LCHF diet.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Morning/Evening

I have been trying this LCHF diet for a week (have gone off the dietdoctor site) - have reduced my carbs down to around 50 (maybe a bit less), increased good fats (butter, olive oil), had no bread, rice, potato, pasta, no processed meat and i excersise most days, and i have put on 1.5 kilo's!! am not happy at all. My question is am i doing something wrong? or does this sort of diet take time to work? should i keep at it for another week or so? any thoughts or opinions please.....

Defren

Give it time. If you are as low as 50g of carbs a day, it will come off. Give it a bit more time, and firstly you will loose all your water weight, then likely to go into ketosis, as long as you do stay low carb. Once in ketosis, weight loss is just about guaranteed.

Good luck...

Defren

Angela(NZ) said:
But what about if i have lost a lot of weight already? will this "diet" still work??

I don't see it as a diet, I see it as a lifestyle change. People on the forum who stick to a LCHF fat diet keep loosing weight. There is one member who has had to up his calories as he reached his target weight, and was still loosing. He has now found a LC way of eating where he can keep tight BG and maintain his weight. A low carb diet, just by it's very nature helps you loose weight. I for one have no idea of the mechanics, apart from knowing that once you are into ketosis, your body no longer burns ingested food for fuel as it would eating carbs, but instead burns our excess fat, which is a much more efficient way for the body to function. Obviously it is the most efficient way to also loose weight.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Thanks for replying - im going to keep at it, im enjoying all the food and hopefully the weight will drop off...

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Defren said:
Give it time. If you are as low as 50g of carbs a day, it will come off. Give it a bit more time, and firstly you will loose all your water weight, then likely to go into ketosis, as long as you do stay low carb. Once in ketosis, weight loss is just about guaranteed.

Good luck...
Actually, I'm a case for the flip side of this argument...

Before I continue, I'd like to differentiate between weight loss and fat loss.
I engage in very high intensity exercise, and recognise that I'm building muscle.
Having said that, if muscle was the cause of my weight, I'd look like Lou Ferrigno in his prime! :lol:
I'm quite happy to stay the same 'weight' as long as I can lose the subcutaneous and visceral fat.

Despite being LCHF for what seems like ages again now, my only weight loss (I'm back up to 267lbs) comes if I maintain a calorie deficit. I have to stay less than 1680 calories to have a hope of losing a pound or two a week if I'm lucky.
At this point, everyone normally starts squawking about me having lost a jeans size.
Yes, that happens every time I embark on a fat loss program but it plateaus and stalls for good shortly after that, despite me 'giving it time'.
Cut my calories more? Sure - as long as my boss doesn't mind me falling asleep at my desk several times during the day.
Increase my exercise? Sure - as long as my boss doesn't mind me falling asleep at my desk several times during the day.

In spite of this, I still feel tons better when maintaining LCHF. I don't get bloated, upset stomachs or fall asleep quite so often during the day. I love the foods available and I'm not hungry between meals. Oh, and my BG stays nice and low of course!
For this reason alone LCHF is a lifestyle choice for me.

It wasn't my intention to hijack this thread, so sorry if it came across that way.
The first time I tried LCHF (Atkins, actually), the fat fell off me and I so wish I'd stuck to it as I seem to be one of those people for whom LCHF is a one-shot deal. I'm sure it will work for you if this is the first time you're trying it. But please, make it a permanent part of you and don't waste the opportunity just in case!

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Thanks for your comment - i have been reading up on this Paleo way of eating, can you please tell me what you eat?

Ive been loosing weight for over a year and i think my body is resisting, im weighing about 83 kgs now, just want to loose 3 kgs and then maintain it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just point out that is is almost impossible to have eaten enough to have put on 1.5kg of fat in 1 week? Unless you are eating an extra 2000 cals a day for the past 7 days, that is.

I doubt if it is your diet that has done this.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Angela(NZ) said:
Thanks for your comment - i have been reading up on this Paleo way of eating, can you please tell me what you eat?

Ive been loosing weight for over a year and i think my body is resisting, im weighing about 83 kgs now, just want to loose 3 kgs and then maintain it.

The last little bit always comes off extremely slowly, Angela, particularly as you near your ideal weight. I'm nowhere near that yet, but I seem to lose weight in stages, with long pauses in between. I think my body needs to re-programme itself. The only difficulty there is not letting the odd carb too many creep in! :oops:

Why not try the Atkins Induction Phase for just 2 weeks, as it was meant to be? See Viv's Modified Atkins Diet, without the crispbread/oatcakes/cereal I added in for my brother? (It's pretty Palaeo, too). It might just kick-start you again. :D

Viv 8)

Sorry, I spell 'palaeolithic' the old-fashioned, English way :oops: :lol:

HJacobsen

Hi,

I've been following the LCHF diet as well, and I can only say that it's really amazing. I've lost more than 50 pounds using this diet. It was really difficult for me to find out which foods, that I needed to eat on this diet, and therefore I tried looking through the App Store to find an app for my iPhone.

I've found this app called Diet Signal, which is really great, in an intuitive way it should red, yellow and green lights to each of the foods if you select LCHF in the app. It can be found here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/diet-si ... ?ls=1&mt=8.

Best of luck on your adventure. I have an aunt, how is completely off here diabetes medicine using this diet, which is fantastic.

I highly recommend it.