big toe accident -help?!!!!

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
Recently (3+ weeks) diagnosed Type 2 - so still getting my head round things.
Anyway i was just coming downstairs (in bare feet i must admit!!) & failed to notice that Dusty my 15 week old Jack Russell puppy had done a wee on the tiled kitchen floor at the bottom of the stairs!! i trod in it & went flying - my right foot wedged forcibly under the vac that was against the wall- in doing so i have managed to badly bruise my ankle & worse, rip my big toe nail off!! It has bled quite a lot & is very sore. Because i got no advice from the practice nurse about looking after my feet- but obviously knowing that i need to take extra care of them now, Im a bit unsure whether i should do anything? This is made slightly worse by the fact that i cant just stick a plaster on as im severely allergic to elastoplast!!!
Any advice gratefully received.

(As an aside am feeling really pleased with myself as im now regularly getting BG levels in the 5's - down from 19.8!!!) :p

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
It was years ago that I had a similar injury but it was my Thumb nail instead,very sore indeed but I was instructed to salt water bathe it 2 or 3 times a day in a small bowl to help prevent infection and promote healing of the exposed raw tissue,it DID grow back in the end but seemed to take an eternity{sigh} but I wasn't diabetic back then so maybe you should phone up your surgery for advice to be on the safe side! :wink:

BTW,Well done on those lower readings! :thumbup:

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks & thanks Paul!!!
Rang the surgery to ask for advice- asked to speak to one of the practice nurses but that wasnt possible so explained my dilemma- receptionist spoke to a colleague & then said i should go down there so i did.
Went in to see practice nurse & after explaining what had happened & my reason for being worried- she gave me a serious 'dressing down' for going to the surgery when they werent an A&E department & what was she supposed to do anyway etc etc. I apologised if i had gone in inappropriately but that is why i had rung for advice & i had been told previously to go in & see them if i had any worries related to my diabetes. She then said that i shouldve gone to A&E but without really giving me any advice or reassurance. Finally she very reluctantly put a none allergenic plaster on it- just round the side of the toe, so the top - where its likely to get lots of dust etc in-was open to the elements. she then finished by saying i should go back if it got infected?!!!
Stupidly again, i thought it might be better to try & prevent that!!
I am feeling extremely frustated & annoyed. Anyway ive dressed it & will hot saltwater bathe it like you suggested.
Thanks again.

MaryJ

Sunny

I bet if you went to A+E they would have said "why have you come here"

For what it's worth I think you did the right thing. Keep an eye on it and go straight back with any sign of infection.

And

Brilliant job with the readings

Mary x

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I did the same thing a few years ago and it is so painful. I kept it covered with a very light gauze bandage and did the salt water bathing and sometimes put a small amount of germolene on the banadge. I also wore flipflops which was a great fashion statement in the middle of winter! If you do get worried I always get great advice from my local chiropodist who seems to understand feet much better than the GP!
Good Luck

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Mary & Truffle.
Had my Retinopathy screening this morning at the small local hospital. Whilst I was there I mentioned what had happened to a member of staff who noticed my toe (I too am wearing flip flops but it's not too bad in May?!!). She was furious that I hadn't had better treatment/ advice/ support. After my screening (which they said looked fine -relief) they made me go to Minor Injuries- they were really helpful & gave me lots of advice & reassurance & put a good dressing on. So I feel much better ( although I've just had a strange dog walk with me looking like a Diva in my shades - despite it being really overcast- & with my large bandaged toe in flip flops wrapped in a plastic bag because it's wet & muddy underfoot!!!)

MaryJ

lol - i was the same after my retinopathy screen (minus the bandaged toe)

ignore any glances Sunny. Do they not know WHO you are!

Good news re the minor injuries place

Mary x

Artichoke

Well done on the readings sunny ! One thing I was advised in my own second week of having diabetes, was never to go barefoot. I ordered Crocs and have worn them ever since. Really comfortable :)

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Artichoke said:
Well done on the readings sunny ! One thing I was advised in my own second week of having diabetes, was never to go barefoot. I ordered Crocs and have worn them ever since. Really comfortable :)
Crocs are WELL comfy AND practical aren't they!! My Kids cringe at me wearing them though!! :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sunny
with an injury like that, it'ws absolutely essential you keep your blood glucose NORMAL [around 5 at ALL times] Otherwise you risk severe infection.
hana

C

chris lowe

Hi Sunny, poor you - it must be agony. The advise of using salt and water is good, but you could also try adding a bit of tea tree oil which is anti bacterial Can you avoid that particular nurse at the surgery? She sounds a nightmare. Hope it all clears up. :)