Any good blogs about written by diabetics?

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Question in the title :D

I thought it might help those of use newer to diabetes, or those of us struggling with our spirits/motivation to keep it under control, to read blogs written by others. I don't even know what I'm expecting to read exactly, just thought if anyone knows of any good blogs out there, it would be good to know about them and have a read.

I was thinking of starting my own blog too, but I think I'll be waiting a few more months until I'm a bit more under control as it were, before starting!

berjbruks

purplekat said:
Question in the title :D

I thought it might help those of use newer to diabetes, or those of us struggling with our spirits/motivation to keep it under control, to read blogs written by others. I don't even know what I'm expecting to read exactly, just thought if anyone knows of any good blogs out there, it would be good to know about them and have a read.

I was thinking of starting my own blog too, but I think I'll be waiting a few more months until I'm a bit more under control as it were, before starting!

Yup do you know some reliable blogs about diabetes? I really want to learn more about it. I want to help our community but please share some basic info. I'm having trouble understanding some terms used by other members.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking about putting up a blog. Just need to sit down and design something.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
No, I've not found any yet, but I'm sure there must be some out there. I'm still getting to know all the terms myself :oops: I should probably google them, and find out the meanings!

If you come across any good ones, please share so we can all benefit :)

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BioHaZarD, I've not even thought as far as the design angle! I've got as far as thinking it's going to be one angled towards food for vegetarian diabetics, with observations/descriptions of the life we need to lead thrown in. I've been told my writing style is good, so hopefully that'll mean it's worth the occasional read :thumbup:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
purplekat said:
BioHaZarD, I've not even thought as far as the design angle! I've got as far as thinking it's going to be one angled towards food for vegetarian diabetics, with observations/descriptions of the life we need to lead thrown in. I've been told my writing style is good, so hopefully that'll mean it's worth the occasional read :thumbup:

Sounds good, I was maybe thinking more about blogging me and my daily diet, thoughts, etc with other things like you say recipes etc and common things. Maybe you want to do a joint blog and we can blog about general stuff not just personal (can do a bit of that too!) I can do the blog/site, i am not so great with writing part though.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If you Google "Diabetic Blog" there are many hits, this being the first http://www.invesp.com/blog-rank/Diabetes. I haven't looked at any of these so cant recommend any but it might be a good place to start to get some inspiration.

Personally I dont 'get' blogs' and have no interest in them but if they float your boat :thumbup:

randomange

There was a diabetes blog week recently that will link you to many, many blogs. :) If you google "diabetes blog week 2012", you should find the main page explaining what it is and giving you the links to each of the topics for the week. It's been run for the past three years, and there are about 100 bloggers taking part. The first topic this year was recommending blogs, so you should be able to find something you like. :)

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the heads up randomange - I had no idea the blog week existed! I'll be going to have a look in a few minutes :)
Sid, I'm going to google as well, but currently I'm only really getting online regularly in my lunchbreak at work (on a slow pc) so I thought I'd ask around as well to save me a little time :) Thanks for the link, will have a look at that shortly. This forum goes incredibly slow at work too, or I'd probably be getting more out of it :(
BioHaZarD - that might work quite well :) I think I'd like to get my own more personal blog set up and running first, to get some practice in, some ideas etc, then maybe a more general one (maybe including links to recent research as well as more every day stuff).

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm not a big fan of diabetic blogs. They usually seem to reperesent the general diabetic community - poor control and a high level of ignorance.
I get to meet much better controlled and interesting people in this forum than I do on the rest of the interweb.

It's not really a blog, but Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 site is a great resource for debunking some of the latest rat-science that is used to propose weekly cures for diabetes in the press.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks borofergie, that website looks really good! That's my lunchtime reading sorted (and I notice there's a section on books, so I have excuse to indulge in retail therapy...it's for the good of my health after all :D )