Things we cannot use or take as diabetics

minitata

Sharp knives - we may cut ourselves. I was asked by a seller of large handled knives if I was diabetic as they could be dangerous.

I'm also a wheelchair user and have been told more than once that I'm not allowed in places as I'm a fire hazard. I have replied that if I burst into flames just use a bucket of water. :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
minitata said:
I'm also a wheelchair user and have been told more than once that I'm not allowed in places as I'm a fire hazard. I have replied that if I burst into flames just use a bucket of water. :lol:

:shock:

I like your reply :lol:

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
This made me laugh. Reminds me of packets of peanuts that have a warning: contains peanuts!

I recently asked for sugar free or at least information about how much sugar/carb were in the actually cold/flu satchets so I could at least cover with the required amount of insulin. The chemist staff were embarassed and rather surprised that this information wasn't available...

Sometimes I have to complete questionnaires e.g at a beauty spa, hospital etc

I booked a foot fish spa last year for me and my sister as I was concious of my very dry heels

I had to complete a form, and there was a question asking if I was a Diabetic. I delibrately put on it 'no' - well at the time I wasn't on any treatment or diet, I wasn't even properly diagnosed other than T2 ? - I had already had my feet "tickled" (as part of my annual eye/feet check up) and was okayed so on instinct I thought to myself, if I declared I was Diabetic the staff in their potentially over cautious state (fear of being sued) would stop me using the spa.

Incidently used the foot spa once and it didn't really make a difference anyway

I was recently told to complete a form for a new run group I've joined and had add any illness/injuries that are important. So I put down 'recently diagnosed Diabetic type1 - on insulin'

She's never even came over to ask about it...

I also joined a weekly Zumba class and had to sign a health form, I put on the same details.

The instructor's never asked me about it...

Does this mean they've had training to deal with me if I become ill? :angel:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
None of the things that are bad for diabetics applies to me cause I cant have diabetes as I am skinny .Every body says so :!: :crazy:
CAROL

Unbeliever

carty said:
None of the things that are bad for diabetics applies to me cause I cant have diabetes as I am skinny .Every body says so :!: :crazy:
CAROL

Yeah, they say that to me too.. Pair of frauds we are! After all, heere are SO many advantages to having diabetes!
They really can't blame us :lol:

Oh and my retinopahy can't be TOO bad because I don't even wear glasses {tell that to my consultant}.

These deviant skinny types..........

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think we may be banned from the forum if we dont conform :?
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carty. No, there are too may of us T2s who are skinny to be banned!

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I see some of the serious ones are still lurking. !!

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I went scuba diving in Rhodes on holiday and declared my type2 on the pre-drive health form and had to see the doctor to get the ok before i was allowed to dive. As a result I had to have my own personal instructor. The kids thought it was hilarious and called me "special" for the rest of the day made worse when we did the dive he pretty much held onto my tank the whole time so every picture looks like we are attached. It was only a 25 minute dive but hey was concerned that I may of gone low. the rest of the family did a second dive in the afternoon, i gave it a miss to save the embarrassment.

Artichoke

Lo Salt has a warning for diabetics to check with their doctor. I used it for a month instead of salt on boiled eggs and it put my potassium levels ups so I'm guessing that's why.

Unbeliever

Defren said:
Daibell said:
Hi Carty. No, there are too may of us T2s who are skinny to be banned!

I'm almost skinny now, so can I join the skinny diabetic club (soon) please? :D

Only if you promise to give credit where it is due. that would be your DSN or overall to DUK. After all, where would you be without all those lovely starchy carbs?
When you are finally skinny enough to join the club you must have a word with my practice diabetes nurse. She will explaain that
there is actually no such thing as a skinny T2. if any appear to be of normal weight it is only because they are excreting all the sugar via their urine..
You laypersons would never think of a thing like that. Takes an HCP.

Defren

I promise to give credit where it's due, I shall begin to prepare my acceptance speech. :lol:

I seriously can't criticise my GP or DSN so shall make my criticism at HCP's in particular, while making sure I win an Oscar for the my defense of DUK and the NHS :lol:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
How about these -

Beer - Caution May be wet
Ice cream - Caution Contents may be cold
Light - Caution May be Bright
People - Caution May not be bright

Clover

Jacuzzi - at a spa

Consult with a doctor first: Read the H & S sign as I settled down to my first experience of said item. Couldn't see a phone, decided it was too late anyway :shifty:

:lol:

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I having been using an electric duvet for about three years. When I was diagnosed with type 1 18 months ago I noticed it said "not suitable for diabetics". Same for my hot water bottle and period pain heat pads.

Called DiabetesUK careline about the duvet and they said it was fine. Spoke to my GP about the heat pads. He said the warning wasn't in case it burnt me it was in case I placed the heat pad on an area where I had recently injected. This could cause me to go hypo as heat speeds up the absorption of the insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
glucosegirl said:
I having been using an electric duvet for about three years. When I was diagnosed with type 1 18 months ago I noticed it said "not suitable for diabetics". Same for my hot water bottle and period pain heat pads.

Called DiabetesUK careline about the duvet and they said it was fine. Spoke to my GP about the heat pads. He said the warning wasn't in case it burnt me it was in case I placed the heat pad on an area where I had recently injected. This could cause me to go hypo as heat speeds up the absorption of the insulin.

Hot water bottles and heat pads could be harmful for those with diabetic neuropathy and hence why the warnings, here's a good explanation of it glucosegirl:

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/n ... index.aspx