Snacking

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is one thing i may struggle with. I like to snack, I know pork scratching are ok to eat, 0.3g of carbs and no grams of sugars. Can I eat these at anytime I feel I need something? What else can I eat as a quick fix/snack at anytime?

Thanks

Scot

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My standby snacks are a small handful of walnuts, raw sticks of carrots or celery with some mayonnaise to dip into, a chunk of strong cheese, Oh, and I usually have a bowl of sugar free jelly in the back of the fridge for when my snacking urge demands something sweet. :)

SweetHeart

Pepperamis are good - although watch the fat, they're low carb but high fat. Slices of ham (not breaded). A few berries and greek yoghurt are good for sweet things cravings. There are lots of snacky ideas in the low carb recipes section, even if you aren't a low-carber you know that they are all excellent for diabetics because they've all been tried and tested.

Ju

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
borofergie said:
Avacados.
You could become pals with Anthony Worrall Thompson as he has an Avacado farm in Spain although I believe his Diabetic cookery book leaves a lot to be desired to say the least!!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Paul1976 said:
You could become pals with Anthony Worrall Thompson as he has an Avacado farm in Spain although I believe his Diabetic cookery book leaves a lot to be desired to say the least!!

:D

I thought about stealing them, but Tescos have 50 extra clubcard points on Avacados at the moment.

I'm thinking that Tescos probably don't buy Avacados from AWT (anymore)!

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Paul1976 said:
borofergie said:
Avacados.

Talking of AWT, I saw I think it was a BBQ sauce with is name on it, the first ingredient....SUGAR :shock:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Avocado!! Ooo can't you tell I was a teacher. And a stickler for spilling :thumbdown:

Artichoke

My mother bought me AWT's book, he's not a low carb fan obviously as there were about two recipes I could do !

My snacks..Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate (14g carbs the whole 100g bar) which I usually eat two squares at a time slathered in organic unsalted peanut butter. As a low carber I don't worry about fat or calories but after finding out from Tesco that even their pork loin chops have additives (dried glucose syrup, sodium acetate, 11% added water) I've gone all additive and preservative free so wouldn't touch Peperami now.

Prosciutto di Parma (1.99 Lidl, £3 ASDA) is additive free so I like to nibble on that plus I really like nuts and seeds of all kinds. essentialWaitrose houmous is the least carby of any I spotted on ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose websites. I'm okay with raw carrot sticks so I subbed these for pitta or grissini.

I used to have a couple of scoops of Kelly's of Cornwall clotted cream ice cream IIRC 11g or 12g carbs and Wall's Classics Cornish vanilla is the same. Great with Rodda's clotted cream, extra thick double cream and whichever berries you're OK with.

ASDA Chosen By You Omega 3 fish fingers 900g are only 3.8g carbs per finger if you like to do a Nigella Lawson style snack with low carb bread/rolls and mayo.