PM's

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you find that your PM message folder is full do one of two things.Empty the folder or make new folder.Go to Rule, folders,and settings at the left hand side of page and make new folder.Once you have done either of these things go back to your on hold message.Above the message it says" release message" click on this and your on hold message will appear.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
No moderator has the ability to see Pm's LJ.I do not know if Admin has or not.
If ,however you receive a PM that you are uncomfortable with ,and I have had a few,please forward it to me and the member will be dealt with.We do have a 'pest' who keeps registering and then sending PM's to female members.So far I have banned him twice!!

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
No moderator has the ability to see Pm's LJ.I do not know if Admin has or not.
If ,however you receive a PM that you are uncomfortable with ,and I have had a few,please forward it to me and the member will be dealt with.We do have a 'pest' who keeps registering and then sending PM's to female members.So far I have banned him twice!!

Strange, an old friend (who I have known for many years from other places) PM'd me and it was cancelled.

The only reason she can think is she was pointing me to a post in another forum.

IF that is indeed why it was cancelled, how incredibly petty!

LadyJ

Trink - I have just heard the same complaint (probably from the same person - TL?), hence my question to Sue!

LadyJ

P.s. I think that if admin or mods are going in and reading people's personl PMs you need to make this clear to users. Frankly, calling a message "private" but then reading and pulling as you see fit is not on!

NOt to mention Data Privacy and potential criminal sanctions relating to misuse of computers...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
No,I can assure you this is not happening!No Mod can read other's PM's and surely I should know!! I have had several PM's that were mysteriously cancelled I think therefore there must be a glitch in the system.If I were you I would contact Admin about this as obviously it is not just me that this is happening too!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I have just send a PM to admin about this problem and hope he will get back to us on it.

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
No,I can assure you this is not happening!No Mod can read other's PM's and surely I should know!! I have had several PM's that were mysteriously cancelled I think therefore there must be a glitch in the system.If I were you I would contact Admin about this as obviously it is not just me that this is happening too!!

I had a second though, that maybe there's a bot which cancels PMs containing URLs in case they're spam

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
LadyJ said:
P.s. I think that if admin or mods are going in and reading people's personl PMs you need to make this clear to users. Frankly, calling a message "private" but then reading and pulling as you see fit is not on!

NOt to mention Data Privacy and potential criminal sanctions relating to misuse of computers...

I find it incredibly sad and ,in fact,feel quite insulted that ,after posting that we could not look at PM's you still think that we are ,in fact,reading Pm's.My integrity means a lot to me,LJ and like the motto of Scotland,no one impugns my integrity lightly.

LadyJ

Sue,

This isn't about you. You clearly said that you don't have the ability to read or pull PMs and I believe you.

You will note that my "p.s." was added before you said that this was down to a glitch as opposed to having been pulled.

However, I am aware of this having happened in other forums (not necessarily relating to Diabetes) and when I heard of this example, I just thought I would ask the question and see whether PMs are in fact monitored. Because that would a) make me think twice about using the forum; and b) require you to tell users about it!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Right LJ,I have received a PM from Admin and he also can not access PM's so,in answer to your question,no mod or admin can access,read or in any way interfere with the Pm's on this forum.Therefore the problem must be outwith our scope.What the problem is,however I cannot answer.I hope this puts your mind to rest about privacy issues.

Barcodius

sugarless sue said:
Right LJ,I have received a PM from Admin and he also can not access PM's
Incorrect. I have in the past retrieved the text of a PM from a backup of a closed phpbb forum on request of the sender. Doing this on a live server would be no different.

sugarless sue said:
no mod or admin can access,read or in any way interfere with the Pm's on this forum.
Also incorrect. Anyone with database access can do what they want with PMs.

sugarless sue said:
Therefore the problem must be outwith our scope.What the problem is,however I cannot answer.I hope this puts your mind to rest about privacy issues.
Unless I am missing something the problem is down to one of three things:
1) A bug in phpbb which does not appear to have been reported by anyone else except in connection with migration or upgrade
2) Deliberate tampering by someone with permission to access to the database
3) Deliberate tampering by someone without permission to access the database.

I think you should be concerned about option 3 if nothing else.

Incidentally there's an interesting discussion on phpbb.com regarding the ethical issues of the "private" message system, particularly regarding the name. Of course since this is a UK domain then the data protection act and computer misuse acts are relevant.

Barcodius.
IT Consultant and former admin of 6 phpbb forums.

Pattidevans

Eddie and Sue

I don't think anyone is calling into doubt Sue's integrity nor her hard work. As one of the moderator team and admin team of a forum I am well aware of the amount of time it takes and the amount of personal commitment. However, there are security issues which I am also aware of, and attacks by hackers are less than uncommon. I am sure that the warnings issued aren't issued with any bad intent but should, nevertheless, be heeded!

What is rather undecided here in this forum is "who is admin?" and that is the worrying bit for me as a member.

Pattidevans

Well, let me just say this Sue... for a very long time I was a moderator on another forum and I was only "instructed" what I could and couldn't do. I did not personally "know" the admin . Initially the forum was left to it's own devices which was OK because the mods managed well, and then all of a sudden "admin" reappeared with some commercial interests which did not coincide with what the other mod and I felt were appropriate. I will not say anything further on this subject.

All I would say is that if I were to have the responsibility (and it is HUGE responsibility and I can see you take it very seriously) again, I would want to know the admin on a personal level.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Patti,I not only moderate for this forum but for another,much bigger forum,indeed probably one of the biggest with over 300,000 members.I am well aware of how forums work and what powers the admins can have.As a member here for some time you must be perfectly well aware of who the Admin is as he posts fairly frequently on the forum.
I would like to know exactly what your concerns are and why.If you wish to Pm me feel free if it is not for the eyes of the public forum.

Tiger Lily

fasteddie said:
Hi Pattidevans

What's your real angle on this, I am intrigued.

Eddie

are you into 'conspiracy theories' ???

wasn't the post plain enough

there is only 1 forum that i occassionally read that the 'Admin' isn't a known presence

what's the big secret?

Barcodius

fasteddie said:
Hi Barcodius

What is the purpose of your posting ? Surely if you were genuinely interested in the security of this forum you would have sent a private message to the administrator. Are you looking for a job or trying to impress us with your acumen. We await with interest.

Eddie

Eddie,

You seem to be suggesting that I send a PM regarding the fact that PMs are going missing.

To apparently the one person who has the required access to remove PMs.

Also the question of privacy has been raised in relation to this matter. Do you think discussion of that is best handled behind closed doors?

I'm not looking for a job, but thought that since it was my first post to this forum it would be wise to point out some of my background. i.e. the fact that I know what I am talking about when it comes to the technical issues and contradicting a statement which was incorrect.

Incidentally in relation to your other post, has someone actually suggested that Sue reads PMs? I think I missed that one.

Tiger Lily

fasteddie said:
Tiger Lily

We are not as daft as you think. I have watching you and your cohort and alter ego tonight and if you keep up the this charade I will have to expose you.

Eddie

bwha ha ha

you will have to 'expose' me????

have at 'er!

alter ego??? please, do tell :)