What do we think of Kindles?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Now Im getting a bit concerned. I replied to an ad for a second hand Kindle on Gumtree, they guy sent me a payment request through Paypal, but my account was playing up, so my sister in law paid using hers and I gave her the money, I sent a message to the seller telling him it would be through another email address, and just as it was paid he cancelled the request to my Paypal for payment, in the previous message I got he told me it would be sent on Saturday - 5 days ago, but I have heard nothing since, Ive even sent a message asking him to confirm hes sent it. I think Ive been diddled and its all my fault, just because I didnt want to pay full price. I may be jumping the guy, as he may not have posted it until Monday, but in that case surely he would have let me know, I know I would have if I was selling it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hope it arrives okay, TinyToez - most people are honest, I've found.

I'd LOVE a Kindle! My brother offered to buy me one, but I refused it, thinking I'd never be able to afford to replace all my books. I like whole runs of authors, eg PD James, Terry Pratchett, Asimov, Heinlein and so on; also I still have all my favourite children's books :crazy: . What with that, modern stuff and "work" books I have more than 2000 on the shelves, despite thinning them out every time I move house.

However, on reading through this thread I realise how much I'm missing out on - thanks, guys! Maybe I'll take him up on his offer after all. He can get WiFi on his when he's at my house, so should I get him to get me a similar one? I only want it for reeading, nothing fancy. I assume without WiFi you download via a USB lead?

What fun I can have! Diabetes forum all morning, and downloading books all afternoon! :D Get a life, Viv! :crazy:

Viv 8)

PS and all that shelf-space for my glass collection :D

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
Hope it arrives okay, TinyToez - most people are honest, I've found.

I'd LOVE a Kindle! My brother offered to buy me one, but I refused it, thinking I'd never be able to afford to replace all my books. I like whole runs of authors, eg PD James, Terry Pratchett, Asimov, Heinlein and so on; also I still have all my favourite children's books :crazy: . What with that, modern stuff and "work" books I have more than 2000 on the shelves, despite thinning them out every time I move house.

However, on reading through this thread I realise how much I'm missing out on - thanks, guys! Maybe I'll take him up on his offer after all. He can get WiFi on his when he's at my house, so should I get him to get me a similar one? I only want it for reeading, nothing fancy. I assume without WiFi you download via a USB lead?

What fun I can have! Diabetes forum all morning, and downloading books all afternoon! :D Get a life, Viv! :crazy:

Viv 8)

PS and all that shelf-space for my glass collection :D

Get rid of your books!!!!!!!!!!! ........ No way!!!!!!!!!
ebc8660fb82e1dc3fd6b5dff18114b04.gif
No one told me I had to do that when I got my kindle. Well I am keeping quiet on that one 'cause no way will I thin out my home library. If my husband finds out that titbit then I shall know one of you ratted on me.
girl_mad.gif

I must have upwards of 2000 books as well and they are my darlings, every last one of them, my early Enid Blytons, the first book I ever bought which is a a moth eaten copy of the Jungle Book, through my teenage years of Science Fiction, my text books, reference books and all my old friends that I may never read again but tell myself I may do one day.

I even put wider shelves up so that I can stack my books 3 deep in some places.
girl_blush.gif

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Its still not here, Im never buying privately again, should have got a full price one at least it would have been here by now.

Rhinne

I love my books and always enjoy a good read, but sometimes the books I read are very big and heavy, which was always inconvenient to carry - especially with the various diabetes related things I have to carry around with me every day.

I bought an iPad when they were first released (original model) and often used that for reading while on the bus to work and home, but this could get heavy in the hand after a while and was irritating if light was shining on the screen.

The family and I were in New York for Christmas last year and I had been given some birthday and christmas money from relatives in dollars to spend while I was there, so I treated myself to a Kindle Touch (which has only just been released here in the UK at the end of April) and my other half got one as well, and we love them.

I've now got so many books on there that I'm spoilt for choice which one to read next, but this is probably the only disadvantage that I can think of with a Kindle - apart from having to pay VAT on your books, that is.
I highly recommend them.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Its now 7 days since my Kindle was supposedly posted, it hasnt arrived and the guys email address now doesnt work. Be careful people when buying anything on a one to one online, always use paypal so you have some safety. Im really annoyed with myself over this whole issue.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I am a very lucky girl. My partner brought me a brand new £89 Kindle without telling me today, as mine still hasnt arrived.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tinytoez said:
I am a very lucky girl. My partner brought me a brand new £89 Kindle without telling me today, as mine still hasnt arrived.

That's a partner in a million you have there Tinytoez. Now your first one is guaranteed to turn up. :D

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
That's wonderful. You'll love your Kindle :D

Tinytoez

Dislikes
catza said:
Tinytoez said:

That's a partner in a million you have there Tinytoez. Now your first one is guaranteed to turn up. :D

I dont deserve him, and he knows it. I hope it does, but Ive still not heard from the guy. Its annoying at the mo coz it has got loads of foreign languages dictionaries I cant shift. I took him out for dinner as a thankyou (yes I know, bad Tammy)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
If it doesn't turn up, Tammy, report it to the police with all the details you got from the seller in the first place. I know some police authorities are making a special effort on this type of crime.

Viv 8)

MalcolmB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi...

Kindles are brilliant! I've got the one with the keyboard that links with wi-fi and 3G. I've also got the Kindle App on my PC, laptop and Android phone. They all sync together so you can start reading a book on your Kindle and continue where you left off on your PC or phone. There is also a web browser provided although it a bit limited but OK for occasional use. With any luck they'll update it a some point although there's the problem of the monochrome display. There's a PC app called Calibre which helps you organise your books. Battery life is amazing if you switch off wireless when you don't need it. All in all I wouldn't be without mine.

Hope this helps

KRs

Malcolm

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Gumtree have advised me to go to the Police about the Kindle, but before I do I have to see what Paypal are going to say - and Im still waiting.

C

chris lowe

I have got a problem with my Kindle. Before I had one, there was always a pile of about 3 or 4 books on the floor by my bed. Now that they have gone I can't reach the top of the picture over my bedside table as I used to stand on the books to reach :lol:

TheShedle

I couldn't live without my Kindle now, it has all my Open University texts on it so I can study wherever I am, even in bed on my bad days, without having to struggle with a load of over sized books.
Since we mostly read the same genre, my Kindle and my husband's are linked to the one Amazon account, that means any books one of us buys can be put on either Kindle, or both, and we don't have to pay twice for the same book. He works away so has the 3G version so he can buy a new book when he's parked in a layby overnight but I just have the wireless version since I'm at home a lot more.

Oh and you CAN read in the bath, just get one of the fantastic waterproof covers from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Generation-Display/dp/B003ZRG3NS

BlindFaith

I love reading, I love books and I love the feel of a book in my hands.
I never thought I'd ever own anything electronic that I could read on.

Until my lovely hubby got me the new iPad. I am truly converted. I have found LOADS of the older Doctor Who Virgin New Adventures books that are out of print that are on there and I've adding in loads of authors that I thought I might enjoy.
Plus I have my comics and graphic novels on there...I love it!

I also love playing games on it:
Angry Birds (I hate how addictive it is), Cut the Rope, Plants vs Zombies, etc...

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Hubby took me to get a kobo 2 weeks ago and I so love it. I have not been sleeping to good since finding out I was diabetic. I have downloded a load of free books and some cheap ones and when everyone is asleep I just lie there and read :)