)

Unbeliever

I was also told at the hospital that a sudden drop in sugar levels can trigger background diabetic retinopathy (flaming typical) but that it can improve over the years if sugar levels are kept under control.....

:)[/quote]
Yes indeed it can cause retinopathy, That is exactly what happened to me - the hospital will tell you this - it is taken for granted , but no one else will and some refuse to believe it because it is an unconmfortable fact to accept
Many have reversed their retinopathy but there is an element of luck. I consider myself lucky because in spite of eveyrthing
I can still see although it impacts on my daily life and i have lost a certain amount of independence.
Most people seem to respond well to treatment and i can see i am in the minority in that treatment is only successsful for a short ime wih me..
Most dibetics will have some background reinopathy or "changes" but this certanly isnt he end of the world and most are treated successully.

I