Guardian: Diabetes patients at risk from medication mistakes

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
One in three hospital patients with condition affected by errors that could lead to dangerously high or low blood glucose levels

Nearly one in three hospital patients with diabetes are affected by medication mistakes that can lead to dangerously high or low blood glucose levels, checks have revealed. Hospitals in England and Wales made at least one error in the treatment of 3,700 people with diabetes during just one week, according to an audit covering nearly 13,000 patients at 230 hospitals. This represented a small improvement on previous figures for England alone, but Diabetes UK, the main charity in the field, said the overall picture was an "indictment" on NHS care for those with the condition.

DUK chief executive, Barbara Young, said: "The fact that there are so many mistakes, and that for some people a stay in hospital means they get worse, should simply not be happening."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... sfeed=true

I think that this is a serious concern for all diabetics.

Grazer

Re: Guardian: Diabetes patients at risk from medication mist

Great spot stephen. Something I think we've all known or suspected, but at least it's out there a bit. I've always thought that if I have to go into hospital for a spell, I'd have my own meals brought in. For those on medication, the fears must be worse.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Yes this is one to be aware of especially if you have only recently joined the forum. I've been a member for less than 6 months and have been appalled by a number of other members horror stories of what happened in hospital stays. Don't assume hospital staff know anything about diabetes care whatever type you are.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Shockingly bad and unacceptable figures!

As a type 1 I don't leave anything to chance and on the few occasions I've been in hospital I've insisted that I take my own insulin and manage my bg control myself, so far the staff have always been happy with this and merely ask what insulin dosages I give and bg readings before and after eating. It does cause me concern reading these articles if a time came where I wasn't in a position to manage my own diabetes in hospital :(

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

noblehead said:
As a type 1 I don't leave anything to chance and on the few occasions I've been in hospital I've insisted that I take my own insulin and manage my bg control myself, so far the staff have always been happy with this and merely ask what insulin dosages I give and bg readings before and after eating. It does cause me concern reading these articles if a time came where I wasn't in a position to manage my own diabetes in hospital :(

I guess that you need to grow pointy elbows and stand your ground. Most of us informed diabetics would probably stand our ground, but lots of people obviously do exactly as they are told with horrible consequences.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

borofergie said:
I guess that you need to grow pointy elbows and stand your ground. Most of us informed diabetics would probably stand our ground, but lots of people obviously do exactly as they are told with horrible consequences.

I've not really had to stand my ground as such as so far they have been quite happy that I manage my diabetes myself, I know from reading other type 1's experiences on the forum there are others that do likewise and take their own insulin and bg meter. I might be wrong but I'm sure DUK campaigned a few years back to allow type 1's to manage their condition themselves whilst being an in-patient, when I was in hospital with a broken leg 20 years ago this wasn't allowed and all medication was locked away and you had to ask for your supplies.

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I was called in to my surgery and told that as I was diabetic now, they were changing my heart/blood pressure medication from Irbesartan to Ramipril "as it's better suited to diabetics". Within four weeks I had started itching and coming out in a rash and spots and am now suffering with extensive Lichen Planus. I have heard on the grapevine that the real reason they changed my medication was because the one I was taking cost £9.99 per month whereas the Ramipril was £1.99 a month. They have now had to put me back on the Irbesartan, it has cost them goodness knows what to have had a biopsy taken and investigated to determine the skin problem and I am left looking like someone with chicken pox and told it may take 18 months - 2 years to clear up!

Artichoke

carophie04 that's terrible I'd complain to the PCT if it were me (((carophie04)))