Metformin

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Oh the never ending saga of metformin,

This should be a really quick and easy one though. I know the apparent side effects, nausea and the rest of the business, but i ahev been on them since Thursday and has anyone else found that they are just "under the weather" yes the nausua and stuff has eased a bit now so thats not it, but i have almost a daily headache, aching constantly, and i just feel rough and totally exhausted constantly. (kinda like beforei was diagnosed)

I know it sounds a bit flu/cold like but it honestly comes and goes and the only change i have made is the Metformin, my levels are still ok, in fact they are getting pretty good. the highest i ever go now is maybe 8? been getting rather bad pains down one side too and my stomach, jsut wondering if it might have something to do with them or if i'm just getting poorly again.

just curious really.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking Metformin for the last 7 years and although they are the Slow Release I still have lots of problems with taking them! Two tablets are fine, anymore and I get an upset tummy, feel queasey, horrible taste in my mouth, I do get headaches, feeling rotten most of the time and although I am supposed to take 4 tablets a dat, I tend to either take 2, 3 or 4 depending on how I am feeling. My GP is aware that I am doing this at the moment, its no fun planning your day around where the nearest toilet is! I would love to come off the four tablets and just continue with the two tablets but not sure what they could suggest instead!

DiabeticGeek

fiona35 said:
I would love to come off the four tablets and just continue with the two tablets but not sure what they could suggest instead!
Have you tried following a fairly severe low carb diet - something like the Bernstein system? Although it isn't always possible (everyone is different), many T2 diabetics find that this sort of approach lets them cut down their medication substantially - some even manage to come off it completely. If you haven't given it a go it is worth considering. Following a low carb diet - even quite an extreme one - isn't that hard once you get used to it, and it is certainly better than the sort of permanent gut-rot that you describe. This won't work for everyone (it depends what state your pancreas is in), but surely it is worth a try.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
so it is the tablets. well thats ok. at least i know!

I'm concerned, if this is the tablets, in all honestly i feel no better off than i was before i was diagnosed. i feel exactly the same as when i was running my levels of 20+ hm, is it worth this?

Don't fear i'm not giving up. i'll give it another few weeks, next thurs i am surrposed to go up to 2 tabs, let me see how they go. in all honestly i can't really go on like this, it is effecting my job and my personal life. hm.

thank you so much for yet some more very useful advice!!!! don't know where i would be without you!

wanderslore

I have to agree with Fiona, I have been taking Metformin for 2 years now and on and off still have upset stomachs, a very small appetite and migraine type headaces.

Every now and then I leave it off for a couple of days especially if I am going out for a special meal

Also like Fiona, I can tolerate up to 2 but after that all these nasties kick in

I console myself with the fact I suppose its better than going blind or being one legged !

Hang in there Manxangel and you are not alone