My 3 Highest Glucose Retention Foods

Ian Mc1

Hello
After quite a long time not doing home testing I have recently been trying to identify particular foods which cause my blood glucose to shoot up.
Here are my 3.
1. Chocolate covered ice blocks.
2. Muffins
3. Scones
Would appreciate advice of others problem foods with Type 2 diabetes.
Cheers: Ian Mc :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Hi Ian Mc! The worst one I ever had was a Chinese takeaway-Szechuan beef,egg fried rice(small portion) crispy wonton,1 small peice of sesame prawn toast and some deep fried crab claws...Didn't sleep all night for having to drink gallons of water,peeing like a racehorse and a BG meter that couldn't read my level as it was so high :problem: NEVER AGAIN!!!

Ian Mc1

Thanks Paul
Another unexpected one was one of these 1foot long filled rolls but I had a bit of doubt beforehand.
Cheers: Ian Mc

SweetHeart

" I can't even sniff flour"

You can get arrested for sniffing white powder........ :wink:

Anything with flour, especially white flour, is a usually a no no.

Ju

Artichoke

I'm wondering why anyone with Type 2 diabetes not on insulin would be contemplating takeaways, muffins, scones, subways and choc ices :!:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
))Denise(( said:
Scones are good according to this NHS Tayside leaflet http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk/Doc ... e%2009.pdf

I don't think so ....
An example where someone is trying to say something is better than something which is very bad. So they suggest scones or a plain biscuit are better than chocolate, toffee, fudge, tablet, mints, chocolate covered and cream filled biscuits, marzipan . They do say 'in moderation'.
However they obviously haven't looked at the GI. There's only one record of scones on the GI data base. They were made with a packet mix and the GI was 92 (glucose is 100)
To be honest I think any normal scones would inevitably be high as they are mostly (white) flour, heated to a high temperature with very little fat. I suspect a cheese scone would be quite a bit lower as would one made with grainy flour or with added bran.

Quite honestly though I think that the foods you have pointed out are not good for anyone, on an every day basis, whether they have diabetes or not.
Even if these things didn't spike your blood glucose they are all high in calories. It's quite shocking to realise that a 12 inch long Turkey roll may have 820 calories compared with an ordinary turkey sandwich containing about 320; if you ride your bike for 1.5 hours afterwards you might just burn off the extra fuel.
http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/oei_ss/PD1/slide1.htm

celast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SCONES, had a scone ,short while after 11.4 so I went out and mowed all my 3 lawns, came back in and 6.4 it must be the scone.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Artichoke said:
I'm wondering why anyone with Type 2 diabetes not on insulin would be contemplating takeaways, muffins, scones, subways and choc ices :!:
Because in the very early days after diagnosis,when you've been given rubbish diet info from the nurse who says "Chinese takeaway is fine" and you haven't discovered low carbing,you have a takeaway thinking it won't hurt but my meter told me otherwise.besides with tweaking,Indian takeaway as a treat is fine on my levels.

Ian Mc1

This is what I was hoping for when i started the thread Universal identification of the baddie foods for diabetics !!
I swim 1 km or more twice a week and previous after-swim ice blocks and scone or muffin thought would be OK.
Now I find a light lunch of a regular sized filled roll with fruit so much better for after lunch readings.
I guess I've been kidding myself for years that long distance exercise like running, cycling & swimming allow a bit more sweet spoiling,
Not the case for dibetics.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somewhere in the depths of my fund of useless knowledge I seem to remember someone saying that the energy requirement for Dr Roger Bannister to run the 4 minute mile would be contained on one slice of toast.

This is something to remember when you are doing your 1km swim. I hope it doesn't put you off your stroke (or your muffin).

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My worst are rice, pasta or old potatoes mashed.
Hana

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My worst are

1 white bread / to a lesser exten brown bread
2. pasta + rice
3. Breakfast cereals

The most effective (BG wise) for me has been lamb donner kebab meat with heaps of salad, or veg omelettes (without toast)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
  1. Grains
  2. Sugar
  3. Stuff that comes from grains

This stuff is bad for you. Go figure people.