too much novarapid insulin

bozy55

HI
I have just taken too much novarapid insulin my normal dose at tea time is 16 units and then i take later at night 36 units of levameer but tonight i took 36 units of nova rapid and am wondering if this will harm me or do i just ride it out ?

slimtony

Hi bozy55,

If you are from the UK, I'd recommend that you call NHS direct (0845 4647) and they'll advise you about what to do or else send an ambulance.

leggott

I would also eat some fast acting carbs like dextrose tabs / jelly babies or juice / full fat cola / lucozade as you have taken over double you normal dose and will need extra quick acting carbs as your bg will fall quickly.

bozy55

just done a reading and it was 5.5 so would you take some luczade now ? will it go any lower ? cant believe i did this !!!
thanks for replies

leggott

if you work on the basis that you have taken more than double the amount of insulin, you will need a little over double the amount of carbs that you would normally eat. Drink some now and check again in 15 mins and then every 15 mins for the next 2/3 hours which is the time the insulin will be working. I would still call NHS to make sure you get the best advice. make sure someone is with you, call a friend to come over if no one else in the house.

bozy55

hi
ok have phoned the nhs and a doctor is going to phone me bac , ill have some lucazade now once again thanks for the help

Daveoj71

Hope
You're ok, I've just done exactly the same
Thing this evening, stupid as it is, this is now the 2nd time I've done this in 6 years, plyed myself full
Of lucozade tabs, pure orange juice and bananas now, 2 hours into my stupidity and managed to stabilise at 7.5, I've learnt to get the sugar into your system as fast as possible, test every 10/15 minutes, and as hard as it is don't panic, if anyone else does something as stupid as this, remember to tell
Someone what you've done, and I also take notes of what I've done wrong and what I've eaten to try to counter act it, that way then the hospital if needed have an idea of where to start. Good luck

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is all too easy to do, given that both short and long acting insulins are clear these days and the pens may well be exactly the same with the same manufacturer of insulin.
It was, perhaps, easier in the days when mixing a clear and a cloudy as it was easy to see which was the cloudy!